Thread: between a rock and a hard place....

between a rock and a hard place....

Hello, can anybody tell me if there is any other benefit i can claim. I failed medical assesment for esa, but i am not well enough for jobseekers, doctor gave me a 2 month medical certificate, so i signed off jobseekers, applied esa again, received letter telling me i cant claim sickness, because of failing medical , last year.
    I know i am sick, doctor knows i am, but them people, who dont know me from adam, say i am well enough. What other options do i have, and can i claim housing benefit still if i am not in receipt of either esa or jobseekers, thats my main worry.
    I have my fingers crossed here xxx

You can claim housing benefit still if you can prove low income , ie bank statements
    I had the same problem a few years ago I failed medical was to ill to go to tribunal or claim job seekers so i just didn't claim anything for around 9 months then a reclaimed esa and not had a medical this time even tho been 2 years

Check online see if you can claim universal credit instead

Thankyu very much, you helped me to sleep last night, now i have to pluck up the courage and ring up the benefit people, to see if i get any joy in some kind of payment, seeing as i came off jobseekers and was due my first esa payment tomorrow, my mission is to get some payment/benefit sorted out, and also my housing benefit, today hopefully this morning, i think i should actually stop talking about it and actually get it done...boo-hoo i is scared!!!!!

Are you going to appeal your ESA decision?

Quote Originally Posted by theSeductress View Post
    Thankyu very much, you helped me to sleep last night, now i have to pluck up the courage and ring up the benefit people, to see if i get any joy in some kind of payment, seeing as i came off jobseekers and was due my first esa payment tomorrow, my mission is to get some payment/benefit sorted out, and also my housing benefit, today hopefully this morning, i think i should actually stop talking about it and actually get it done...boo-hoo i is scared!!!!!
    Do not rush in to anything; wait for further advice, there are a few on here who will be able to help with specific advice, so hold tight. It also wouldn't do you any harm to call in at your local CAB and tell them of your predicament - they may be able to help - they are used to dealing with people who have been let down by the benefits system.

Also, do not under any circumstances volunteer for Universal Credit; actually the gateway criteria for UC is very restrictive anyway, I doubt you would satisfy the criteria seen as you are not really fit and available for work. Even then UC may not yet have been rolled out in your area anyway. I'm not sure but you may be able to apply again for ESA by making a fresh claim - this could be an option. Wait for further advice before you do anything. Avoid being sucked in to UC under the guise of a Straightforward job seeker. Good luck.

Buster

First have you asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration of your ESA decision (and/or been to tribunal)?
    These should be you first steps and you should follow them through to the end.

Once you have been refused ESA you are currently entitled to make a new ESA claim at any time: BUT you will not be paid any ESA benefit monies until six months after the date of final refusal of your previous claim.

(Some people, and even some Jobcentre advisers, read this as saying you can't apply for six months which is not strictly correct. You can apply you just won't get paid for six months).

The government are looking to change this and put a limit on how many times you can apply in order to stop people "repeatedly applying for ESA in order to avoid JSA work conditionality". ROFL.
    But of course they think that everyone on benefits is a scrounger.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.