Thread: carers allowance

carers allowance

Afternoon!

just a quick question, as ive just been awarded DLA, and my mum is my carer, obviously mum can now claim carers allowance for me, but ive just been informed that if mum claims carers allowance, it affects my jobseekers or ESA which ever 1 they put me on....

will mum claiming carers affect any of my benefits... mum claims no money at all or benefits for herself anyway so doesnt make any difference to her..

See this for entitlement and effects on benefits.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ne/DG_10012529

Simple answer is yes as the CA is yours, not her's. It is taaxable income & a means tested one. My mother gets it for me & they take it back off my Income Support. It is ironic as that is paid for someone to help care for us, not for us to use for any other means.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by kirby View Post
    Afternoon!

just a quick question, as ive just been awarded DLA, and my mum is my carer, obviously mum can now claim carers allowance for me, but ive just been informed that if mum claims carers allowance, it affects my jobseekers or ESA which ever 1 they put me on....

will mum claiming carers affect any of my benefits... mum claims no money at all or benefits for herself anyway so doesnt make any difference to her..
    If you live on your own independently from your mother, and no one claims Carers Allowance for looking after you then you can be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium of 55.30 a week aded to your weekly benefit.

But if you live with your mother you cannot get the Severe Disability Premium. Or if she claims Carers Allowance you cannot get the Severe disability premium.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Simple answer is yes as the CA is yours, not her's. It is taaxable income & a means tested one. My mother gets it for me & they take it back off my Income Support. It is ironic as that is paid for someone to help care for us, not for us to use for any other means.
    not sure if your right HE has DLA his mum would get CA regardless of him being on esa or jsa

Duncan, remember, I get both those, & my mother lives with me.

Yes Dave, he can get CA, but they will take it back of his other means tested benefits, as they do with me of my IS.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

thanks...

Mum doesnt live with me, she lives literally round the corner, i only have my 18yr old son who is still in college and will be until hes 20..still get child benefit for him!!

the woman at the benefits place told me they have stopped doing the severe disability premium so i wont recieve this anyway... im just so confused as ive never had to claim dla befor so dont know where to start! im on Job seekers at the moment as they say im still fit for work!!

thank you for all your help

I still get the SDP, & just checked their website & it is on there. Get in touch with the CAB, they can advise fully. There are so many things you can claim, so many you cannot, so many you may depending on other benefits you get or do not get, & so many you cannot get if you get others. By the time we found out we had missed out on months of money, when we needed it the most.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by kirby View Post
    thanks...

Mum doesnt live with me, she lives literally round the corner, i only have my 18yr old son who is still in college and will be until hes 20..still get child benefit for him!!

the woman at the benefits place told me they have stopped doing the severe disability premium so i wont recieve this anyway... im just so confused as ive never had to claim dla befor so dont know where to start! im on Job seekers at the moment as they say im still fit for work!!

thank you for all your help
    Rubbish, the Severe Disability Premium can still be paid as long as;

1/ You get DLA at middle or high rate.

2/ No non dependant over 18 lives with you. You 18 year old son is classed as a dependant because you get child benefit for him, so he is ignored.

3/ No one is claiming Carers allowance for looking after you, like your mum.

The Severe Disability Premium is worth 55.30 a week extra to you.

OR Your mum can claim 55.55 a week Carers Allowance providing she does earn more than 100 a week take home. But then you cannot get the 55.30 severe disability premium. If she is not working but her husband is, then she can get the full 55.55 a week carers allowance.

If your mum is claiming benefits like pension or pension credit, she could be entitled to an extra benefit payment of 31 a week called a Carers Premium.

Details on severe disability premium.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...port/DG_068683