Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visually Impaired - PIP Claim

Visually Impaired - PIP Claim

Hi,

I'm new to the site but have to say that it seems the most comprehensive site I've seen for disabled people.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look in.

I have a question.

I am registered severely sight impaired (blind) and have been for over twenty years. I am currently receiving High Rate Mobility and Low Rate Care of DLA on an 'Indefinite' award. I'm thinking of volunteering for transfer to PIP just to get it over with. Its arrival has been like a big black cloud hanging over me.

In the Daily Living Section, I've been looking over the criteria and may get some points for cooking a meal but wondered about the 'Reading and Understanding Signs, Symbols and Words Activity.

I can use a magnifier for reading at home but outdoors I am completely unable to read. I have severe photophobia and Nystagmus associated with albinism. I am also unable to discern detail. Bus Numbers, timetables, street names, direction signs in buildings, exit or fire escape signs are all lost to me. I should say that I use a long cane on both familiar and unfamiliar journeys.

My question is - because I can use a magnifier to read at home (8x magnification for large print) but cannot read at all outside, what points (if any) might I score under the 'Reading and Understanding Signs, Symbols and Words' Section of Pip?

Any other advice would be good also.

Thanks.

phaser

Quote Originally Posted by phaser123 View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to the site but have to say that it seems the most comprehensive site I've seen for disabled people.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look in.

I have a question.

I am registered severely sight impaired (blind) and have been for over twenty years. I am currently receiving High Rate Mobility and Low Rate Care of DLA on an 'Indefinite' award. I'm thinking of volunteering for transfer to PIP just to get it over with. Its arrival has been like a big black cloud hanging over me.

In the Daily Living Section, I've been looking over the criteria and may get some points for cooking a meal but wondered about the 'Reading and Understanding Signs, Symbols and Words Activity.

I can use a magnifier for reading at home but outdoors I am completely unable to read. I have severe photophobia and Nystagmus associated with albinism. I am also unable to discern detail. Bus Numbers, timetables, street names, direction signs in buildings, exit or fire escape signs are all lost to me. I should say that I use a long cane on both familiar and unfamiliar journeys.

My question is - because I can use a magnifier to read at home (8x magnification for large print) but cannot read at all outside, what points (if any) might I score under the 'Reading and Understanding Signs, Symbols and Words' Section of Pip?

Any other advice would be good also.

Thanks.

phaser
    Hi Phaser,

PIP and DLA have two different criterias therefore what you was awarded on DLA might not be the same on PIP. I have seen people go from hight rate DLA components to 0 points on PIP, of course you can appeal if you are not happy with your decision.

Have you looked at the descriptors for PIP? That is normally a good place to start.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to help but I hope you get everything sorted and get what your entitled to!

PIP is flawed in my opinion and should not have been introduced anytime soon.

Hi. Thanks for replying.

I've looked at the criteria and still not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by phaser123 View Post
    Hi. Thanks for replying.

I've looked at the criteria and still not sure.
    Hi

I am only a layperson regarding these matters, however, it might be worth you taking a peek at a some of the other threads on here that have covered the transfer over to PIP from DLA for blind or severely sight impaired people. One that comes to mind is a comprehensive thread from a guy known as Popeye on here, just do a search, he went from DLA to PIP as someone who is blind, so it should be useful reading his experience which I understand went well for him after self selecting to change to PIP.

My daughter has just recently being certified as severely sight impaired (blind) and we are mulling over going through the same process in order to get an appropriate mobility award - hence my interest.

It would also be you worth you finding out first if your postcode area is an active PIP area before you do anything. If it isn't then I believe you will be reassessed under DLA if you report a change of circumstances.

Look on the website RP Fighting Blindness, there is some useful information on here regarding PIP and how it affects blind and partially sighted people. They generally give a cautious welcome to PIP.

After looking at various sites on the internet and speaking to one or two people about PIP descriptors and how they relate to blind people , I am lead to believe that if a PIP claim is done right with an accurate description of day to day difficulties backed up with quality evidence - claimants end up being no worse off under PIP and sometimes better off under the mobility component than under DLA. My general feeling is that PIP is positive for blind people. Although as we all know there is no guarantee and I am sure even blind people applying for PIP will no doubt suffer injustices just like anybody else in some cases - so be aware - but the vibes are good - so far for blind people.

Look on the Benefits and Work website also. There is some brilliant advice on there too - it's worth subscribing. Good luck.

Buster

Hi Buster.

Thanks for your reply.

You have certainly given me food for thought and a few souces to look at. I'm a little disappointed with the RNIB in respect of their limited advice for Pip claimants so will certainly follow up on your suggestions. It's a fact that sometimes the prospect of something happening is often more worrying than the event itself. Let's hope that this is the case with transitions from DLA to Pip.

Hi

Yes, things are never straightforward, there is always stress, worry and potential pitfalls when dealing with benefits. I think the important thing is to do "ones homework" and prepare as much as possible. Submitting quality evidence with your claim form is vitally important - don't rely on ATOS, CAPITA or the DWP asking your ophthalmologist or anybody else involved with you for evidence of how you are affected or for confirmation of your diagnosis. Apparently, they have no legal obligation to do this - it is up to the claimant to provide evidence etc if you want to be sure it gets taken in to consideration - so put it in with your claim form. I believe many PIP claimants are being caught out by this. Don't let it happen to you - get your evidence in. Ask your eye clinic liaison officer to contact your ophthalmologist for a supporting letter; it only needs to be a couple of paragraphs long explaining how you are affected in terms of getting around and care needs etc. Don't forget to send in your CVI as well of course, but I wouldn't just rely on this. Good luck.

Buster

I am registered blind as you are and receive enhanced element for both on a 10 year ongoing award

Yes, Buster, you're absolutely right about evidence. Haven't seen the consultant at the hospital for years though. Great idea about the lliaison officer.

Hi Scotty.

Thanks for replying.

Of course I can't take anything for granted but I have hand motion for VI classification so I would hope to get at least lower rate mobility. How did you go on with the daily living descriptors if you don't mind me asking?

If you have a CVI you should be ok I got 30 points for daily living & 12 for mobility