Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Bedroom tax and single pensioners?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    131

    Bedroom tax and single pensioners?

    Afternoon All,

    I write this on behalf of a single pensioner who lives in a 2 bedroom flat who has raised concerns as to what this could/would mean for anybody in her position.

    As maybe the case with many single pensioners who receive pension credit and live in social housing with housing benefit covering the rental cost, if this bill passes in the form the present government wish.

    Will this mean that as this pensioner is single and lives in a 2 bedroom flat that he/she will be liable to pay 14 towards her rent? Or are pensioners exempt from this?

    Thanks for any advice given that I can pass on.

    Spencer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Stepheninleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    874
    I thought it was 11. However, no. Not right now. MPs have just overturned the Lords' defeat, but the Lords are still opposing this.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    131
    Hi, I know this is not the case at this moment in time but if the condems get there way will the single pensioner have to pay towards rent whether 11 or 14 pounds? Needs to know so that she make preparations to move from present flat tto 1 bedroom flat, sooner than later!
    Many thanks for reply so far.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    191
    When I was looking after my mother until she died, Testway Housing told me I could not stay in my two bedroom flat and I was moved within 4 weeks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Stepheninleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    874
    Cannot say yet, it depends on how the news Welfare Bills go, which are been fought on right now.

    Yes, some Councils are forcing people to move. I will fight that as this place has been adapted for my needs too. We have spent 8 years, 9 if you include the time before we moved it, getting what we need for each of us. They are not moving me to some flat on the top floor where the lifts do not work half the time, or some ground floor flat that has noisy neighbours, drug users. Nor where I have to start the fight again to get the place adapted to meet my needs. I have a tenancy agreement, & I will fight any forced move, as we did last time they tried to force us out of here rather than finishing the adaptations. They would have to offer me a really great place, great area, pack all my things, move me, help me uppack, & pay any costs I may have, for me to even consider it.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

  6. #6
    davewhit
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    Cannot say yet, it depends on how the news Welfare Bills go, which are been fought on right now.

    Yes, some Councils are forcing people to move. I will fight that as this place has been adapted for my needs too. We have spent 8 years, 9 if you include the time before we moved it, getting what we need for each of us. They are not moving me to some flat on the top floor where the lifts do not work half the time, or some ground floor flat that has noisy neighbours, drug users. Nor where I have to start the fight again to get the place adapted to meet my needs. I have a tenancy agreement, & I will fight any forced move, as we did last time they tried to force us out of here rather than finishing the adaptations. They would have to offer me a really great place, great area, pack all my things, move me, help me uppack, & pay any costs I may have, for me to even consider it.
    are you expecting for them to try and move you ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    When I was looking after my mother until she died, Testway Housing told me I could not stay in my two bedroom flat and I was moved within 4 weeks.
    I'm guessing it was a two bed flat that you shared with your mum but didn't have a joint tenancy otherwise you could have stayed.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Stepheninleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    874
    I am expecting them to actually, with all that is going on. They have tried already, Social Services that is. Housing are useless as ever. I think they may say I should not be in a two bedroom, if a time comes when I do end up living here alone. I am not opposed to moving, but I will not just move to some place they want to put me, that is not of my choice, & does not meet my needs. The Housing here have no idea, they assume they know, but do not ever take into account a person's needs & abilities, or lack thereof.

    There are, for instances, many homes that do not have direct access to the road, where there are communal paths that can run for sveral hundred feet. You know the sort. They have tried before to put us in homes in those areas, which are totally unsuitable.

    When we got this place I made sure we had a joint tenancy, so that we both would be protected.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

  9. #9
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    I am expecting them to actually, with all that is going on. They have tried already, Social Services that is. Housing are useless as ever. I think they may say I should not be in a two bedroom, if a time comes when I do end up living here alone. I am not opposed to moving, but I will not just move to some place they want to put me, that is not of my choice, & does not meet my needs. The Housing here have no idea, they assume they know, but do not ever take into account a person's needs & abilities, or lack thereof.

    There are, for instances, many homes that do not have direct access to the road, where there are communal paths that can run for sveral hundred feet. You know the sort. They have tried before to put us in homes in those areas, which are totally unsuitable.

    When we got this place I made sure we had a joint tenancy, so that we both would be protected.
    Hi Stephen, if you've signed up as joint tenants then no problem. There are very few truely accessible homes about so the housing association has a legal obligation to find a home to meet your needs and they have - you're in it. A second bedroom could be used for a carer should you need one in the future so don't worry you're safe.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Stepheninleeds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    874
    LT, I would like to agree, but we know the changes that are coming. Leeds City Council do not think like that. They think because a house or a flat is a house or a flat then it is suitable. They also claim that if you want a home they are available if you meet the criteria. In Leeds there can be over 1,000 applications per home available.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •