Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So. Much. Pain!

So. Much. Pain!

I'm used to pain, it's my daily companion really and follows me around through life, but for the past few weeks it's just not bearable anymore.

No pain killers will touch it and it is from my neck, down my shoulders and arms, back and legs thighs to calves and even my feet and wrists hurt.
    I feel exhausted with it, it's just so bad. I have only been out twice since December 20th and that makes me feel worse.

It's just the fact of it not going really. I just needed to vent a bit, feel quite down with it being so bad, just feel like I cannot take another day with it.

Pain is dreadful it drags you down and then the pain seems to get worse. A vicious circle.
    Have you tried counselling for it along with the pain clinic although I admit some are no better than useless. The weather could be having a negative affect too.

Just to vent may help, so vent away.

I totally empathise with you birdwatcher as I am sure many others on this forum do.

Living with chronic pain is debilitating bith physically and mentally. When that pain becomes unbearable it is hard to cope with the most mundane aspects of daily life.

I, like many others on here, am in the same situation, daily pain, with regular bouts of unbearable pain. (adhesions, IBD and arthritis being the main culprits). I am, at present battling through an episode of sub acute obstruction, (a regular occurence) and finding it hard to do anything.

I have tried pain management/clinics, all to no avail. Like you, painkillers do not help. (even on my better days they have little or no effect). Unfortunately due to the nature of my problems, painkillers can make the situation worse.

Don't beat yourself up about venting on here, I have done it in the past.

I do hope your pain settles down a bit for you soon, so that you do not feel so exhausted with it.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hi Birdwatcher,

Chronic pain is very disabling. As you know it's a vicious circle as movement helps but also blocks you from doing exercise.

I was taking strong pain killers which were having no effect but causing side affects like becoming constipated.

As a last resort I booked int a pain clinic for steroid injections for my lumber region.

I was due to have three steroid injections into my spine but the surgeon changed her mind when OI lay on the operating table. She noticed that the muscles on one side of my back were stuck in a rigid spasm. This was the cause of the pain and she choose to inject this muscle to relax it. I'll have to say that the pain has reduced by 70% so it does work.

I'd forget pain killers as they only treat the end result. You need to find the cause and treat that - takes time but persevere!

I have to thank you all for your kind words. I'm so sorry to all of you who also suffer chronic pain too. I also have the effects of IBD too.

I agree it's the mental side too, it's just so easy for it to beat me down. January with the cold weather is never good for me anyway, but it has just been unbearable.

I am under the pain clinic, if I am honest it was useless before as the Dr only saw you for about two minutes, it was a running joke with the patients how long you would be in for as you went in got new drugs and straight out. However he retired and the new one is supposed to be more innovative and they are working through the old list, but I phoned them and they said it was taking so long that I should ask the GP to re refer me, so I did in December and hope that is going through now.
    He also offered lumbar injections which I did have and they made my pain slightly worse.

Councelling I have tried before and not found much help, but I am on another waiting list for that too.

I've tried hydrotherapy and didn't get good results as I could end up with terrible spasms of my back when I came out of the water.
    I am thinking of trying reflexology to try to help a bit but have no idea if it would.

Last night I just felt so, so awful. I slept for a good nine hours which I think I needed. It's just so gruelling and drags me so far down. I've had it for about six years now, chronic body pain and I just sometimes feel I can't go on. I'm in my twenties and can't imagine being stuck with it forever more.

Ask the pain clinic if they can refer you for acupuncture if you haven't tried it. Works for some but not for others but still worth giving it a whirl if not already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Ask the pain clinic if they can refer you for acupuncture if you haven't tried it. Works for some but not for others but still worth giving it a whirl if not already done so.
    If I am honest I hate the thought of it. I'm not afraid of needles at all, but just the thought of possible unclean ones!

But I am going to do something different and get back on some kind of track because it's just getting worse and too much for me.

To be honest the needles are so fine you don't even feel them.
    I can understand your fear of them being unclean but when I have it all the needles are new and in sealed packets. In fact I had a session at home yesterday with a private physio who has done it for me before. The relief for me is instantaneous and the more treatments you have the more affective it is.
    If the NHS will do it then you can be certain that everything will be sterile.
    It's these unscrupulous practitioners you have to be careful with.
    Bite the bullet and ask, if you are not happy about the cleanliness you could always refuse it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    To be honest the needles are so fine you don't even feel them.
    I can understand your fear of them being unclean but when I have it all the needles are new and in sealed packets. In fact I had a session at home yesterday with a private physio who has done it for me before. The relief for me is instantaneous and the more treatments you have the more affective it is.
    If the NHS will do it then you can be certain that everything will be sterile.
    It's these unscrupulous practitioners you have to be careful with.
    Bite the bullet and ask, if you are not happy about the cleanliness you could always refuse it at the time.
    That's great it has so much relief for you, it's amazing!!

I think I will ask, I haven't got my referral through, but when it does I'll try, although a few years back I did and got rebuffed! If not I may seek one out on my own, especially if it gives you so much relief, it's worth trying anyway.

Thank you for your suggestion and I hope it continues to help you so much!

I use a private physio who works in our local gym and he is good. Anything is worth a try when the pain is horrendous.