Thread: Severe Disability Premium when homeless

Severe Disability Premium when homeless

Hi was wondering if anyone can help me with my current situation with the DWP.

I started claiming ESA on 1st April 2014 and was placed in the Support Group after the Assessment phase. I claim PIP and recieve the Enhanced Rate for the daily living component from 29th January 2015.

My question is regarding the severe disability premium. I am aware you need to live alone to receive the premium, I lived in my own rented accommodation until 1st April 2015, I am now homeless and sleeping in my friends shop and using the shop address as a mail address until I manage to get permanent accommodation from the council.

Should I be backdated the severe disability premium from the 29th January when the pip decision was made? Am I entitled the premium even although I'm homeless? I'm so confused and would appreciate any help anyone could give me?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Potter12 View Post
    Hi was wondering if anyone can help me with my current situation with the DWP.

I started claiming ESA on 1st April 2014 and was placed in the Support Group after the Assessment phase. I claim PIP and recieve the Enhanced Rate for the daily living component from 29th January 2015.

My question is regarding the severe disability premium. I am aware you need to live alone to receive the premium, I lived in my own rented accommodation until 1st April 2015, I am now homeless and sleeping in my friends shop and using the shop address as a mail address until I manage to get permanent accommodation from the council.

Should I be backdated the severe disability premium from the 29th January when the pip decision was made? Am I entitled the premium even although I'm homeless? I'm so confused and would appreciate any help anyone could give me?

Jack
    If you are entitled to payment of income related ESA, then you should receive the premiums on top of your ESA payments.

There is no limit to a period of backdating income related ESA premiums so you would be entitled to the SDP from the date that you were given the PIP daily living award. (29/1/15)

Being classed as homeless should not make any difference as it's paid with your ESA.

If you have been getting ESA support group since 2014, you should also be paid the enhanced disability premium for that as well, again no limit to backdating period.

If your ESA claim started on 1/4/14, your support group award would be active from the start of week 14 of your claim, which would be from around 8/7/14.

You would be entitled to the enhanced disability premium from then, it was £15.55 per week and went up slightly this April.

You need to contact ESA and tell them that you want to be assessed financially for payment of the SDP and the EDP as income related ESA. You will probably have to fill an ESA 3 Form in, or an IS10 Form.

Shelter may be able to help, http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...peoples_rights

There is information on their site above on homelessness, benefits entitlement and other issues.

If you get paid any amount of income related ESA that also entitles you to free prescriptions and free dental care, as well as full Housing Benefit entitlement and Council Tax support.

I hope things work out for you.
    Last edited by vikstar; 05-06-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Thank you so much for your help vikstar. I do claim Income related ESA and already recieve the EDP.

I posted the IS10 form last Friday so am hoping for an answer soon. The extra £60+ pw for the EDP will come in really handy. I am aware of people not getting this premium due to their household circumstances.

I only received my PIP decision last week - I was thinking of appealing the decision as I think I should be entitled to the Mobility Component as well but I was told I could lose the enhanced rate for the daily living component as an entire new decision is made. Is this true?

Thanks again ????

Quote Originally Posted by Potter12 View Post
    Thank you so much for your help vikstar. I do claim Income related ESA and already recieve the EDP.

I posted the IS10 form last Friday so am hoping for an answer soon. The extra £60+ pw for the EDP will come in really handy. I am aware of people not getting this premium due to their household circumstances.

I only received my PIP decision last week - I was thinking of appealing the decision as I think I should be entitled to the Mobility Component as well but I was told I could lose the enhanced rate for the daily living component as an entire new decision is made. Is this true?

Thanks again ????
    They can look at the whole of your PIP claim again including the daily living award.

It depends how easily you got the daily living award, is it at risk ?

You could tell the DWP that you only want them to reconsider the Mobility PIP, but they can still look at the daily living.

Shelter, CAB or some other welfare advice agency might be able to help with this.

You only have one month from the date of your PIP daily living award notification letter to request a mandatory reconsideration.
    Last edited by vikstar; 05-06-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikstar View Post
    They can look at the whole of your PIP claim again including the daily living award.

It depends how easily you got the daily living award, is it at risk ?

You could tell the DWP that you only want them to reconsider the Mobility PIP, but they can still look at the daily living.

Shelter, CAB or some other welfare advice agency might be able to help with this.

You only have one month from the date of your PIP daily living award notification letter to request a mandatory reconsideration.
    More info on requesting an MR, http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/ap...econsideration

Are you aware you have 2 identical threads? I did post on the other one but deleted it.

Is there no legal issues with living in commercial premises? The council would usually offer temporary accommodation in hostel/B&B. Depending on where you live, you could have a long wait for a flat.