PDA

View Full Version : What age Pension Credit?

Pink Frog
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
My hubby turned 60 in November 2010, I am only 55.

Recently we received a letter from Jobcentreplus about our income support.

The letter states that hubby is "approaching the age where you are no longer entitled to Income Support and therefore should apply for Pension Credit etc..."

We currently receive more than the £202.40 couple rate for pension credit.

Our income support is made up of IS, Disability Premium, Severe disability premium, totalling approx £249 pw, plus DLA at appropriate rate x2.

We both receive DLA at HRM and MRC. We also receive SDP x2 as we live alone and no one claims carers allowance.

I wasn't sure if hubby is entitled to claim his pension until he reaches 65 which is 2015.
We also have the option to change the IS claim to my name, seeing as I am only 55.

So do we apply for pension credit? We did ring JCP and they advised to claim PC.

I also rang our local Welfare Rights line this morning and was advised to claim as we would be approx £50 pw better off. Which equates to £202.40 PC, plus SDP x2 £107.30 Total £309.70 pw

We have also rang Pension Credit Line and they are sending out a claim form.

My confusion lies in that I thought you could only claim Pension Credit when you reached pensionable age, which I was under the impression is 65 for a man and 60 for a woman. I am aware the goal posts are going to change in the next few years with regards pension retirement age.
I have used the gov pension credit calculator and I get the following message
We cannot give you an estimate of Pension Credit as you have not yet reached the minimum age at which you can claim Pension Credit.

So can someone please clarify for me, how come my hubby can now claim PC :confused:

Will anything else change?
We currently receive HB, full council tax paid, free dental treatment and glasses.
Any advice much appreciated and good to be back on YA :D

Duncan
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Your husband can claim Pension Credit because he is over the age of 60. Simples:D

Pink Frog
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the reply Duncan. I found a great little Pension Credit fact sheet on Age UK last night. It gives the ages and dates a person over 60 can start their claim.
Apparently my hubby can start claiming PC from 6th May 2011 :D

Pension Credit Fact Sheet (http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/FS19The_State_Pension_fcs.pdf?epslanguage=en-GB?dtrk=true)

trickiedickie
03-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Good Morning. If your hubby was 60 Nov 2010 then from 6th May 2011/6th July 2011 then you are entitled to Pension Credit. Depends when in November his birthday fell. Pension Credit is more Generous then IS so make a claim. If you get Pension Credit Guarantee your Council Tax is also paid. On top of £202:40 you get the disability premiums so go fo it. My Wife and i were better off. I was on IS.
TD

Pink Frog
03-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks TD :cool: Just waiting on the claim form to arrive now. Took a look at it online last night and looks simple enough to complete.

Montey
03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi, something you should be aware of comming soon if the Welfare Reform Bill going through Parliament is passed in it's present form.

"Quote"
WELFARE REFORM BILL EXPLANATORY NOTES:

Page 22
145. Paragraph 64 amends the State Pension Credit Act 2002 so that a member of a couple who has attained the qualifying age for state pension credit may not receive state pension credit if the other member of the couple has not attained that qualifying age. This is to ensure that all claimants who have not attained the qualifying age for state pension credit are required to claim universal credit and, if appropriate, be subject to work-related conditions of entitlement.

And in the Welfare Reform Bill itself,

"Quote"
Page 113
State Pension Credit Act 2002 (c. 16)

Paragraph 64 In section 4 of the State Pension Credit Act 2002 (exclusions), after subsection
(1) there is inserted—

“(1A) A claimant is not entitled to state pension credit if he is a member of
a couple the other member of which has not attained the qualifying age.”

This of course will have a big impact for people on Pension Credit who are already struggling with the winter fuel bills and rising costs, so let's start contacting our MP's now to protest before it gets passed.

Pink Frog
03-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Montey, surely if our PC goes through before any bill is passed, they can't take PC off us.
Form arrived today and is filled in ready for posting.

Account removed
03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Sadly yes they can, but I've not seen anything which says they are going to stop it, they may well keep it at the same amount or even bring in rules so some people cannot get it, like means testing the benefits.

But like they are going to do if your a coupe then it's going to be impossible to get pension credits until your both of pension age.

But heck it's nothing knew is it, this is a Tory Government.

trickiedickie
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Yes sadly its true they can take it away. Remember the Leaders debate when Gordon Brown pushed Cameron on Pension Credit to keep it and Cameron said he would? Another Tory broken promise.
I like others waited to claim Pension Credit so got out of all medical hassles and work focused interviews well here i am back sweating again My Wife is five years younger then me so it could be years to get Pension Credit again but expect it will be abolished completely by that time? If i lose Pension Credit and claim Universal Credit we expect to be really really worse off?
Looks like trying to sell bungalow for the best price we can get and sort things out from there?
TD

Pink Frog
03-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I dread to think what would happen if a 60 year old man was married to a much younger woman of say 30-40 :mad:

Account removed
03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Then they would have to wait until the other person would reach 68 to retire, which may well by then be 70 to get a pension.

trickiedickie
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Thought members would like to read this Article in Today's Paper?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-eyes-reform-of-basic-state-pension-2235151.html#
TD

Account removed
03-09-2011, 06:25 AM
I will wait until I see the nuts and bolts of this, bet you somewhere we will end up losing something

Pink Frog
06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Just an update. PC was claimed at beginning of March and we received out first payment on 2nd June. We are £70 a week better off. We had to make several phone calls to get things confirmed. Still not received a letter stating how much our payments are.

Carneucopia
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
TD - remember that if you DO sell your property any capital gain from it could take you over the limit for IS/PC anyway - plus there's that nasty little 'deprevation' rule to cope with!