Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DLA / PIP past retirement age.

DLA / PIP past retirement age.

I am new here today so my apologies if this question has already been raised.
    I am over 65 and have been on DLA for many years.
    Given that PIP will not be available past retirement age will this also apply to existing claimants?
    Or
    When DLA changes to PIP will I automatically be transferred to PIP?
    Will the over 65ís have to undergo a physical test ?

Quote Originally Posted by roythegrass View Post
    Given that PIP will not be available past retirement age will this also apply to existing claimants?
    Or
    If you were awarded DLA indefinitely you will keep on getting it because it was awarded before you were 65. However everyone in receipt of DLA will have to be reviewed anytime after April 2013 as it no longer exists and PIP replaces it.

This test will give you an idea whether you qualify for PIP under the new rules.
    http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f60.htm

Note - the above test isn't set in stone as it's still being developed - in theory!

That is not quite true, those over 65 who currently get DLA will not have to go through this, yet. "There are no current plans to replace DLA with Personal Independence Payment for children aged under 16 and people over the age of 65 who are already receiving DLA." http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disabil...dence-payment/
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    That is not quite true, those over 65 who currently get DLA will not have to go through this, yet. "There are no current plans to replace DLA with Personal Independence Payment for children aged under 16 and people over the age of 65 who are already receiving DLA." http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disabil...dence-payment/
    Thanks Stephen
    I could read that two ways. Either DLA ceases upon reaching 65 (as I believe PIP will) or will continue to be paid after 65 to existing claimants as DLA and not be referred to as PIP. (Or am I being paranoid about Government double speak !)
    Roy

I have no idea. What I do know, as it has been said in the House & on the news, is that those over 65 will not lose this benefit. I assume they will be switched as keeping DLA for them will mean two benefits to administer, but then as they are stupid, they could just keep DLA for them. I know what I fear, they will switch & cut those on MRC to lower. If that happens without assessment that will cause further trouble. So maybe they will keep DLA. Happy to now add to the confusion, worry & paranoia!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by roythegrass View Post
    Or
    Hi Roy,

cut and paste below from http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/personal-...yment-faqs.pdf this was only published on 16 Jan.

"16. Will pensioners receiving DLA be affected by these changes?

No. At the moment Personal Independence Payment will not replace DLA for those aged over 65.

They can continue to receive DLA so long as they continue to satisfy the qualifying conditions.

We want to see how the assessment for the new benefit works for people of working age before deciding if people over 65 and getting DLA should undertake a new assessment."

hope this help,s, good luck.

Terry.
    Last edited by terryo2; 01-19-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Oh God, that means if they do not abandon PIP those over 65 will get transferred. I can read politician speak.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Oh God, that means if they do not abandon PIP those over 65 will get transferred. I can read politician speak.
    unfortunatly PIP will continue, the second draft of the PIP assessment criteria (Jan-April 2012) has been sent to those deemed fit (by the DWP) to comment on the criteria, there is no good news in draft 2, much as the first draft contained no good news for DLA claiment,s, PIP will become the undernourished son of DLA along with the Welfare Reform Bill,

good luck

T.

Can someone tell me how I resigned from the human race?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by terryo2 View Post
    Hi Roy,

cut and paste below from http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/personal-...yment-faqs.pdf this was only published on 16 Jan.

"16. Will pensioners receiving DLA be affected by these changes?

No. At the moment Personal Independence Payment will not replace DLA for those aged over 65.

They can continue to receive DLA so long as they continue to satisfy the qualifying conditions.

We want to see how the assessment for the new benefit works for people of working age before deciding if people over 65 and getting DLA should undertake a new assessment."

hope this help,s, good luck.

Terry.
    Thanks for that Terry, great minds think alike as I also found that on the DWP website after hours of searching in google.
    It is to be hoped that DLA for the current claimants over 65 will continue to receive the allowance and it worst it will go the same way as SDA which was only stopped for new claims but continued for existing claimants.