Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bedroom tax and single pensioners?

what to do with the spare room

Well I'm one of those naughty people who 'under occupies' my home. And it is my home as I've lived here twenty years!

However, I do see it as being morally wrong to have so much space unoccupied when people need somewhere they can call home.

So as I'm in a position where I could do with some spare cash and ease the housing situation I'm letting out a room to a lodger. In fact he's moving in tomorrow!

You may ask - won't this count as income and affect my benefits. Well it isn't taxable income under the governments 'rent a room' scheme where a person who owns or rents their home takes in no more that £4250 per year. It won't affect my benefits because I'm not on any other than the single person's Council Tax benefit ie 25% discount. I'll declare this after a month then my new lodger can pay the 25% discount I lose.

You may ask won't I lose my privacy - well yes as it'll be shared access to the kitchen, bathroom and dining areas. But don't worry the extra cash means I can go out more - everyone wins.

I'm not sure if an RSL will allow 'sub-letting' an extra room and how that affects your benefits but at least it's one solution that helps both the home owner and people wanting to move quickly.

I used a website to advertise my room to let but also found people looking for rooms in my area. I had six enquiries and the first person to view it and me took it. I did say I was disabled in the ad and if that's a problem don't get in touch.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Well I'm one of those naughty people who 'under occupies' my home. And it is my home as I've lived here twenty years!
    Nothing naughty about it, you've made a home and you entered that home with full understanding and agreement of the landlord and government of the day. Enjoy your home and I hope all goes well with your new house mate.

I agree with Jen.

LT, I need more info. People have advised me to take in someone who can help, if my mother passes on. Someone to help me, who can live here, & get reduced board for it. I have said I could not do this as it would affect my HB,. CTB, IS, etc. I do not see how you can do what you are, even after what you have said. Reason being that any money you get is classed as income.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    I agree with Jen.

LT, I need more info. People have advised me to take in someone who can help, if my mother passes on. Someone to help me, who can live here, & get reduced board for it. I have said I could not do this as it would affect my HB,. CTB, IS, etc. I do not see how you can do what you are, even after what you have said. Reason being that any money you get is classed as income.
    Engaging a lodger isn't like engaging a carer. A lodger basically gives you extra tax free cash. There are no rules that say he must help me. However, I'll probably find that he will offer to do things I can't like replace failed ceiling light bulbs. Carry trash outside - it's not because he has to but because it's just being helpful.

I've spoken to four people who he gave as references and it seems he's not a mass murderer - just someone who has recently moved to this area having got a job and needs somewhere to stay local to town. I give him a roof he gives me rental - it's not rocket science. I'm not territorial and I'm pretty laid back so I find it interesting.

He doesn't pay reduced rent - he's paying top whack for the privilege! Don't forget private landlords want to cram as many tenants into one house to maximise rental - I don't want that. It's two sharing one home as a business arrangement - the fewer the people sharing the more they pay for the 'exclusivity'.

As I said I'm not entitled to any benefits as I have a small private pension and savings. I'm not even registered with Jobcentreplus - I'm a shadow - a non-statistic and it's legal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...11-rent-a-room
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 02-28-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Ah, that is why then, yes. I cannot do it at all, which is a shame.

It is assumed I would charge room & board, so that effects my benefits.

Yes, I am not the sort who would not fully check either, as you never know who you can get.

There are a lot of people who do not exist, they use this to prove their figures are good.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I live alone in a 2 bedroom bungalow, I had to move here from a house due to several medical problems that made it too dangerous to live in a house...social services and my GP sorted it out with the council and after 2 assessments I was put on the urgent needs list....I have the second bedroom for when someone needs to stay to look after me, would I have to pay the tax?..it would be a real struggle to pay it but I cant realy move away from my family..

Quote Originally Posted by foxie View Post
    I live alone in a 2 bedroom bungalow, I had to move here from a house due to several medical problems that made it too dangerous to live in a house...social services and my GP sorted it out with the council and after 2 assessments I was put on the urgent needs list....I have the second bedroom for when someone needs to stay to look after me, would I have to pay the tax?..it would be a real struggle to pay it but I cant realy move away from my family..
    if a disabled person has a two bedroom home and the second room is reserved for a carer then providing the disabled person is in receipt of DLA or eventually PIP they will be exempt from paying extra or having to move to a smaller home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    if a disabled person has a two bedroom home and the second room is reserved for a carer then providing the disabled person is in receipt of DLA or eventually PIP they will be exempt from paying extra or having to move to a smaller home.
    Thanks for the reply Light touch, at the moment I am the middle rate of DLA for care, who knows what will happen after the new PIP comes into force (