Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which new automatic SUV/4x4?

Which new automatic SUV/4x4?

As I am shortly due to change vehicles on the Motability Scheme, I am looking into getting an automatic SUV. As I do clock up the miles travelling to/from/at work a diesel is preferable as is 4WD/AWD as we live remotely.

These SUV’s do seem to be the ‘in choice’ at the moment and there is such a lot of them I was wondering what the general consensus here is.

Over on another disabled driving website, the members are raving about the Volvo XC60 and the BMW X1. However there is also the Audi Q3, Hyundai Tucson, New Kia Sportage, Nissan Qashqai, Ford Kuga, Honda CRV et al.

I will pass on the SsangYong’s though – a drive in one was enough to make me feel sea sick the thing rolled that much, and as for grip, even Teflon would stick better!. I am also not particularly keen on the Jeep Renegade or Suzuki Vitara either.

The Subaru Forester looks okay in pictures but it is a 75 mile trip to the nearest dealer to get a closer look and it is only available with a petrol engine. The smaller VX could be of interest though.

Yes, I could just follow the crowd from the other disabled motoring site and go down the XC60 or X1 route, but I would like something a bit different.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    PaulG

You could consider the new Tiguan when it comes on Motability. It's had good reviews so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    You could consider the new Tiguan when it comes on Motability. It's had good reviews so far.
    Thanks CT, that is one to think about. Do you know when it is due to be on sale yet?

PaulG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Thanks CT, that is one to think about. Do you know when it is due to be on sale yet?

PaulG
    Its on sale now but probably won't be on Motability till next month. It looks good. Hopefully they will have a good range of engines on the list for Tiguan.

Its on sale now but probably won't be on Motability till next month. It looks good. Hopefully they will have a good range of engines on the list for Tiguan.
    probably only have the 150ps versions and not say an R Line model on the scheme and hefty deposits too I bet the for dsg around the 2k - 3k mark.

The old model was nice though for me the boot was too high and small hopefully the new one has improved things and with start stop (got it on my bmw) improved economy does make a heck of a difference.

We have a Nissan qashqai cvt and love it.
    1.2 but plenty of punch and we are getting roughly 35mpg in the petrol version as we mainly do short trips. The diesel version has mpg around 60.
    Book in for a few test drives with different manufacturers and see which one you think is best for you and your circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by rob250881 View Post
    We have a Nissan qashqai cvt and love it.
    1.2 but plenty of punch and we are getting roughly 35mpg in the petrol version as we mainly do short trips. The diesel version has mpg around 60.
    Book in for a few test drives with different manufacturers and see which one you think is best for you and your circumstances.
    Thanks,

It is a shame that Motability/Nissan do not do the QashQai or X-Trail in 4WD with an automatic gearbox. There is only one model of the Nissan Juke which is auto and 4wd but that is too small.

I have been trying to get hold of automatic SUV's at dealers for test drives but they are rather thin on the ground. If I can get a couple of days off work later this week I may bob over to the 'One Big Day' thingy in Manchester and see what auto 4WD SUV's are available there.

Thanks again.

PaulG

Thanks CT.

I have just had a look to see if VW were taking one along to the Motability event in Manchester later this week but sadly not. I will pop into the local VW dealership and see if they have an auto Tiguan available for a test drive.

Thanks
    PaulG

Have a good look at the Kuga, compared to the Qashqai I had it was night and day!, more room, more comfortable and a better ride all round

And of course there's the new Ford Edge , slightly larger version of the Kuga which will hopefully be on the Motability scheme soon
    Last edited by phaedra; 05-11-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Perhaps consider hiring a car for 24 hours tofully assess their atributes.