PDA

View Full Version : ESA again..

booradders
01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi all thanks for previous advice.:) I am in receipt of Income Support and and DLA (high rate care and mobilty) . I was due for a review and was expecting to go for a PCA test but have received a letter from DWP stating that as I am in receipt of high rate DLA I am classed as exempt from the medical and will remain so unless my health improves.
I am now left wondering when I will have to go for a medical to be migrated onto ESA ? Does this mean it may be some time or....what?
Any ideas folks please?

js4
01-14-2011, 02:32 PM
As ESA recognises far fewer exemptions from the WCA (DLA high rate care being one of them) you could be called for an assessment when migrated from IB to ESA.

js4
01-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Also migrations from IB to ESA are due to take place between 2011 and 2013 assuming the whole system doesn't collapse under the strain :)

booradders
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
OK thanks for the advice:) I suppose then it may happen next week or next year or anytime in between .I dread it.

Ro 1
01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Not everyone will have to have an assessment for ESA,although most will.The DM may decide to place you in the Support Group after assessing your ESA50.Even,if you have a WCA it does not mean that you will be put in the Work Related Activity Group.You can appeal the decision.

When the ESA50 arrives get help to fill it in from the CAB or a Welfare Rights Officer,gather as much medical evidence as possible & keep your GP & consultants up to date about your health problems & how these affect your ability to work.

Updated info from the DWP 13 Dec 2010:

Between October 2010 and Spring 2014 customers who receive Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance and Income Support paid on the grounds of illness or disability will be assessed for Employment and Support Allowance.

The following benefits are being phased out:

* Incapacity Benefit
* Income Support paid because of an illness or disability
* Severe Disablement Allowance.

Customers who receive these benefits will be reviewed to see if they are eligible for Employment and Support Allowance.

* People who are capable of work will move onto Jobseeker’s Allowance where they satisfy the conditions of entitlement for that benefit.
* People who need more support while they prepare for work will get that help on Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
* Those people who are most disabled or terminally ill will not be expected to look for work and will get the extra support they need on ESA.

These new processes are currently being trialled with 1,700 customers in and around Aberdeen and Burnley. The trials started on the 11 October 2010 and will finish in January 2011. We will then start to reassess people nationally from Spring 2011. This process will take place over the following three years.

The change will not affect:

* people who are already being paid Employment and Support Allowance
* people who reach state pension age before 6 April 2014.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/ib-reassessing-claims/

js4
01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Ro 1

The link you give at the bottom of your reply throws up an Error 404 Object Not Found.

Ro 1
01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for pointing that out,I have placed a fresh link to the DWP reassessment process.

ukbix
01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Not everyone will have to have an assessment for ESA,although most will.The DM may decide to place you in the Support Group after assessing your ESA50.Even,if you have a WCA it does not mean that you will be put in the Work Related Activity Group.You can appeal the decision.

ATOS assess your ESA50 form, and compile a preboard report, this produces a esa85a form,which is sent to the decision maker.
This form tells the decision maker ATOS's recommendation for whether a person is suitable for one of the esa groups without a medical, or if a medical is required.

You can request a copy of the ESA85a form if you are called for medical, please do so, you may find any evidence you submitted was ignored or discounted.

Ro 1
01-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Medical services will arrange for a HCP to provide an opinion on LCW on either an

ESA85 if the claimant has been examined or
ESA85A if the claimant has not been examined.

The questionnaire, the medical report, and any other medical evidence obtained by medical services, are referred to the DM to consider whether the claimant has LCW.

ESA Handbook Chapter 42

js4
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Not everyone will have to have an assessment for ESA,although most will.The DM may decide to place you in the Support Group after assessing your ESA50.

Unlike the old days when the IB50s were sent out by the DM and returned to such doesn't the ESA50s (and IB50s) now get sent out by Atos Medical Services and are returned by to Atos Medical Services to be assessed by a "disability analyst" to determine whether one should be sent for a medical or are Support Group eligible? Then Medical Services advise the DM of their assessment of your ESA50 (or IB50).

Debbie
01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Latest information is that those who are IB exempt will be among the first to be reassessed. This is subject to change and can't be confirmed

js4
01-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Latest information is that those who are IB exempt will be among the first to be reassessed. This is subject to change and can't be confirmed

Doesn't Atos send people who are PCA exempt an IB50 anyway despite the Regulations and procedures stating that an IB113 should be sent out first to the claimant's GP? My point is that as far as Atos is concerned PCA exempt categories are nebulous.