Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Drive?

Smart Drive?

I know there are a couple of Light Drive fans here, but has anyone experience of an RGK Smart Drive?

Just curious, need to replace current scooter/wheelchair system and wondering what might work? Interested in this as like idea of no joystick - have chair at work with joystick and it gets in the way!

Have seen someone use Chair with Smartdrive but wasn't able to speak to them sadly.

Hi Fliss,

Here's a Youtube clip of someone using one.

The Smartdrive allows you to use a manual wheelchair but the Smartdrive gives you extra power according to how hard you roll the wheels.

I saw one of these in action at a disability conference and seem to work perfectly well - but it wouldn't be any use to me! Unfortunately you need two good arms to make this work. I can only use one arm so that’s why a joystick works for me.

I did manage to ask a user of a Smartdrive what they thought about it. They were pleased with the purchase as it still requires you to use some energy to get it moving - the Lightdrive requires no effort.

The Smartdrive user just had one minus point. If you go over slightly bumpy grove at a reasonable speed it can cause the drive wheel to jump and that stalls the motor. Ask about this issue.

Have you notice how all these ‘add-on drives’ cost about the same e.g. £4000

The Lightdrive can go up to 6mph. However, in reality you can’t comfortably do 6 mph on the flat due to ‘front wheel shudder’. As your legs are relatively light there isn’t enough weight on the front wheels. If you are travelling down hill there is more weight thrown to the front wheels so you can travel at 6 mph without shudder.

Although the idea was to be able to fold my wheelchair and put it in the boot area manually together with the Lightdrive and battery as individual pieces it becomes a bit of a drag.

I’ve now had a 4-way car hoist fitted so it lifts the wheelchair, Lightdrive and battery as one unit - this requires no effort at all.

The Lightdrive is really good but it has it’s limitations. You can use it in the home on tarmac, in shopping malls, promenades etc but it’s not really suitable for rough terrain.

Best to get a trial run on one. If you want to see mine I can give you a demo of both the wheelchair fitted with the Lightdrive and how easy it is to dismantle or be placed in my Renault Scenic by hoist as one unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    I know there are a couple of Light Drive fans here, but has anyone experience of an RGK Smart Drive?

Just curious, need to replace current scooter/wheelchair system and wondering what might work? Interested in this as like idea of no joystick - have chair at work with joystick and it gets in the way!

Have seen someone use Chair with Smartdrive but wasn't able to speak to them sadly.
    Before I bought the Benoit Lightdrive, I did actually try one. The thing is as LT says, you need initial momentum - i dont have upper body strength. Also the whole taking it apart and getting it in a car was important factor. The power is in the "hubcap" which makes the detachable wheels very heavy when you take them off....
    So not best choice for me.

I will be at Naidex on 28th April - NEC Birmingham, with my Lightdrive if you want a demo.

Thanks Lightdrive friends for demo offers. I can't make Naidex but will keep your offers in mind.

I definitely would like to find out more about Smart Drive, would like to be more active now that I use wheels all the time. I've no idea if I'm strong enough, and I would certainly need better wheelchair skills, but would like to find out. Have sent few enquiries out today.

Clips are usually people with spinal injuries, abilities are so individual. Whatever I end up with I will continue to use a boot hoist to transfer in/out my car.

I think we probably all want something that's light, compact with a small turning circle, fits in a boot, can be used in restaurants etc, but will also cope with rough terrain and even a beach! I can dream

Apologies! the one I tried was NOT a Smartdrive (I see that now) I think it was Alber e-fix as you'll see the motor ON the wheels actually makes em heavy to move (for me!)

the beach and rough terrain is a quite different monster. I'd need a very rich sugar daddy and a shed. A very big shed to keep all this in....
    Last edited by reddivine; 04-17-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Apologies! the one I tried was NOT a Smartdrive (I see that now) I think it was Alber e-fix as you'll see the motor ON the wheels actually makes em heavy to move (for me!)

Yes they're incredibly heavy, I couldn't lift Alber wheels either.

the beach and rough terrain is a quite different monster. I'd need a very rich sugar daddy and a shed. A very big shed to keep all this in....
    And a man + van to take all terrain chair to whichever beach one fancied going to!

Well, off to the Trafford Centre today so Fliss if you're popping in and see a person in a white wheelchair belting along it's me. What I like about the Lightdrive is its manoverability. I can glide between shelves of expensive glassw4ear on either side without crashing into the shelves.

I like to see the serving staff watch and wipe beads of perspiration of their foreheads as they are worried about how much glass they're need to pick up when observing me driving along! lol

No wasn't there today, I'd have noticed your chair for sure!

Hope you're enjoying your hoist