Thread: working less than 16 hours but still claim benefits

working less than 16 hours but still claim benefits

Please can someone tell me how much you can earn with working less than 16 hours a week and how much benefits you can get. I currently get 150 a week, which includes severe disability premium plus my rent and council tax is paid. So would I be better off if I worked less than 16 hours a week and is there a limit of how much I can earn an hour? I would like to do some work for thereupuetic reasons. But don't want to be worse off.

Think its 97.50 a week is the upper limit of how much you can earn . Dont know what effect earning that much would have on your housing benefit etc

With ESA you can earn upto 92.00 a week under 16 hours.

However it's always best just to focus on working under 16 hours.
    I am a proud British European!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Please can someone tell me how much you can earn with working less than 16 hours a week and how much benefits you can get. I currently get 150 a week, which includes severe disability premium plus my rent and council tax is paid. So would I be better off if I worked less than 16 hours a week and is there a limit of how much I can earn an hour? I would like to do some work for thereupuetic reasons. But don't want to be worse off.
    Here are the permitted work rules. You can work under 16 hours a week and earn upto 97.50 a week extra. You must tell the benefit office. This applies to ESA, Incapacity and Severe Disablement Allowance.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ured/DG_171909

How come you can do that for part-time work but not full-time?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Cause I am not well enough. I have muscular dystrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    How come you can do that for part-time work but not full-time?
    If people are receiving ESA/IB they are limited by virtue of having been found unfit for full time work by a medical professional. Thats' where the 'permitted work' rules come in as well. They may be unable to do heavy manual work for example, but can sit for short periods at a check out etc.
    And people can still qualify for some Housing/Council Tax benefit when working full time - just as they can qualify for Working Tax Credits (which don't apply to under 16 hours.)
    The 16 hour rule has been applied for years to Income Support, as well as some other benefits. You will find that the earnings limit is always 16 times the minimum hourly wage, so in a way there has always been a 'safety net' minimum for those who are in full time or part time work, and the unemployed, with those who are able to do some permitted work benefiting - presumably - for making some effort which might lead back to full time work?
    Which IMO makes the idea of Universal Credits even more of a waste of time!

Right, so not general then, for anyone who works. That is why I was confused on this. Seems a lot of the benefits & criteria, etc, confuses me.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I thought the permitted work rules had been abolished and you cannot now do any work and still receive ib or esa??