Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep problems and sleeping tablets

I like that Jan, must admit a glass of wine or two helps me relax, does not take much with my medication to make pass out drunk lol....
    My medication helps me sleep mrb..I am on gabapentin, tegretol at night ..but I have very vivid dreams and horrific nightmares so would not recommend it.

Hi

I have the same problem. I too am taking Zopiclone 7.5mg. A friend has just sent me some melatonin to try so I will see how that goes.

Toni

I have tried Zopiclone before, but felt hung over the next day, so loathe to take them.
    Have you tried Kalms Sleep, it contains Valerian Kalms Sleep
    Chris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro 1 View Post
    Here is some interesting research about Melatonin & electric light:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12181853
    The same applies to computer monitors. Ideally you should not use your PC 2 hrs before you want to sleep but that's sometimes not the case.So f.lux™ is a free downloadable program that automatically reduces the brightness of your monitor after dusk.
    It returns to full brightness in the morning. Very easy to install and it means you are more likely to secrete melatonin naturally before bedtime.
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 04-06-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added image to brighten it up

Banned
    I use a timed release MELATONIN supplement. Although these aren't available in the UK you can buy them online from US discount vitamin suppliers.
    I first started using Melatonin to reduce blood pressure but I've found out a lot more about it and it is almost as important as Vitamin D. It works both as an anti inflammatory agent and as an anti-oxidant. It's particularly useful for helping to protect mitochondrial function and it's dysfunctional mitochondria that are the cause of ageing. So having good sleep helps keep you young and beautiful.
    I generally try to take one 3mg Time Release Melatonin about 7pm and then another 3mg Time Release as I get into bed. This means I'm ready to sleep straight away and I don't wake up in the night.
    One particular advantage of melatonin that may be helpful to those who need to pee during the night is that melatonin relaxes the bladder wall, allowing it to expand. Hence there is less need to pee at night. Great for me as I have to self catheterise and that's a faff when your half asleep.

Hi Ted

The original poster doesn't post here anymore, but others may find your experiences helpful.

I used to self-catheterise and got to the point where I could literally do it with my eyes closed !

Unfortunately, I now have a supra-pubic catheter

Welcome to YA

The original poster doesn't post here anymore, but others may find your experiences helpful.

Oh dear andypandy, and other contributors to this thread, really sorry if I've given that impression and neglected the thread (largely due to my own health problems)! I haven't been around nearly as much as I'd have liked but I'm still very interested in this topic and have now read all the posts.

Hope you and all have a good weekend - been lovely and sunny here today

Mr B
    Last edited by mrb; 04-08-2011 at 07:15 PM.

ps welcome back Ted!

Just a point - how old is your mattress - you might find replacing your mattress is money well spent if you get more shut eye. Or have a warming bath or shower to relax your muscles. Drinking a milky drink will help you sleep but having coffee or tea will keep you awake as it's got a stimulant - caffeine! Alcohol before bed will keep you awake but hell it feels good at the time.

Another good sleeping potion is sexual intimacy! You may even wake up with a smile on your face.

Another good sleeping potion is sexual intimacy!

When I next see my GP I shall ask for a prescription for this potion! lol

Sweet dreams and may you awaken with a smile on your face

Mr B