Thread: Speed cameras

Speed cameras

Well, it was back in March when I was snapped going slightly over the speed limit and had to go on a Speed Awareness Course.

Well, I've been collared again this time by a roving speed camera at the end of Princess Parkway just before in turns into a Motorway. I actually slowed down to the normal speed before passing a suspicious white van with blacked out windows and a small silhouette of a camera on the rear door.

I logged on to the Polices website to view the photo. The photo has details like date, time and distance - the photo was taken when I was 150 metres away.

Anyway they want me to send them information to confirm I was the driver. Then a ticket will be issued.

I'm going to send a letter of mitigation with this first letter as you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Well, it was back in March when I was snapped going slightly over the speed limit and had to go on a Speed Awareness Course.

Well, I've been collared again this time by a roving speed camera at the end of Princess Parkway just before in turns into a Motorway. I actually slowed down to the normal speed before passing a suspicious white van with blacked out windows and a small silhouette of a camera on the rear door.

I logged on to the Polices website to view the photo. The photo has details like date, time and distance - the photo was taken when I was 150 metres away.

Anyway they want me to send them information to confirm I was the driver. Then a ticket will be issued.

I'm going to send a letter of mitigation with this first letter as you never know.
    Seen as the photo was taken 150 meters away - perhaps it was taken before you spotted the unmarked police van and before you had chance to slow down to the correct speed? I wish you well - nobody likes to pay fines or have points on ones licence - but it does seem to me you will struggle with credible mitigation.

Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post

Hi

I wouldnt hold your breath im afraid as if they clocked you speeding before the change of speed onto the motorwat (im assumning that Princess Parkway etc has say a 30 or 40 limit obviously im not there) then you will get points im afraid they might offer you a speed awareness course though you never know, its what your speedo is for in the car!!!

Haaving attended a speed awareness course I know that the speed I was doing is over what is accepted.

I've not had points in many years. The last time was on a Sunday morning on a Motorway just exiting a reduced speed zone a little early on the gas. Very annoying as the road was empty.

It's funny as I used to use this road 10 times a week for 38 years and was never in trouble fr speeding - that's over 19,000 trips blight free. Still, there's a first for everything

When I did my awareness course I was told that it will not be offered again if I get caught within 3 years.

One cannot do another speed awareness course within 3 years of the previous one. I'm afraid it will be points and a fine this time, they will take no notice of your letter.

That's te true Beau. But I sat next to a woman who was on her fourth speed awareness course in three years! It seemed she got caught by a speed camera 500 yards from her house at the bottom of a hill. I asked why she got caught out knowing the camera was there. She said she just 'free-wheeled' down the hill and the momentum automatically took her over 30 mph. I did ask if she'd cnsidered slowing down by braking . . .

So, I don't know what she told them but I guess they went easy on her being in her 50s and needing the car to visit family, hospitals etc. I don't suppose they'll put me on another speed awareness course as it was only 6 months since the last one - I'll let you know.

Typically I've run out of printer inks!!