Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diesel cars for low mileage customers

diesel cars for low mileage customers

Looking to change my Scenic which I had for 5 yrs(extended lease) I've been told by my dealers motability rep that as I only do an average of 5000 miles per year ,that a diesel car for me is not advised! It seems that a new self cleaning fuel filter is now fitted to all diesel cars and if the car is not run fast enough, and often enough, for the filter to really heat up and self clean then it will clog up and the car will stop eventually. Replacement of this filter will cost in the region of up to £1500. The rep told me she thought the replacement of this filter is not included in the scheme and the cost may have to be borne by the driver or by motability. Now if this is true it's going to rule out an awful lot of cars from the scheme for low mileage drivers, so could anyone confirm or deny whay she told me. Alex

All new diesel cars are fitted with a DPF. They require regular long runs to self clean. At 5000 miles a year, id imagine your not going to get those long runs.

Im not sure about the motability scheme and repacing the DPF. I thought all maintenance was included. If its not, then id definetly go for a petrol. Unlikely to make much difference in fuel cost given your low mileage.

DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter - it is like an extra catalytic converter for the soot particles. If you don't do at least 20 miles at over 50 mph at least once a month, then as carl says, they clog up.

If you are only doing 5k miles per year, why would you want a diesel anyway? It is very unlikely that the savings on fuel would cover the extra cost of the diesel.

Most manufacturers now have small turbo petrol engines that come close to diesel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter - it is like an extra catalytic converter for the soot particles. If you don't do at least 20 miles at over 50 mph at least once a month, then as carl says, they clog up.

If you are only doing 5k miles per year, why would you want a diesel anyway? It is very unlikely that the savings on fuel would cover the extra cost of the diesel.

Most manufacturers now have small turbo petrol engines that come close to diesel economy.
    Petrol best option. Diesel consumption high on short journey

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    Hi Carl,
    I have a diesel car - my first one and I love it as I drive 8-9k for work - can you explain DPF? Sounds like a diesel filter at a guess?

Many thanks
    Rasy
    As Keithl said, it collects the soot particles. A diesel engine creates alot of soot particles on first start up. The dpf burns off those soot particles once your exhaust system reaches the required temperature. in order to get your exhaust to the required temperature, you need a reasonably long journey.

Diesel cars arent much different if you do low milage, pottering around town for example, you might not notice much of a difference. There is also something to note called a DPF or Diesel Particulate Filter... you need to do a sufficient amount of miles for it not to go wrong. Modern Diesels all have one, if they go wrong they are £100's to fix.

If you are looking for a wheelchair car we got ours from http://www.wheelchairadaptedvehicles.co.uk/

Ahh sorry ive just seen this..Ive just mentioned the same.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post

Ahh sorry ive just seen this..Ive just mentioned the same.

Some diesel say 88mpg, but real life mpg only 55.

Quote Originally Posted by alex9467 View Post
    Looking to change my Scenic which I had for 5 yrs(extended lease) I've been told by my dealers motability rep that as I only do an average of 5000 miles per year ,that a diesel car for me is not advised! It seems that a new self cleaning fuel filter is now fitted to all diesel cars and if the car is not run fast enough, and often enough, for the filter to really heat up and self clean then it will clog up and the car will stop eventually. Replacement of this filter will cost in the region of up to £1500. The rep told me she thought the replacement of this filter is not included in the scheme and the cost may have to be borne by the driver or by motability. Now if this is true it's going to rule out an awful lot of cars from the scheme for low mileage drivers, so could anyone confirm or deny whay she told me. Alex
    Your dealer is wrong!

It isn't about the total annual mileage but the way you drive your car - if you just potter about under 30mph all the time then yes, stick with a petrol.
    However, if you regularly (once a week) drive at over 40mph for more than 15 minutes (travelled 10 miles without slowing) then a diesel will be ok for you.

How does your dealer know how you drive just by going from your annual mileage?
    5000 miles per year, could equal 96 miles in one weekend or a 19 mile daily motorway commute - again enough for a diesel car.

If you were purchasing privately then the cost of a diesel compared to a petrol (diesel engines cost more to buy) would make the petrol cheaper over 5000 miles, but not necessarily more efficient.

For the record Motability will replace DPFs as part of the contract, but as long as you get the DPF up to temperature once a week you'll never have any trouble with one - I never have.

Finally they are NOT NEW - they have been used in road cars for over 20 years!!!

Please find somewhere else to get your next Motability car as this guy sounds like a moron.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-07/2015; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg (31.9 - 56.7mpg)
    07/2015-Present; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg (34.4 - 59.9mpg)
    NEW DUE 08/2017; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SE DSG

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs