Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Allium Giganteum - grow4ing in December!

You do in effect have 'free Alliums' if you've let your alliums go to seed.. They may not be true, and may take a while to grow, but if you want a challenge

Not a lot to do apart from tidying up, and clearing out storage spaces/greenhouse. And dealing with the 'big pile of junk' at the back of my parents garden

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingKidney View Post
    You do in effect have 'free Alliums' if you've let your alliums go to seed.. They may not be true, and may take a while to grow, but if you want a challenge
    How right you are. Fifty per cent of the bulbs have begun to sprout shoots over the last few days. But it appears that each bulb is thowing up two stems which isn't ideal as the flower heads can grace several inches in diameter!

Do you think I should wait a few weeks then cut the smallest of the two shoots back to allow one to thrive.

Each stem is just an inch high at the moment but as thick as your thumb.

The Allium have thrown up spickyg thick green leaves but as of now mnemonic stems.

I left last year's bulbs in (each was the size of a cricket ball). This year there are two new plants per bulb - it will be interesting if each plant throws up a pompon size flower in May!