Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Car Allowance

Automatic Car Allowance

I am hoping either PaulG or another war pensioner who knows the score can help me here:

I am trying to find some information on the allowance given because I need an automatic car on the Motability scheme due to my accepted injuries (amputations). The car dealer is entirely clueless and the lady I spoke to at the Motability call centre had heard about it but knew nothing about how much, or how it worked in practice, or how to apply etc etc.

Also was I dreaming but is there also an allowance for certain other adaptions?

I am hoping to order this week and information is lacking somewhat.

Thanks
    Richard

I drive an automatic but I'm not aware of any extra discount given if that's the only gearbox that suits your mobility needs.

Just a few points -

- look into electric cars as these operate just like an automatic

- getting a motability lease car will enable you to obtain some adaptations for free or at greatly reduced cost but only when ordering your vehicle.

- Have you checked out disability grants to help pay for deposits or advanced payments. http://www.disability-grants.org/gra...-veterans.html

Quote Originally Posted by Richard2SG View Post
    I am hoping either PaulG or another war pensioner who knows the score can help me here:

I am trying to find some information on the allowance given because I need an automatic car on the Motability scheme due to my accepted injuries (amputations). The car dealer is entirely clueless and the lady I spoke to at the Motability call centre had heard about it but knew nothing about how much, or how it worked in practice, or how to apply etc etc.

Also was I dreaming but is there also an allowance for certain other adaptions?

I am hoping to order this week and information is lacking somewhat.

Thanks
    Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes there is an allowance of up to £660 to cover the difference in Advance Payments between the automatic/semi automatic and manual versions of the same car for WPMS recipients on the Motability scheme providing the automatic or semi-automatic gearbox is needed for your accepted disability (As an amputee you will certainly qualify). If the difference in advance payment is less than the £660 it covers the full difference. If it is more than £660 you pay the difference over and above the £660.. Contrary to a rumour I have recently heard the allowance is not means tested nor do Veterans UK intend to means test it.

There are two ways in which this is flagged up. When your dealer places the order on the Motability Scheme online system, as a WPMS recipient a box will be on the screen which needs ticking to say you require adaptations (Automatic Transmission is classed as an adaption in this case along with other adaptations). Ticking the box opens another page which needs populating with the adaptations required including automatic transmission. It should work out the Advance Payment minus the automatic and any other allowances.

If this gets overlooked don't panic. Veterans UK now write to every WPMS recipient who orders an automatic/semi automatic car informing them of the automatic car allowance and asking if you wish to take it up along with any other of the adaptation allowances. The letter has a direct telephone number on it for the office which deals specifically with these adaptions at Veterans UK, Norcross. (If I was going to be in the office I could give you the number but I am away on a veteran’s casework update course all this week so haven’t got the number to hand). Anyway when you ring them they will go through the full process with you.

There are adaption allowances for almost all adaptions needed, from steering balls (albeit these are usually free on the Motability Managed Adaption Scheme- MMAS) right through to person hoists and wheelchair hoists and stowage etc. They are pretty flexible and helpful where they can be. Generally the amounts cover the full adaption cost or at least make up most of it on the MMAS. Again all these allowances are not means tested unlike many grants from the Motability Charitable Scheme.

If you need anything else ask away and I will look in this evening.

Regards
    PaulG
    Last edited by PaulG; 10-19-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Hi Richard,

Yes there is an allowance of up to £660 to cover the difference in Advance Payments between the automatic/semi automatic and manual versions of the same car for WPMS recipients on the Motability scheme providing the automatic or semi-automatic gearbox is needed for your accepted disability (As an amputee you will certainly qualify). If the difference in advance payment is less than the £660 it covers the full difference. If it is more than £660 you pay the difference over and above the £660.. Contrary to a rumour I have recently heard the allowance is not means tested nor do Veterans UK intend to means test it.

There are two ways in which this is flagged up. When your dealer places the order on the Motability Scheme online system, as a WPMS recipient a box will be on the screen which needs ticking to say you require adaptations (Automatic Transmission is classed as an adaption in this case along with other adaptations). Ticking the box opens another page which needs populating with the adaptations required including automatic transmission. It should work out the Advance Payment minus the automatic and any other allowances.

If this gets overlooked don't panic. Veterans UK now write to every WPMS recipient who orders an automatic/semi automatic car informing them of the automatic car allowance and asking if you wish to take it up along with any other of the adaptation allowances. The letter has a direct telephone number on it for the office which deals specifically with these adaptions at Veterans UK, Norcross. (If I was going to be in the office I could give you the number but I am away on a veteran’s casework update course all this week so haven’t got the number to hand). Anyway when you ring them they will go through the full process with you.

There are adaption allowances for almost all adaptions needed, from steering balls (albeit these are usually free on the Motability Managed Adaption Scheme- MMAS) right through to person hoists and wheelchair hoists and stowage etc. They are pretty flexible and helpful where they can be. Generally the amounts cover the full adaption cost or at least make up most of it on the MMAS. Again all these allowances are not means tested unlike many grants from the Motability Charitable Scheme.

If you need anything else ask away and I will look in this evening.

Regards
    PaulG
    Brilliant.

Very Very many thanks PaulG.

I will print it off and take it to the Ford dealer this afternoon. When I tried to order a car there on Saturday morning the Motability gadgy had absolutely no idea about it and I must admit I wasn't much help to him as all I could tell him was that there was an allowance but not how much it was or how it worked. I had heard it existed at one of the British Legion moneywise briefings a couple of years ago but I should have perhaps taken more notice.

I have to say that there is very little information around about it. It sounds a good idea that Vets UK are now also writing to us about it. To date I have missed out on this allowance at every car change by not knowing about it.

So my new Kuga Titanium X 2.0 tdci 178bhp 4wd automatic should now have an advance of only £134 - absolutely fantastic. Plus of course any amounts owing after the allowances for the wheelchair hoist etc.

Thanks again Paul.

Richard

Hi Richard,

No problem.

If you need anything else just post away and I will try to answer it.

If you know any more veterans who receive WPMS it maybe worthwhile letting them know about the allowances available as it may affect their choice of vehicle on the Motability scheme. I agree there is scant information about the allowances out there, so the more the word is spread the better.

Just another thing, although not needed for a Motability Car as it comes with breakdown cover, but WPMS recipients are entitled to a free RAC/AA membership card which can be useful if you own a second vehicle. To obtain one, just ring Veterans Uk on 0808 1914 218 and ask for the Veterans Disabled Drivers AA/RAC Assistance Card and they will send you out the card.

The AA/RAC Assistance Card is vehicle specific for one vehicle at a time only and you will need the registration number of the car that is to be covered by it. It is a little known about but very valuable concession for any war pensioners who receive WPMS.

Regards

Paul

Well at last I have ordered my new car, a Ford Kuga 178bhp (180ps) Automatic 4x4 Titanium X on the scheme.

I still cannot believe this, but with the Automatic car allowance and the allowances for the wheelchair hoist and swivel seat, then the dealer offering £250 Cashback as well as Ford throwing in the Appearance Pack, I will walk out with cash actually in my hand and no advance payment!

I just cannot believe I never knew about the allowances, as for the last four changes of cars I paid the full advance payment for an automatic and paid fully for the hoists etc. It was only by chance I saw something about it third hand. Many thanks to PaulG for his help with all this.

Richard.

Well at last I have ordered my new car, a Ford Kuga 178bhp (180ps) Automatic 4x4 Titanium X on the scheme.

I still cannot believe this, but with the Automatic car allowance and the allowances for the wheelchair hoist and swivel seat, then the dealer offering £250 Cashback as well as Ford throwing in the Appearance Pack, I will walk out with cash actually in my hand and no advance payment!

I just cannot believe I never knew about the allowances, as for the last four changes of cars I paid the full advance payment for an automatic and paid fully for the hoists etc. It was only by chance I saw something about it third hand. Many thanks to PaulG for his help with all this.

Richard.
    This excellent post needs to be given prominence as others may benefit snd many peopke nor aware of extea allowance.

Richard.
    Hi Richard,

I am pleased you have got sorted.

The free 'Appearance Pack' and Cashback deal must be the icing on the cake! It makes me wish I had opted for the Kuga now lol.

Happy Motoring (when you get it).

PaulG

Some very useful information in this thread which many may not be aware of.

This is a superb piece of information to anyone requiring an automatic. I am in the process of looking for my new car. (Mercedes C class saloon automatic). I currently own a VW CC automatic and received the Adaptation grant 3 years ago. I had to apply for the grant originally and sent the form through to Norcross. They then sent a certificate out saying that I will never have to re apply for the grant and that it goes through automatically every time I order a new car. Unfortunately I lost the certificate and having found out from the above threads that this pops up during the ordering process is a a nice weight of my mind. I tried contacting Norcross but they seemed a little confused with this grant and didn't really understand.

If anyone has the direct number to call then this would be ideal. I am heading down to the Mercedes garage in the next week because ive also heard that there is going to be a cap on the Price limit of new vehicles which would mean that the Merc will no longer be available. I hope this is not the case as I certainly don't mind paying an advanced payment for such a motor.

Keep up the thread, it should be more prominent.

john