Thread: PIP claim and capita assessment -- how do you give them a copy of a recording?

Question PIP claim and capita assessment -- how do you give them a copy of a recording?

Hello all, I have just posted my 'How does your disability affect you' form today and fully expect to be given an assessment. As I live in Derbyshire, I believe I am in Capita's Central England assessment area, so I have been reading up on them and the assessment rules, as well. I am more than 90 minutes away from any of their offices, so it will be an at-home or telephone assessment.

The rules say you can make an audio recording of the session, so long as you let them know you are doing so. But it also says you have to provide them a copy at the end of the session. If you record them, how do you make a copy if you don't have access to a CD-writer? An audio cassette would require 2 machines, and even then, that's not actually a "copy" necessarily...

I just can't get it straight how they would expect this to happen "at the end of the session" -- especially if it's a telephone assessment! I have a Chromebook without any CD drive. It does have a microphone port, but then how can I make a copy to hand to them at that moment? Or do you think they would let me email it to them?

Has anyone done this yet? Any advice on how to best do it?

It will be a while yet, so no panic, just want to be prepared...

Thanks in advance, Michelle G

I would be amazed if the assessment was done over the telephone. I have never heard or read of this happening.

If you want a home assessment you would have to request one.

Here are the ATOS rules.
    "
    You can request to audio record your consultation by calling our Customer Service Centre, but you will need to provide your own equipment.

Inform us beforehand that you wish to record your consultation, which can be done by calling our Customer Service Centre. Please let us know as soon as possible, as we may not be able to accept requests made on the day of your consultation.

Your recording equipment must be able to produce two identical copies of the recording at the end of the consultation, either in audio cassette or CD format. You will need to give one copy of the recording to the Health Professional undertaking your consultation, at the end of the consultation. Devices like PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones or MP3 players are not acceptable recording devices.

You will need to sign an agreement that sets out what you are and are not allowed to do with the recording.

We will keep our copy of the recording securely for a maximum of 14 months. After that time, we will destroy it. We don’t normally pass the recordings onto DWP and they do not use it when deciding on your entitlement and award of PIP.

It is also useful to note that if you try to record the consultation without contacting us before hand and agreeing with the requirements set out above then your consultation may be stopped and we may have to pass your case back to DWP."

I've never heard of anyone having a telephone assessment, but if it was possible at all, recording would not be allowed because the duplicate copy has to be handed to the assessor at the end of the assessment. If you want your assessment recorded you have to ask their permission and either they will supply the equipment and make the recording or if they do not have equipment available you must supply approved equipment yourself. This must be a stand-alone CD or cassette recording deck which makes two identical copies at the same time. There will also be strict conditions on how any recording can be used, if made.

I have read all the relevant information on ATOS and Capita, already. Useful for anyone else reading who hasn't, though, thanks!
    Last edited by mrsmg; 09-30-2015 at 06:25 PM.

I have seen reports of people being allowed to use two identical cassette tape recorders.

How true these reports are I can't judge, it does not seem to breach the ATOS guidance though.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    I would be amazed if the assessment was done over the telephone. I have never heard or read of this happening.

If you want a home assessment you would have to request one.

Yep, I know I have to request one, just saying that I have the *right* to request one due to the distance involved.

Also, a full assessment is always face-to-face (whether their offices or at home), but they may not need a full assessment and might only telephone, as per this from the Citizens Bureau:

In most cases, the health professional will ask you to attend a face-to-face assessment. In some cases, they may decide they have enough evidence from the information you've provided to report back to the DWP. In other cases, they may phone you for more information.

If you're claiming because you're terminally ill, you won't be asked to attend a face-to-face assessment.

So, if they telephone, I will still want to record. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that I should have someone who knows stenography as an "assessment note taker". Then I don't have to provide the assessor with *anything*.

Thanks for this, the telephone is only used for questions, not for the assessment Sorry if I mis-typed!

I was pretty sure it would be as you say, though, as how could they know it was identical if it is over the phone? However, I have just read on Disability Wales that the BBC has solicited a statement from the DWP that people are allowed to make a one-copy recording "for their own peace of mind." So that means you don't actually have to give them a copy, but then as they wouldn't have a copy to rebut yours with, you wouldn't be able to use yours as evidence. You could use it to refresh you memory however, when / if you need to do an MR or have an appeal, so still might be worth doing.

After a couple of more hours of reading about this situation, I think I will get someone to take stenography notes of the session, if it occurs. Seems like the only way to get a true and independent transcript without triggering the requirement for dual recording (which evidently, only applies to audio!).

Anyway, thanks for your response...

Thanks to those who responded. I have now decided to get a stenographer friend involved, if it comes to that. Cheers!