Thread: DWP Majority of people found fit for work 25 Jan 2011

DWP Majority of people found fit for work 25 Jan 2011

25 January 2011 – Majority of people found fit for work as Government presses ahead with reforms

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press...wp008-11.shtml

ESA:Work Capability Assessment Stastistical release Jan 2011

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/worki...a_25012011.pdf

This is not looking good, the media could have a field day with those figures

Employment Minister Chris Grayling:

"It’s unacceptable that so many people have been written off to a lifetime on benefits and these figures show just how vital it is that everyone who has the potential to work receives the right help and support.

"We are determined to get the medical assessment right and provide the necessary help for those that need it, however these figures show just how many people are found to be fit for work and not entitled to ESA.

"Our new Work Programme will ensure that those found fit for work will get the help and support they need to get a job. Those found too sick or disabled to work won’t be expected to and will continue to receive the support they need to lead fulfilling lives."
    I am sorry but what a load of crap.....( am I allowed to say that) !!

What jobs ? young school leavers cant even get a job im sorry but this is an all out attack on the most vulnerable and weakest people in our land its what the Tories are famous for they should hang their heads in shame.It seems this is a cross party principle too so all the disabled have to fight their corner is a small band of dedicated sites like this god bless you

Hi Sue, well you are right, so why should you not be allowed to say it? I wonder if they even noiced unemployment is up again? it's all too funny to laugh at!!

By the way i received an email from one of my MP's flunkies, who said they will report their findings to me, after speaking to the DWP, I emailed back to say please answer my questions do not quote the "party line" and just send me details of the transfer process, which i have already been sent, and can read on the internet anyway.Probably they will anyway.

Best Regards,Jan xx

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This is not looking good, the media could have a field day with those figures
    I wonder how many of the people who withdrew their claims for esa, or were found fit to work were left waiting so long that they recovered, from say a broken arm, or a back problem that improved? or were simply put off by the thought that they would not qualify. I met a man in a garage who had suffered from agoraphobia, lived alone and was too scared to go out, so much so that he had to give up his job, he even stopped smoking as he had no one to go for is fags!!and was unable to claim anything.This lasted 9 months and he neither saw a doctor or claimed anything, this is a true story, i did not like to ask how he got over it, but he must have as he was working in the garage, nd sadly smoking again. Many people on ib leave each year for various reasons and have done so since it began, it's all in the way the government present the statistics.
    Last edited by saintjanet; 01-26-2011 at 06:17 PM.

This is the worrying part Chris Grayling said Further changes will be made to reduce the rate of appeals,
    they are ripping the human right act up as we speak very worrying times ahead

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    This is the worrying part Chris Grayling said Further changes will be made to reduce the rate of appeals,
    they are ripping the human right act up as we speak very worrying times ahead
    I have said it before but i am glad all this did not happen to my husband when was in his 40's,it seemed bad enough then, when they brought in the ib50 in the 90's. The younger ones are in my thoughts,what else is in store for the future? The only good thing i can say is the government talk a good game but delays and changes MAY help claimants, in a small way.

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/worki...a_25012011.pdf

Scroll down to page 5 and you see that for the period Oct 2008 to Nov 2009 of the 33% that appealed being found fit for work, 60% lost the appeal. This still means 40% of appeals were allowed.

And those who lost their appeal would be allowed to reclaim ESA again anyway. Regulation 30, para (2)(a) and (b) of ESA Regulations 2008 allows a new claim to be made if more than six months have passed since the claimant failed a capability assessment. As it can take over six months for an appeal to be heard by a Tribunal, anyone who loses the appeal can reclaim the day after the appeal.

Or a new ESA claim can be made at any time after failing the capability assessment if after failing the assessment they then develope a new medical problem that makes them unfit for work. Or a medical problem they had at the time of the failed assessment becomes worse.

Hi Jan,

Am I right in thinking you have written to you MP to ask for a PROPER timetable of transfer and not just the usual answer...lets hope you get one...Might put some of out minds at rest( OR NOT) but at least we will know for sure what is going on. x