Thread: wheelchair ramp.

wheelchair ramp.

I have finally managed to get me a ramp to get in my front door. Following some work by the landlord, the external doorway was reduced to 4ins. (it had been higher). But with a new UPVC door and my son leaving, it meant a hassle getting wheelie IN & OUT. I have to push/pull it in rather than drive - its all to do with doors and space and turning circles!!
    Ramps for the disabled seemed to be aluminium, huge and costly.
    So I ended up buying what they call a Heavy Duty Kerb Ramp 600mm x 300mm x 100mm, made of recycled rubber. Folk usually buy two, and use them to drive vans up pavements, so they are pretty damn tough. Its heavy enough that it won't shift and easy enough to move indoors at night to avoid people nicking it.
    Cost £25, with P&P and VAT - £35.
    A option you all may want to consider!

When I replaced my front and back doors with upvc ones I didn't want to create a barrier and trip hazard so I asked for a 'flush threshold'. But there's still a 3 or 4 inch drop to a step and a further step to the ground floor.

I've found it best to keep my wheelchair and add-on motor in the car boot - the lightweight battery is kept indoors.

The rubber or plastic ramps sound OK but don't drive up them as the gradient is too steep. Wheelchair ramp angles should be between 1:12 and 1:20 - Health and Safety!!

Near where I work there are ongoing (everlasting) roadworks and my preferred dropped kerb is currently not in use. The contractors have been using these rubber ramps whenever they obstruct a dropped kerb and I've been happily going up and down them for months. You probably need to know your chair, but I like these ramps; they don't move and they have some grip on them. Never thought of using them for building access but nice solution!

I don't drive up it. (tho it would take the weight) I simply need it to be able to get over the lip while the motor is in drive . (you'll know what I mean LT) THus avoiding standing in the rain taking the thing apart. I can get it in and THEN remove the battery and motor for cleaning.
    OH would not fit the level access "because I don't use the wheelchair indoors" Bloody stupid argument, but i've ended up with cheaper, better solution.
    i'd look into your insurance LT - the small print says the only time i'm not covered is when the motor is left unattended is a car....so beware!! Also you have to clean it. And charge the battery.
    Fliss it was from ESE direct https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-3486-t...erb-ramps.aspx

These seem very good value - I've just ordered some to keep on my WAV minibus for those 'just in case' moments.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A1IU9K040JJ2XQ