PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Cider Veinegar for the dreaded Athlete's foot?

seriouslyfedup
07-02-2013, 04:52 AM
First time in my life got the dreaded lurggy ie Athlete's foot on soles of feet. . Despite trying the usual Lamosil, Daktarin etc both creams and powders, for 6 weeks feet ended up raw and in right state. Which isn't good for a type 1 diabetic with very poor blood supply to legs and feet, as they don't heal easily. Last time I developed a soft corn, it ulcerated and took months to heal. At one point things were looking desperate.

Been to the GP's , he gave me usual anti- biotics overdose and another cream Trimeovate. 3 weeks later slight improvement, but still itching, on fire and one aprt wont't heal. Have read of people trying Cider Vinegar foot baths for 45 minutes with good results on a US site. Anyone else tried this or any other good remedies. Can't take Terbinafine tablets orally as allergic to them.

acheron
07-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi SFU I've dug out a DR's book of home remedies I can't find anything about vinegar but I post what it does say

soak your feet in a mixture of 2 teaspoons of salt per pint of warm water
do this for 5 to 10 minutes at a time

the saline solution helps provide an unappealing atmosphere for the fungus and lessens excess perspiration it also softens the affected skin so antifungal medications can penetrate deeper and act more effectively

or take 1 tablespoon of baking soda mix in a little lukewarm water rub over the fungas rinse off dry then dust on cornflour

don't know if any of this will help all the rest of the stuff is about keeping feet dry and airing them out

hope you can shift it soon

beau
07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I have used potassium permanganate in solution for athletes foot. Soak feet for at least 10 mins morning and night. It has anti-fungal properties which is why it is used in aquariums in cases of fungal infections on fish.
The downside is that it stains brown which won't wash off, it has to wear off. You can buy it at the chemists (purple crystals)

skelly
07-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Hi there.i dont know if you can use it or your gp will give you any but try Daktacort hydrocutasone spelt the right way i used to get it when i was a serviceman cleared it in a few days

seriouslyfedup
07-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Thnaks to everyone . Think I'll be trying them all at the rate it's going - hopefully not at the same time mind you! The salt, baking soda and cornflour we have so will give that a go. Also keep Potassium permanganate in the house in case we accidentally nip the blood vessel when cutting the dogs nails. Stops any bleeding right away. Fortunately it's only happened twice in 30 years of having dogs. Will hold off using that until I see the vascular nurse next week for rouine check up , as she'll be looking at my legs and feet, and don't want them to be brown!!!!!! After seeing her won't matter what colour they are.

GP's called a couple of times but I never hear the phone , and seems to be difficult to get throuhg to them. Have an appointment for something else next week so will ask him for the Daktacort Hydrocutasone then. Fingers crossed one of them will work..

acheron
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi SFU so glad you mentioned potassium permanganate for dogs we have 2 but one has pure black nails we're very careful not to go high when trimming her nails but have caught her once so I'll get some of that thanks

seriouslyfedup
07-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I have had athletes foot for 2 years.. Ironic as I can't take a single step!
I hope you don't mind but I'm changing the name to "wheelchair feet"

Anyway.. It is caused by the long term use of antibiotics (I'm on erythromycin)
I use Daktaryn cream twice a day but it only semi works.. I suppose I should speak to my GP...

Ah that might explain it then. Been taking Erythromycin daily for quite a long time now.

Acheron , with the dogs nails you just put a clump of the crystals on the nail end and it seals off the nail end , but once it's stopped don't leave any excess for the dog to lick off.!

seriouslyfedup
07-05-2013, 06:46 AM
During WW1 to sort out any foot problem people had a pee in there boots, even today good foot stuff has urea in them........

Made me laugh, although sometimes the older remedies work best. But think I'll keep that option as a last resort Dave. lol .

seriouslyfedup
07-09-2013, 01:58 AM
So where would you get Lab made Urea. Can you buy it at a chemist? Would try this before my own home made variety ! lol

seriouslyfedup
07-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Thanks Dave will give both of them a try. Latest pressure results from Vascular Clinic visit today are pretty dire so can't afford not to get this totally cleared up.

Boo-dicca
07-15-2013, 07:57 AM
SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY, do not use anything on your feet which hasnt been prescribed for you by your Drs, if you use a haemostat ( and by the way pot permang NOT a haemostat) as a diabetic you will lose your feet!!!!

Athletes foot, caused by multiple bacterias, fungus and viruses, it will not go away unless you treat ALL causes. Use silver socks, silver effective against all these pathogens! Do not follow any home remedies, see your Dr straight away and if they wont refer you to a podiatrist, see one privately, make sure they have a degree in podiatric medecine or ring your local diabetic clinic and ask them for the phone number of a podiatrist they trust in your local area.

seriouslyfedup
07-18-2013, 01:59 AM
SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY, do not use anything on your feet which hasnt been prescribed for you by your Drs, if you use a haemostat ( and by the way pot permang NOT a haemostat) as a diabetic you will lose your feet!!!!

Athletes foot, caused by multiple bacterias, fungus and viruses, it will not go away unless you treat ALL causes. Use silver socks, silver effective against all these pathogens! Do not follow any home remedies, see your Dr straight away and if they wont refer you to a podiatrist, see one privately, make sure they have a degree in podiatric medecine or ring your local diabetic clinic and ask them for the phone number of a podiatrist they trust in your local area.

Boodica, the NHS Podiatrist visits me every 6 weeks. My new stuff to try arrived yesterday, but was up at the GP's yesterday for something else and when he saw my feet ,said he'd arrange an urgent appointment with a dermatologist, as part of the skin on foot has opened and its also spread to my hands. Told me not to put anything else on it until I see Dermatologist.lol.

The potassium permanganate crystals were being used to stop bleeding if you cut the quick accidentally when doing the dog's nails. The crystals stop the bleeding immediately and are an old tried and tested remedy dog showing people are well familiar with.

Off shortly to google where to get silver socks. Would wear a cardboard box over my head for a week if it would stop this itching. lol.

Stephen1959
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I have had athletes foot for about 2 years now, tried creams, powders etc.. and nothing works.
If only I was an athlete .... if only I could run ...... if only I could walk more than 20 metres ...... athlete ???

seriouslyfedup
07-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I have had athletes foot for about 2 years now, tried creams, powders etc.. and nothing works.

Murder isn't it. But might be time to ask your GP to send you to Dermatologist? My GP's just said athlete's foot and some skin dermatitis thingys can look very similar.

seriouslyfedup
09-20-2013, 03:32 PM
So after some apointment resheduling fianlly got to see the dermatologist. He thinks it's form of exzema (not sure how to spell that), as it's now on my hands as well. Have probably spent well over 100 on umpteen athlete's foot remedies over past few months. Got a letter to give GP for some prescription steroid cream and huge tub of moisturiser. Asked him if it was any good for wrinkles! Hopefully that this wee annoyance sorted.