Thread: ESA and Partners Self Employment

ESA and Partners Self Employment

I put in a claim for income related ESA 2 weeks ago, sent in medical certs and the form for my partners earnings as he is self employed, but the business is currently running at a loss as it is a new business start up.

Just had a call from the ESA people and they seemed to not understand the concept of my partner working 16-20 hours a week, but not bringing any money home.

I tried to tell them that at the moment his business outgoings far exceeded his income.

They asked how much he was bringing home again, again I said Nil. They then asked how much he brought home before business expenses, so I told them around £300 a week, but that all gets paid back into his business at the moment and the household sees nothong of this money.

I was then told that the lady on the phone cant make that sort of decision and that it would have to be sent to a decision maker.

I sent in my partners up to date accounts with the claim which shows a loss.

What do you think my chances are? We really could do with the money until the business starts to take off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey2004 View Post
    I put in a claim for income related ESA 2 weeks ago, sent in medical certs and the form for my partners earnings as he is self employed, but the business is currently running at a loss as it is a new business start up.

Just had a call from the ESA people and they seemed to not understand the concept of my partner working 16-20 hours a week, but not bringing any money home.

I tried to tell them that at the moment his business outgoings far exceeded his income.

They asked how much he was bringing home again, again I said Nil. They then asked how much he brought home before business expenses, so I told them around £300 a week, but that all gets paid back into his business at the moment and the household sees nothong of this money.

I was then told that the lady on the phone cant make that sort of decision and that it would have to be sent to a decision maker.

I sent in my partners up to date accounts with the claim which shows a loss.

What do you think my chances are? We really could do with the money until the business starts to take off.

Thanks
    Since your partner is not working 24 hrs a week then he is not in remunerative work as regards claiming income based ESA and you are therefore eligible.

However, it has been passed to the Decision Maker so that they can check that the work is viable in the long run.

It is outlined here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...02/dmgch50.pdf