Thread: In-home Demonstrations

In-home Demonstrations

Hi all,
    My wife is currently house-bound with osteoarthritis. Am in the process of obtaining a motability wheelchair accessible vehicle and a power wheelchair or powerchair.
    The car convertors have been very understanding and are bringing a vehicle to the house for my wife to look over and try out getting into and out of using a wheelchair/powerchair.
    However the same cannot be said for wheelchair/powerchair providers - having done quite a bit of research on the internet I have located a particular powerchair that is ideal for my wife but when I contacted the local dealerships they all will not/cannot provide a unit for demonstration in my house - we have to commit to buying the chair first!!! This I am not prepared to do especially with the cost of the unit in £000's and no guarantee that it will be suitable for my wife.
    I have even contacted the manufacturers direct but just received a "we do not supply demonstration models" reply.

Has anyone met with this situation and overcome it and if so how????

Many thanks for any advice as to how to get round this impasse

Stan

That is a shame, I feel they are being short-sighted as they are losing a potential customer. Have you contacted disabled groups & charities? They may know of a way locally that would suit your wife.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,
    Thanks for replying - good suggestion.
    Am in touch with the County Council's wheelchair assessment services who seem only to be able to offer a "standard heavy duty powered wheelchair" from one Company. I would like my wife to try a mid-wheel powerchair because I feel it may be more suitable for around the house (small turning circle, rotating seat etc) but am concerned that a rotating seat might = unpleasant movement when she is riding on it in the car - hence the desire to try one.
    Haven't really been in touch with disabled groups locally - has always been a "will do tomorrow" action - this may make me get off rear-end and get some advice re groups in area.
    Cheers and all the best
    Stan

YW. In Leeds we have a place where you can go to test equipment, it is The William Merritt Disabled Living Centre, I will post the link at the end. I was wondering, you may have something similar you could contact. I think we all get the "tomorrow" attitude as it is often such a battle we feel drained. The fact is, help will not come to you, you have to go find it. The problem is knowing where to look or ask.
    http://www.williammerrittleeds.org/
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 01-25-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen