PDA

View Full Version : Customer Compliance letter arrived today

diabeticguy
10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I have been invited to attend an interview to discuss my current claim. I receive DLA and IS. Other than the usual means of ID they need to see they have asked for statements relating to an ISA I had years ago that has now been closed. The reference number they associate with the ISA is not recognised by the bank and they cannot help as the account details will now be in the archive; however, with the account and sort code they could help but I havent got it and the DWP haven't specifed.

The direct line number they put on the letter is not recognised.

Do I write to them and point out that I cannot provide statements as the a/c was closed years ago and the bank cannnot help until I provide them with sort and account numbers.

I do believe that at the time I must have gone over the capital limits for several weeks and perhaps that is why they need to see me.

Generally, should I be worried ?

davewhit
10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
I have been invited to attend an interview to discuss my current claim. I receive DLA and IS. Other than the usual means of ID they need to see they have asked for statements relating to an ISA I had years ago that has now been closed. The reference number they associate with the ISA is not recognised by the bank and they cannot help as the account details will now be in the archive; however, with the account and sort code they could help but I havent got it and the DWP haven't specifed.

The direct line number they put on the letter is not recognised.

Do I write to them and point out that I cannot provide statements as the a/c was closed years ago and the bank cannnot help until I provide them with sort and account numbers.

I do believe that at the time I must have gone over the capital limits for several weeks and perhaps that is why they need to see me.

people get these letters when people have been reported on the fraud line or they the DWP have reason to think there is something wrong with the claim you need to get expert advise and take someone with you to the interview

if you have been over the limit as you think that could be the reason of course once you have done something like that they might review all your claim ... its no good writing to them IMO you need to take steps to get all bank statements now as if you turn up empty handed thats not helpful to them and you need to copoperat

its a bit early to worry but it needs sorting

Jen66
10-29-2011, 08:53 PM
.... they have asked for statements relating to an ISA I had years ago....

May I ask how many years ago ?
The only concern I would have is why they have raked up information about an ISA from a previous point in time. Savings etc can be flagged to the DWP by the amount of interest paid, but that usually apply's to the here and now . For the DWP to go back in time, it may suggest they have other concerns which have led them to check on past activity's.

diabeticguy
10-29-2011, 09:23 PM
May I ask how many years ago ?
The only concern I would have is why they have raked up information about an ISA from a previous point in time. Savings etc can be flagged to the DWP by the amount of interest paid, but that usually apply's to the here and now . For the DWP to go back in time, it may suggest they have other concerns which have led them to check on past activity's.

To be honest I cannot remember but believe it was 4-5 years ago, it was opened and then closed soon after as I needed the money. I too, am intrigued; I can only assume that I invested 5k in the ISA and perhaps my current account took me over the capital limits. I am all for holding my hands up, I made a mistake and should have informed them. My mental health, diabetes, hypertension and PTSD all contributed to my abscent-mindedness and general chaotic take on life.

Like the others who have posted in similar situations I am dreading the waiting days before the appointment date.

davewhit
10-29-2011, 09:54 PM
To be honest I cannot remember but believe it was 4-5 years ago, it was opened and then closed soon after as I needed the money. I too, am intrigued; I can only assume that I invested 5k in the ISA and perhaps my current account took me over the capital limits. I am all for holding my hands up, I made a mistake and should have informed them. My mental health, diabetes, hypertension and PTSD all contributed to my abscent-mindedness and general chaotic take on life.

Like the others who have posted in similar situations I am dreading the waiting days before the appointment date.

you need expert help as I think another thing they will want to know if you where over the limit then spent some ... they will want to know what on as ..... they have a name for that ! and if you spent it with the intent of gettimh back to the limit thats not allowed someone should know the name of that procedure

being "abscent-minded" or not knowing are not in there eyes an excuse have you a CAB you can talk with or other advice group ?

fingers crossed and good luck... have you long to wait for the interview ?

diabeticguy
10-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Wednesday 9th November

Carneucopia
10-29-2011, 11:53 PM
That probably isn't enough time to get hold of archived bank records unfortunately, but worth a try all the same. It is difficult to see how the DWP have made such a connection though. Can you remember for how long you had the money in the ISA? More importantly - you say you needed the money - what it was spent on could be very important (if indeed the ISA is the cause of the interview.)
Spending on what the DWP class as non-essentials is called 'notional deprivation of capital', which means that you spent it deliberately to get back under the IS capital and savings limit. But from what you say you weren't really aware of the total savings at the time, and it may well be that you needed the money to pay bills, get necessary home improvements done, or something to help you cope with you disabilities.
Most puzzling is that the reference number the DWP have isn't recognised by your bank, which makes me wonder if there has been some mix up between the DWP and the Revenue. Try with the bank again as soon as possible and try to get someone in at the interview with you, and the best of luck.

Jen66
10-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I can only assume that I invested 5k in the ISA and perhaps my current account took me over the capital limits. .

Echoing what the others have said. Seeking advice would be your first port of call.

The savings limit changed from 3k to 6k sometime around 2004-2006 (I think ! ). So if you had a 5k ISA prior to the increase in allowed savings, then you would be substantially over the limit. However, it still seems very strange the DWP are going back that far unless they have carried out a full audit on your previous financial transactions. I know someone who used to work for the DWP as a fraud investigation officer back in 2009. I asked his thoughts on your situation and even he was baffled. Contrary to popular belief, he said there was very little in the way of automatic personal finance cross referencing in place during this period. It was usually carried out manually and there had to be good reason to trace back (i.e substantial amounts of savings were found). Its only recently the tax and DWP systems have linked up, but that's on current live accounts.

If you could let us know the outcome, it may help others. These interview requests cause people much anxiety and fear and quite often it turns out to be a minor query. Knowing that can help put peoples minds at rest if they receive such a letter from the DWP.

Good luck.

diabeticguy
10-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Will certainly let you know what happens.

Trying to calm myself down a little. Can I assume that this will be an informal meeting to discuss potential problems with my claim; from what I read from others posts is that many times the problems are resolved within this meeting. However, there is also a chance that further action may be taken depending on the nature of the enquiry. I believe that I may have exceeded the 6k capital limit but would deny it was intentional, in fact I would rather have paid the tariff income than have the anxiety and stress of this meeting.

Stepheninleeds
10-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Get legal advice, it seems you need this badly. They can then look at what you have done, what it is said you have done, what you may have done wrong, did you know, was it an error, was it intentional, etc. They can also advise you of your rights, this is vital. If you get advice this could set any fears you have to rest, or give you options that will lessen it. Benefits people are not always bad people. At the end of the day most see the difference between a cheater & someone who has made a genuine mistake. Some are not so nice, this is also a fact, & try to push you, scare you, get you to admit you are cheating. If you get legal support you know you have someone on your side, & so does the person handling this matter.

davewhit
10-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Will certainly let you know what happens.

Trying to calm myself down a little. Can I assume that this will be an informal meeting to discuss potential problems with my claim; from what I read from others posts is that many times the problems are resolved within this meeting. However, there is also a chance that further action may be taken depending on the nature of the enquiry. I believe that I may have exceeded the 6k capital limit but would deny it was intentional, in fact I would rather have paid the tariff income than have the anxiety and stress of this meeting.

it can be informal or in can sometimes be under caution and taped that depends on what they have on you and how they are going to treat you... you need advice you need to turn up and co operate fully

someone might have a link to further information

diabeticguy
10-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Well I don't feel compelled to get legal advice at this stage, I don't even know where they are going with this. I am keen to to call them tommorrow to inform them that I cannot get the statements they require because the account they refer to went into archive years ago, and to ascertain whether they still want me to attend without them. I am going from nervous to quite angy and frustrated at not knowing what they are playing at.

davewhit
10-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Well I don't feel compelled to get legal advice at this stage, I don't even know where they are going with this. I am keen to to call them tommorrow to inform them that I cannot get the statements they require because the account they refer to went into archive years ago, and to ascertain whether they still want me to attend without them. I am going from nervous to quite angy and frustrated at not knowing what they are playing at.

Keep calm they wont know where they are going till they talk with you ... they will want you to attend and if you dont they will stop your benefits ..... people have enough trouble getting medicals changed never read on a forum of a compliance interview being changed ?
below pastings from 2 web sites

compliance ,means
Pay customers the correct benefit at the right time and protect the benefit system from fraud, error and abuse

Customer Compliance was introduced to address incorrectness in benefit cases where a robust and challenging face-to-face interview is deemed more appropriate than a criminal fraud investigation.

A key outcome of the Customer Compliance process is to encourage future compliance with the benefit reporting process.

I am a Customer Compliance Officer for the DWP. My team was set up in April 2006 and our main purpose is to follow up on fraud allegations.

The Department receives many allegations of benefit fraud and because the Fraud Officer's main job is to take cases to prosecution or caution, they can only investigate a limited number of cases each year.

Prior to Compliance, all of the cases they did not have time to fully investigate were literally filed away and forgotten. The Dept felt that we were likely to be missing things and so the compliance teams were set up. We interview all of the overload from Fraud.

In addition, we do random benefit reviews and because most benefits are paid at central sites, often many miles away, if the Benefit Delivery Centre requires an interview to be done, then it is usually passed to the Compliance team.

We should interview all cases were there has been a recent separation (after about 2-3 months) and all previously self-employed people (again, after about 2-3 months)

Most Compliance Officers see their job as making sure people get what they are entitled to - not more and not less

diabeticguy
10-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Keep calm they wont know where they are going till they talk with you ... they will want you to attend and if you dont they will stop your benefits ..... people have enough trouble getting medicals changed never read on a forum of a compliance interview being changed ?
below pastings from 2 web sites

compliance ,means
Pay customers the correct benefit at the right time and protect the benefit system from fraud, error and abuse

Customer Compliance was introduced to address incorrectness in benefit cases where a robust and challenging face-to-face interview is deemed more appropriate than a criminal fraud investigation.

A key outcome of the Customer Compliance process is to encourage future compliance with the benefit reporting process.

I am a Customer Compliance Officer for the DWP. My team was set up in April 2006 and our main purpose is to follow up on fraud allegations.

The Department receives many allegations of benefit fraud and because the Fraud Officer's main job is to take cases to prosecution or caution, they can only investigate a limited number of cases each year.

Prior to Compliance, all of the cases they did not have time to fully investigate were literally filed away and forgotten. The Dept felt that we were likely to be missing things and so the compliance teams were set up. We interview all of the overload from Fraud.

In addition, we do random benefit reviews and because most benefits are paid at central sites, often many miles away, if the Benefit Delivery Centre requires an interview to be done, then it is usually passed to the Compliance team.

We should interview all cases were there has been a recent separation (after about 2-3 months) and all previously self-employed people (again, after about 2-3 months)

Most Compliance Officers see their job as making sure people get what they are entitled to - not more and not less

Many thanks Dave, all I needed was the slightest hint that the compliance guys were human (with a job to do) but were not motivated to persecute and intimidate claimants. Many thanks for the examples above.

Jen66
10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Lots of reading here as well.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/customer_compliance_department