Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leasing a car not through motabilty scheme ?

leasing a car not through motabilty scheme ?

Hello,

can anyone clarify what the vat implications would be on leasing a car not through the motability scheme.....as a full time wheelchair user i would have to get hand controls fitted and understand i would have to pay the insurance costs and servicing but would the actual lease be subject to vat relief

many thanks

It would depend on the supplier. Many businesses offer VAT relief to the disabled, many do not, but there is a form you can fill in to hand to them. You would have to pay for any adaptations of course. You would be best phoning some up, or looking online, see if the offer VAT relief. You might be able to claim it back yourself. Here is a link to help you: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/c...s/disabled.htm

You can get VAT relief if buying a car that has the smallest adaptation like a steering wheel knob but not sure when it comes to private leasing.

Did you know . . .

Adaptions such as swivel seats and wheelchair hoists. If you are worried about the cost of basic adaptations, such as hand controls, pedal modifications and steering knobs, call Motability on 0845 456 4566 and they may be able to provide and fit them free of charge - but only if it's a Motability lease hire car.

As you probably know when leasing a Motability car they throw in insurance for you and up to two other drivers, road tax, servicing and roadside assistance so VAT doesn't come into it - all you do is put the petrol in. If you privately lease a car it'll probably cost you more even if you can claim VAT back on the lease. You'll need to do a comparison..
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 02-14-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    You can get VAT relief if buying a car that has the smallest adaptation like a steering wheel knob but not sure when it comes to private leasing.

Did you know . . .

Adaptions such as swivel seats and wheelchair hoists. If you are worried about the cost of basic adaptations, such as hand controls, pedal modifications and steering knobs, call Motability on 0845 456 4566 and they may be able to provide and fit them free of charge - but only if it's a Motability lease hire car.

As you probably know when leasing a Motability car they throw in insurance for you and up to two other drivers, road tax, servicing and roadside assistance so VAT doesn't come into it - all you do is put the petrol in. If you privately lease a car it'll probably cost you more even if you can claim VAT back on the lease. You'll need to do a comparison..
    I did look into private leasing and was advised VAT is always charged on private lease deals.

But can you claim the VAT back? Who said that to you? have you checked with HMRC?

Many thanks for the information and advice......i was am still am slightly confused by the info on the HMRC site regarding hiring and leasing

scenario:

i am a full time wheelchair user
    i arrange to have any adaptations fitted before the lease starts if possible with the lease company or main dealer

the info given on the HMRC site says:

5. Hiring or leasing adapted motor vehicles

5.1 What are the conditions for zero-rating?

You can zero rate the hiring or leasing of an adapted motor vehicle when the following conditions are met:

1.The vehicle seating no more than 12 people must be supplied to a disabled person who normally uses a wheelchair or stretcher to be mobile

2.The vehicle must be adapted to enable the disabled wheelchair or stretcher user to enter, drive or otherwise travel in the vehicle

3.The adapted vehicle must be for the domestic or personal use of the disabled wheelchair or stretcher user

4.You hold documents to show eligibility

Am i being stupid or missing something.....of course this all depends on having any adaptations fitted before the lease begins....would this be such a big problem......please tell me if i am missing the point or are not reading the rules properly.

Thanks

I don't know if this is any help but some car manufacturers do offer their own leasing deals for the disabled, unfortunately I don't recall exactly which ones but if you have an idea of what you want try contacting the dealer and asking them.

You should be able to claim the VAT back, either from the company or applying yourself. Basically, if you get a car & it needs adapting that counts, if you meet the terms, that is being disabled & need an adapted car, & can show that you do.

Stepheninleeds,

Thankyou for your reply its a great help......i would of course check with HMRC to double check things....its not something i was planning to do at the moment but is interesting to know were the land lies....although value for money wise the Motability scheme with the added insurance and servicing seems a better bet.....sometimes the occasional deals that appear with main dealers and lease companies on a private lease can be quite attractive and may give someone who wants a specific car that is not available through motability a second choice, even though in most cases it will be more expensive.

Its always another avenue to consider

thanks

YW C. It is always wise to check it all out. Those deals can often have hidden costs, or not always cover what you need. Some will not lease to certain people either. They cannot refuse because you are disabled, but they can find ways around it.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen