PDA

View Full Version : Buying a mobility car????

sambo-79
02-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi i was after a bit of information i have heard you can buy a mobility car could any body tell me a bit more about this i.e do you have to have a certain amount of years left on your award letter,who do you talk to about choosing this way etc.... Thank you for any infomation left:confused:

tinker
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I believe that you can enquire towards the end of your 3 year contract although it also depends on the make. I was going to buy mine a couple of cars ago but in the end I couldn't afford it.
If you phone Motability they will explain any current arrangements.

CTCELT88
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
The problem with buying the car at the end of the lease, is that Motability offer you a higher price then it woud have sold at an auction. it just isnt worth it. You are better to actually go to one of the auctions and by a ex-motabiity car there.

Glover1862
02-06-2012, 03:03 PM
That's really bad new, we wanted to buy our Vauxhall Insignia 2.0cdti Auto was hoping to get it at a good price but looks like that won't happen. Has anyone every heard of getting a good price form Motability? With these changes having a Motability will be useless as my daughter wonlt be able to drive it as she lives more than 5 miles away.

sambo-79
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM
I seem to heard somewhere that you can pay over 5 years to purchase the car but you do not get insurance and thats another way to buy the car??? i may be wrong.I have to put a down payment on a nissan qashqai,so was just wondering how you could buy the car maybe there is more than one way to do this:confused:

redrobblue
02-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I always buy ex mobility cars, my present one was purchased with 10,500 miles and regular serviced and like new, 4 years later still with the same car, I do have insurance to pay and servicing which totals 520 per annum. You can purchase a car over 5 years through motobility on their hire purchase scheme however as stated before you do need to pay your own servicing and insurance costs. I think if I wanted a new car I would look at the 3 year lease then when that was near to the end, ask for that to be extended by 2 years, and then if you are still happy with the car ask to buy it..

Glover1862
02-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I always buy ex mobility cars, my present one was purchased with 10,500 miles and regular serviced and like new, 4 years later still with the same car, I do have insurance to pay and servicing which totals 520 per annum. You can purchase a car over 5 years through motobility on their hire purchase scheme however as stated before you do need to pay your own servicing and insurance costs. I think if I wanted a new car I would look at the 3 year lease then when that was near to the end, ask for that to be extended by 2 years, and then if you are still happy with the car ask to buy it..

But did you buy direct from Motability or Auction? The hire purchase is basically a loan from Motability, not sure what their rates are. I've heard that motability charge a premium of 5% over book value which seems a little unfair. Only thing going for the Insignia is they drop in value a lot, with all these changes quite a lot of people will be giving up their cars and maybe they will review their resell policy, hopefully making it cheaper.

Lighttouch
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
But did you buy direct from Motability or Auction? The hire purchase is basically a loan from Motability, not sure what their rates are. I've heard that motability charge a premium of 5% over book value which seems a little unfair. Only thing going for the Insignia is they drop in value a lot, with all these changes quite a lot of people will be giving up their cars and maybe they will review their resell policy, hopefully making it cheaper.

I'm very happy with my present motability lease hire car. Before the 3 years were up I asked if I could either buy the car off them or extend the lease. As my mileage was low they said I could extend the lease another two years - I took that option. Good job as a major thing went wrong with the engine and motability repaired it free of charge to me otherwise it would have cost me 800 to repair if I'd owned it!

However, I will buy the car off motabilty after five years but will have to pay for insurance, servicing, repairs, AA and take the hit for depreciation too. I plan to buy the car from motability. They will send me a fixed quote of the cars value based on age, mileage and condition. As they are a not-for-profit organisation they won't be adding on a 'handling charge'. It'll be at least a 1000 less than a garage forecourt price and I'll know it's servicing history.

Shop around online for a loan - you don't have to use motability to fund the loan.

Glover1862
02-07-2012, 07:04 PM
As they are a not-for-profit organisation they won't be adding on a 'handling charge'. It'll be at least a 1000 less than a garage forecourt price and I'll know it's servicing history.

Shop around online for a loan - you don't have to use motability to fund the loan.

I hope you are right but having done a little research Motability seem to charge a premium for their cars not a discount, it's fairly common for most lease companies to operate like this. Someone best described it as paying the "buy it now" price on ebay which is normally more than if the auction runs it cause. I've been advised by our current dealer that it will more than likely to be cheaper if we follow the car to auction than buy from Motability, have Motability told you that it will be at least 1000 cheaper retail or did you get the information from someone who has done it?

I believe Motability will give an additional years warranty, however Im not 100% certain, seems a lot of conflicting information regarding this, perhaps someone who has enquired about buying could comment.

redrobblue
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

I bought my Vauxhall from a Vauxhall dealer but any dealer can get you any ex-mobility car and would be upto you to negotiate a good price. I have only bought once from an auction and that was enough for me!! If you put into Google a search I am sure there would be a dealer or trader that would help or advise, the only downside to buying this way is that altthough you get all the stats like mileage, colour, etc you do not see the actual car, then again if buying new you don't. With regards to hie purchase give Motability a call.

Paul
02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Ex-Motability Car Auctions
http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/default.aspx?page=453

Daddyo
08-15-2012, 07:22 PM
The problem with buying the car at the end of the lease, is that Motability offer you a higher price then it woud have sold at an auction. it just isnt worth it. You are better to actually go to one of the auctions and by a ex-motabiity car there.

I just spoke with Motability Operations regarding this very subject, they claim they will offer the car for sale to customers at mid book price and will ensure that there is a twelve month extended warranty given with each car sold to their customers.

So, for me, who does fully intend to buy my current car at the end of this lease, I find this an attractive proposition, reason, straight forward, I know exactly how my car has been treated, driven and what if any repairs have been carried out.

In otherwords from day 1, I have taken full responsibility for the car, its treatment etc. So for me, knowing how well the car has been treated, I am happy to take a slight "hit" for this privilege. The issue with buying from auction is that you simply do not know how the car has been irrespective of it being ex -Motability, I have seen some terrible damage inflicted on these cars through simple neglect and couldn't care less attitude because the penalties for "acceptable damage" - not in my book sunshine, are so low.

When my 3 year lease is up the car will remain in virtually as new condition so the "premium" and remember that is only against auction prices, not showroom, is simply worth paying to know exactly what I am getting with a three year old car and not listening for every little knock or rattle when I drive it away, no nasty surprises on the paintwork or interior either.

paul1234
08-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I could have purchased my last car from motability for 11200. Its now up for sale at a main dealers for 11795. Both prices include a 12 month warranty but the latter also includes 2 years free servicing worth around 300.
I don't think the dealer has done much to the car other than valet it but demonstrates that motability really do want top money for the car, almost main dealer prices. You do however get a car with a full history and fitted with all your tailor made extra's.

CTCELT88
08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I could have purchased my last car from motability for 11200. Its now up for sale at a main dealers for 11795. Both prices include a 12 month warranty but the latter also includes 2 years free servicing worth around 300.
I don't think the dealer has done much to the car other than valet it but demonstrates that motability really do want top money for the car, almost main dealer prices. You do however get a car with a full history and fitted with all your tailor made extra's.If I wanted to buy my current car at the end of the lease, I imagine my Golf would go for roughly the same price as yours did, after 3 years. Only problem I might have, is that I have hand controls. Not sure if I would be able to keep them after 3 years, or if I would have to get new ones fitted. It is a another 3 years to think about it, but not sure if I would buy my car after the lease.

littlebib
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
sometimes is better go for second hand car

Lighttouch
08-24-2012, 07:24 PM

I've had my Motability car for 4 years 9 months and enquired if I could buy it off them after the 5 years (I had a two year extension added).

Yes for a sum of 300. This would include a one year warranty too.

I would need to insure it annually and service it every 18 months. I found an insurance company who would offer 'added no claims bonus years, policy protection and AA home start specifically aimed at ex-motability customers for 430 pa. And Motabiity may also give me 450 cash back for looking after the car subject to an inspection in November.

Lease hire - As the new Renault Scenic Automatic advance payment is 2295 and a years mobility comes to 2808 = 5103 - 450 cash back - 4653 plus two years more mobility payments totals 10269 over three years with nothing at the end of the lease.

Buying - 4300 plus insurance of 430 = 4730 -450 cash back = 4280.
So in my opinion I can have a perfectly sound accessible car for the next three years costing 4280
service twice - 300
MOT - two more times - 150
Insurance for two more years 900
Repairs - 500 as a guess over 3 years
= 2000

Total cost to buy existing car plus service/repairs//insurance/AA assistance - 4280 plus 2000 = 6280!!
A saving of 3989 over three years (eg 25 a week) and a car to sell (worth about 1000 after another three years) or keep.

What are your views remembering that PIP is introduced in October 2013 and you might need to hand your lease hire car back after reassessment.

littlebib
08-25-2012, 09:09 AM
cars are so expensive I have friend who uses public transport, taxi and on some weekends hires a car.

Lighttouch
08-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes I agree - cars are expensive. But I can't use public transport. I also like the freedom of being independent and can go anywhere at the drop of a hat without relying on anyone.

littlebib
08-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Yes I agree - cars are expensive. But I can't use public transport. I also like the freedom of being independent and can go anywhere at the drop of a hat without relying on anyone.

this is why motability is so good, my friend has no disability and chooses not to buy a car due to high cost. a weekends car hire for a wedding was under 75

Paul
08-25-2012, 02:41 PM
It's not just about the money for me, it's about being able to rely on the transport.

in a new car you generally have better chance of it being reliable, but hopefully in 3 years time (with no reliability problems) I'll buy this car.

It's always better to know the car's history, than taking a chance on an unknown second hand car.

littlebib
08-25-2012, 03:32 PM
true, my friend lives in central london, lots of buses trams and trains. in some areas there is little or nothing.

Paul
08-25-2012, 06:46 PM
If I was to use public transport to get to and from work I'd have to:

To Work
05:35 - Leave home & Walk to Bus stop - 20mins
05:55 - Catch Bus to Bus Station - 15mins
06:10 - Wait - 20mins
06:30 - Catch Bus to Work - 32mins
07:02 - Walk from Bus Stop to Building - 15mins
07:17 - Arrive at Work

To Home
15:30 - Finish work & Walk to Bus stop - 15mins
15:45 - Wait - 17mins
16:02 - Catch Bus to Bus station - 35mins
16:37 - Wait - 13mins
16:50 - Catch Bus to Bus stop - 27mins
17:17 - Walk home - 20mins
17:37 - Arrive home

Now apart from not being able to walk more than a couple of minutes without serious pain, the use of public transport would add almost 4hrs to my day!

At the moment it takes 20mins to drive to work and 30mins to get home.
I leave home at 06:30, get to work at 06:50 and leave to go home at 15:30 and arrive home at 16:00

I think the politicians forget about us outside of London when it comes to public transport, and I live in a City too!

I have no choice but to drive if I want to work.

CTCELT88
08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
If I was to use public transport to get to and from work I'd have to:

To Work
05:35 - Leave home & Walk to Bus stop - 20mins
05:55 - Catch Bus to Bus Station - 15mins
06:10 - Wait - 20mins
06:30 - Catch Bus to Work - 32mins
07:02 - Walk from Bus Stop to Building - 15mins
07:17 - Arrive at Work

To Home
15:30 - Finish work & Walk to Bus stop - 15mins
15:45 - Wait - 17mins
16:02 - Catch Bus to Bus station - 35mins
16:37 - Wait - 13mins
16:50 - Catch Bus to Bus stop - 27mins
17:17 - Walk home - 20mins
17:37 - Arrive home

Now apart from not being able to walk more than a couple of minutes without serious pain, the use of public transport would add almost 4hrs to my day!

At the moment it takes 20mins to drive to work and 30mins to get home.
I leave home at 06:30, get to work at 06:50 and leave to go home at 15:30 and arrive home at 16:00

I think the politicians forget about us outside of London when it comes to public transport, and I live in a City too!

I have no choice but to drive if I want to work.I am in the same situation as you Paul. I work 30 miles away, if I had to use public transport, then I would have to take two buses, then get a taxi to where I work. It would take me over two hours to get to work by bus. Taking the car, it takes me 40-45 minutes to get to my work. Now, if I could get a bus to pick me up directly outside my house, and drop me off outside my work, then that would be a option...:)

littlebib
08-26-2012, 10:30 AM
i visited a friend in suffolk, 4 buses a day, none sundays, last one at 6pm. another friend in london has a 1 minute walk to bus stop, 7 buses, and 2 minute walk to tube, what a difference. In house prices too

Lighttouch
08-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes when I worked in the centre of Manchester (only 35 years( I travelled 7 miles to work in rush hour traffic taking about 40 minutes each way. Come school holidays I could make the same journey in 25 minutes!!

I only live a mile away from an accessible tram that goes into tow every 6 minutes during rush hour and every 12 minutes off peak. Two problems with the tram - I need a taxi to and from the tram to get into work. They are packed like sardines at night - shoulder to shoulder - if you can squeeze in!

Parking in town would have cost 7 a day but the organisation I worked for covered this cost if you were a blue badge holder. So you have to have nerves of steel driving into town and deep pockets unless you were subsidized.

How any disabled staff could afford to work in the city centre without financial help is beyond me. If you don't secure PIP mobility component after assessment in a few years time it might make disabled people think twice about getting a job.

Having a car is a necessity not a luxury.

What's your view?

CTCELT88
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes when I worked in the centre of Manchester (only 35 years( I travelled 7 miles to work in rush hour traffic taking about 40 minutes each way. Come school holidays I could make the same journey in 25 minutes!!

I only live a mile away from an accessible tram that goes into tow every 6 minutes during rush hour and every 12 minutes off peak. Two problems with the tram - I need a taxi to and from the tram to get into work. They are packed like sardines at night - shoulder to shoulder - if you can squeeze in!

Parking in town would have cost 7 a day but the organisation I worked for covered this cost if you were a blue badge holder. So you have to have nerves of steel driving into town and deep pockets unless you were subsidized.

How any disabled staff could afford to work in the city centre without financial help is beyond me. If you don't secure PIP mobility component after assessment in a few years time it might make disabled people think twice about getting a job.

Having a car is a necessity not a luxury.

What's your view?I agree with you lighttouch. Problem with this Government, is that they aren't thinking about disabled people who work who need a car to get to work, having the high rate DLA is essential in order to achieve this. If so many don't get enhanced PIP, then I think a lot will lose their jobs and will find it difficult to get another one without a car. My situation is a concern when I get assessed, heavens knows when that will be. I'm trying not to think about it now, but when it does get nearer, it will be a worry. Everyone will be in the same situation.

littlebib
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
i dont wanna think about it either

Rachael-7
08-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Lighttouch- TOTALLY AGREE!! My motability car is not about the expense - that handiness and independancd my car brings plus the knowledge of worry-free and hassle-free motoring is invaluable! (to me anyways!)

I too work in the centre of Manchester at NHS hospital and I have to pay to park, but it's not extortionate, but I do have other issues at moment with provision of disabled staff parking. Public transport for me on a daily basis is not an option, the nearest train station and bus stop are not within walkable distance of my house, so I need my car, I would not be able to get to work without it. public transport alternative to work would be a taxi to the train station and then 2 trains and 1 bus journey, not really a feasible option...

Also my car too is not a luxury it's a necessity for me to get to work, I think the motability scheme is excellent for providing this service and make this available to disable people. Not sure how PIP will pan out, but without my motability car my standard of life would be terrible and in order to remain working I would have to move house, and I'm not sure rental prices in centre of manchester are favourable or good value for money.

Rachael :)

Rachael-7
08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
CTCELT88- it is a worry, as you qualify for higher-rate DLA and not knowing the criteria for enhanced or standard PIP is a worry, the government say they're making the change as DLA is too focused on physically dosabilitys- but couldn't they just amend the application form? Not sure why a whole new replacement benefit is necessary. Definitely is a worry though. I'm glad I've now found these online forums as I'm sure as the time gets nearer to the new assessments that we can discuss what each other has found out.

One reassuring thing I found in the FAQs for PIP when it's comes in is that if you don't qualify for PIP for any reason your current DLA claim will stand until it finishes, but if you do qualify for PIP then this will replace your current DLA claim... Not sure about the greyness or if you find you don't qualify for the enhanced PIP where you will stand in opting to retain DLA until your current DLA claim ends. Also do not know which grade of PIP you will require to qualify for motability, as they will have the separate PIP sections for different needs.

CTCELT88
08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
CTCELT88- it is a worry, as you qualify for higher-rate DLA and not knowing the criteria for enhanced or standard PIP is a worry, the government say they're making the change as DLA is too focused on physically dosabilitys- but couldn't they just amend the application form? Not sure why a whole new replacement benefit is necessary. Definitely is a worry though. I'm glad I've now found these online forums as I'm sure as the time gets nearer to the new assessments that we can discuss what each other has found out.

One reassuring thing I found in the FAQs for PIP when it's comes in is that if you don't qualify for PIP for any reason your current DLA claim will stand until it finishes, but if you do qualify for PIP then this will replace your current DLA claim... Not sure about the greyness or if you find you don't qualify for the enhanced PIP where you will stand in opting to retain DLA until your current DLA claim ends. Also do not know which grade of PIP you will require to qualify for motability, as they will have the separate PIP sections for different needs.Motability have already confirmed that only enhanced PIP will qualify for Motability. Only time will tell what the impact will be for Motability.

Rachael-7
08-27-2012, 11:27 PM
CTCELT88- good to know, yes indeed we will have to wait to find out what qualifies for enhanced PIP. You would hope that the requirements for enhanced mobility PIP would be comparably with higher-rate mobility component of DLA... Well You would hope anyways...

Common sense and government policies- ultimate oxymoron?!

littlebib
08-28-2012, 09:46 AM

One reassuring thing I found in the FAQs for PIP when it's comes in is that if you don't qualify for PIP for any reason your current DLA claim will stand until it finishes, but if you do qualify for PIP then this will replace your current DLA claim... Not sure about the greyness or if you find you don't qualify for the enhanced PIP where you will stand in opting to retain DLA until your current DLA claim ends. Also do not know which grade of PIP you will require to qualify for motability, as they will have the separate PIP sections for different needs.

does it mean DLA will continue until end of lease? if DLA is indefinate, in theory it never runs out.

Rachael-7
08-28-2012, 09:59 PM
littlebib- the FAQs do say a separate part about DLA indefinite awards and I think if you are of working age, you will have to move over to PIP when that will be mandatory I couldn't say, as it doesn't apply to me so I didn't Read that section....

See PIP FAQs and myth buster page...
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/pip-faqs-and-myth-buster/

littlebib
08-29-2012, 07:46 AM
worrying times ahead.

wazza
08-29-2012, 11:41 PM
worrying times ahead.

true but just enjoy what you have for the time being and make allowance in case it hits the fan

littlebib
08-30-2012, 09:19 AM
this is the best way forward

tinker
08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
I've just read through the PDFs, talk about Owellian Doublespeak!
I particularly like the way they say 'we will ask you if you want to claim Personal Independence Payment even if you have an indefinite award' as if we have any choice in the matter.
Then they say 'If you satisfy the entitlement criteria for the new benefit, you will be awarded Personal Independence Payment and your payment of DLA will stop.
If you are assessed as not entitled to Personal Independence Payment, or choose not to claim it, you will not be able to retain your DLA as an alternative'
I swapped my old van for a Mobility car years ago, where we live there is NO public transport options, the last bus route has just ceased.
Without my DLA there is no-way I could retain any hope of being mobile.We have our house on the market hoping to move into town but it's been a year now & despite 3 massive price cuts and plenty of interest had no joy yet.