Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carers Allowance plus working Tax Credit

Carers Allowance plus working Tax Credit

Hello
    Just looking for some advice.
    Have been offered a job! pay would be 97.00 pound a week, so would still be able to keep carers allowance
    that i receive for looking after my Son.

As he goes to local day centre the hours fit in.
    The Lady from the Job centre told me that i could claim working tax credit, dont like to tell her how to do her job.
    but surely if i claim working tax credit that would take me over the limit for carers allowance?
    Which is i think 100.00 per week you can earn.

Can any one advise before i start work .
    Appreciate any replys

Thanks

Do not take my word on this, but I would assume it would affect it as CA is a taxable benefit. I could of course be wrong, but they take it back from me because I get Income Support. However, the CA is your son's benefit, so that should mean it should not affect you. They take it back from me as it is my benefit, even though it is paid to my mother. Confused? Join the club!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by FINNINGLEY1 View Post
    Hello
    Just looking for some advice.
    Have been offered a job! pay would be 97.00 pound a week, so would still be able to keep carers allowance
    that i receive for looking after my Son.

As he goes to local day centre the hours fit in.
    The Lady from the Job centre told me that i could claim working tax credit, dont like to tell her how to do her job.
    but surely if i claim working tax credit that would take me over the limit for carers allowance?
    Which is i think 100.00 per week you can earn.

Can any one advise before i start work .
    Appreciate any replys

Thanks
    you can have tax credits working and CA the tax credits ups your income because your 100 max income and CA is so low before my wife moved to dependent on un supp with WP she for a time had CA and working tax credits... thats allowed the big problem is CA and working tax credits added together with small income then show a higher family income which can affect other benefits like HB CT benefits

Thanks for the replys.
    I think i Understand.
    I just am so confused as if i take job part-time 97.00 pound per week, plus carers =152.55

Then with working tax credit on top approx 176.00 per month have used a on-line calculator for that.so that would take me over the allowed 100.00

dont claim any thing else like hb
    i know it sounds confusing as it is .

Thanks

This is one reason it is harder for those on benefits to get a job. Add into that extra benefits with get, then a job is rarely worth it. You can only look into it, make sure what you will get or what you could lose, then decide what you wish to do.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Thanks for the replys.
    I think i Understand.
    I just am so confused as if i take job part-time 97.00 pound per week, plus carers =152.55

Then with working tax credit on top approx 176.00 per month have used a on-line calculator for that.so that would take me over the allowed 100.00

dont claim any thing else like hb
    i know it sounds confusing as it is .

Thanks

the DWP are NOT saying that you have to live on 100 a week with CA they know many will also get working tax credits too

your income is 97 a week your CA is 55 ish add the two together and you have income and benefit of 152.55 thats low so topped up with working tax credits look at the tax credits form they ask for income then state benefits then add on working tax credits its not hard if in doubt call the tax credits help line

Please be aware that CA is classed as taxable income.

Thanks again for replys.
    Have said i will take the job, and will inform carers allowance.

and have been on tax credit web-site and will see what they say.
    appreciate all help

Thanks

davewhit
    Thanks again for replys.
    Have said i will take the job, and will inform carers allowance.

and have been on tax credit web-site and will see what they say.
    appreciate all help

Thanks

should you find that your income after deductions is just over 100 there is a way to protect your CA you have a "pension " that you only pay into on weeks your over 100

Hi, I work and receive 97 per week wages, I also receive working tax credit and carers allowance, the tax credits are disregarded as is housing benefit or any other benfits you receive, the only condition is you cant earn over 100 per week it doesnt matter if you have any other money coming in or even if you win the lottery!! as long as the person you care for is entitled to high or middle rate care, the only other snag is you will have the same problem as myself I can only work 16 hour per week no more and no less, and it must be at the miminum wage rate, 16 hours is needed to claim working tax credit which will give you a wage of 97.28 but if you go an hour over this then you will lose your carers allowance, i have had to hope my hours wont be increased or decreased at work as it will mean losing my job or giving up my carers which i get for my child it adds a lot of stress to a very stressful situation already!! it also means carers are forced to take low paid jobs and can only work 16 hours its difficult to find employment at the moment without the added conditions of hours set in stone! cant work bank holidays (double time) cant work antisocial hours, needing time off for hospital appointments etc, finding childcare for a disable child with additional needs! which begs the point, why bother?? well I go to work because it makes me feel im someone other than a carer im still me yes it hard but every day life is hard! anyway good luck and take the job it will do you the world of good!! take care, best wishes Magi