Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 is here (nearly) and its FREE

I built myself 3 ITX machines, one Intel, 2 x AMD, all running Win7 Pro 64 bit, Boot times are 28 seconds, 33 seconds and 34 seconds.........
    Microsoft support for W7 Pro until 2020, so plenty of life in it yet.
    Have no need for pawing at my screen, and Win 7 does everything I want. I had W10 right from developers build, just did not find it intuitive so gave away the machine with it installed.
    Win7 is the best desktop OS Microsoft made, Win 10 is a hybrid trying to be all things to be inclusive for tablets, phones etc and I find this hinders rather than helps.

This is the normal way to close a window, but in this case it will close the window but will still leave a scheduled time for Windows10 to install itself.

Quote Originally Posted by achat View Post
    This is the normal way to close a window, but in this case it will close the window but will still leave a scheduled time for Windows10 to install itself.
    If your talking about the misleading upgrade dialogues, all of that stopped months ago when the free upgrade path closed to the public.

Windows 7 or 8.1 no longer give free upgrades to Win 10 automatically.
    You have to buy Win 10 and install it yourself, or buy a new machine with Win 10 already on.

(Or you can still use the free 'Assistive Technologies Upgrade', you don't need to use assistive technologies to install it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade).
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-27-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Creators Update - get ready.

For those who don't yet know Windows 10 is due for it's next major version upgrade next week.

This has been titled the "Creators Update" and will be Windows 10 version 1703.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...oming-features

The automatic rollout starts on April 11th, but it's being staggered so as not to overload the web. You might not get it until a couple of days after the 11th.
    It is also available from today, April 5th, to download and install yourself if you don't want to wait:
    Link removed - this installer does not always work on all PC's.
    This might be a bit early though, maybe give them the next week to iron out any last minute wrinkles.

As usual a lot of the changes are in the background and you won't see them make much difference on your screen.

Paint gets a 3D mode.
    Edge gets some more improvements.
    There's a new Windows Security Centre to help keep you protected.

I won't list everything, its easy enough to find the main new features on google.
    Make sure you look at some of the articles about 'hidden' features, these are often the ones you end up using the most.
    Here's just a couple of links:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...RrVJxLhyHkB.97
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11364170727975

So the usual advice in preparation for any major system upgrade:
    • BACK UP all your documents, photos, etc. onto an external drive or memory stick just in case something goes wrong with the update process. (You should do regular backups anyway).
    • Not as important but it's a good idea to delete temporary files and empty the recycle bin. Windows built in Disc Cleanup will do this or you could use a 3rd party cleaner such as CCleaner from Piriform.
      If you do use a 3rd party cleaning programme DO NOT use any 'registry cleaner' included - they are unnecessary and can can make your PC unstable/unusable if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
    • You may want to check that programmes you use regularly are up to date.
    • Especially check that your Anti-virus is up to date. Windows Updates can be blocked or corrupted by out of date AVs.
      (A friend of mine had an old AV version that had been blocking Windows updates for over a year).
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-05-2017 at 03:51 PM.

The manual way to the "Creators Upgrade" is now working if you want to get it before next weeks Automatic Update.

You need to get the new version of the Windows Update Assistant which is now available of the offical MS website.

If you already have Windows Update Assistant on your computer you should uninstall it before downloading the new one.

Then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Click on the "Update Now" button to download the Assistant, and then double click on the downloaded file (Windows10Upgrade9252.exe) to run it.

After a few seconds wait it should tell you that you do not have the lastest build of Win 10, and that you can update to Build 15063 (which is the Creators Update) - and away you go, just follow the instructions.

I'm running it right now, but with my wifi maxing out at 7.2 Mbps it's going to take a while to download the update.

I now have the Creators Upgrade installed and running.

It installed without any problems but did take a while as expected, it's a major OS upgrade after all.

I'm still having a look around but everything I normally use is working fine.

Some things that I had set to my personal preference have been reset to Microsoft defaults, annoying but I can set them back again, it may just take a while.

I'll let you all know before the automatic roll-out next week if there are any great problems reported by those of us who have installed it early.

The biggest change that I'm seeing up to now is the new "Security Centre".
    I'm still working it out, but here is a good looking article about it:
    https://www.winhelp.us/configure-win...ty-center.html
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-06-2017 at 09:31 PM.

You can apparently still download/upgrade to win 10 free should someone still wish to do that

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

I find this web site very informative and usefull if you are still using Win 7 and 8.1 https://www.askwoody.com/

Hi Tom,

That Microsoft site is the media creation site.
    You can download from there but you need to either already have a 'digital entitlement' to install Win 10, or pay a fee to get an entitlement for it.

You can still get windows 10 as a free upgrade if you go to the "Assistive Technology" webpage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-11-2017 at 09:48 AM.

The Windows 10 "Creators Update" is due to start the Automatic Rollout today, April 11th.

This means that everbody using Win 10 home should get it as an Automatic Upgrade in the next few days.

I installed it manually last Thursday and have been using it since.
    The download/install went without a hitch, and Windows itself has not shown any problems.

It is a long download and install, 2 to 4 hours depending on you computer specs and broadband connection speeds, it's a major upgrade.
    You may want to turn your PC on when you go to bed and leave it to do the upgrade overnight.

There have been no real changes to the things that I use, except for the new Security Centre.
    I gave some links to posts about the new features that you may use in post #104 above.

I did have a problem with one programme, the "Junkware Removal Tool" from Malwarebytes.
    It's not a programme that you would use everyday, if you use it at all. It is meant primarily as a tool to clean up (infected) computers
    Running JRT in Creators Update would corrupt the display of any other programme until you restarted the computer.
    I notified the developers of the issue on Sunday and they quickly found and fixed the problem (it was terminating a font driver), they have released a new version of JRT.
    If you use JRT then get the new version, from here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...-813-released/

I have seen one or two other user issues reported online, but very few and they seem to be with fairly unusual set-ups and little used programmes.

There may be more reported as it gets rolled out to everybody worldwide, give me a shout if you have any problems and I will try to help.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.

I don't have micro-shafts latest incarnation Win 10 installed on my PC I built my own box and get to decide if and when i install updates, and also choose what gets installed, at a time i choose, I also don't like the GUI of win 10 or 8.1 I have no use for any of the apps(bloat ware) I also think Win10 is an invasion of my privacy, too much telmetry (spyware) for me some that is not readily disabled even with the plethora of 3rd party software that claims to stop this spyware

I'm content running Win7 if it ain't broken ,why try and fix it?