Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recorded PIP assessor on home visit

Recorded PIP assessor on home visit

Hi, my brother had a PIP assessment at home, he has had a stroke and is virtually housebound and has no short term memory, the PIP assessor asked him EIGHT times who does his shopping, (his son and my sister do his shopping) by the eighth time he was getting upset and when she said (for the eighth time) "do you go shopping with your sister" he said yes my sister takes me to aldi. This is totally wrong, my sister does not take him shopping (nor does she go to aldi). At this point I intervened and said what he had said was totally wrong and that she was badgering him.

As I had previously been warned as to the integrity of some of the assessors I secretly recorded the assessment, so I have evidence of what was said.

Today his PIP award landed, 0 points, and typed in were the words "goes shopping and walks round supermarket".

My question is what do I do now please?

Thank you.

welcome to the wonderful world of PIP assessments.

basically you issue a request for a review and when that does nothing you go to court and the tribunal will be fair.

mine took 18 months from application for pip until acceptance by DWP which I received yesterday. the arrears will be great once they come !!! mine will be £10,000 !

btw, I'm not sure of taping an assessment without telling the assessor. hopefully someone else will know the legality situation.

Apparently taping someone without their knowledge is legal as I queried it in another post a few weeks ago. Good luck getting it all sorted X

Thank you dvdgremlin and anewbeginning, I have been told to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, and it's a relief to know taping them is legal, will keep you all updated as and when we have some news.

I think recording the audio is legal, but not their face without permission. Just because it is legal, does not mean DWP will allow you to use it as evidence; they have their own regulations about recordings being made. I would personally keep the existence itself a secret but use the recording to produce a detailed account of the entire F2F. This gives credibility to your version without disclosing that you have breached their rules. I had an awful F2F at an atos office and will never again go unaccompanied. I will also do everything I can to get the recording equipment that is deemed acceptable as they cannot be trusted to take down fact. Best of luck with your MR/appeal.

Below is a copy of an email response I received from ATOS.

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

As long as the two cassette recorders can produce the two copies at the same time then this would be acceptable.

Just to make you aware that sufficient notice must be given to support audio recording and if a request is submitted within 3 days of the assessment then it will need to be reviewed if it can be accommodated, otherwise an alternative appointment will have to be scheduled if this is the first request to change the appointment time.

I can see the guidelines were emailed to you previously.

Kind Regards
    Bex
    PIP Customer Service
    Atos Healthcare"

It need not be ludicrously expensive to record them, if they refuse to allow you to record an assessment even with 3 days notice as requested, you could probably argue in court that they obviously have something to hide if they're unwilling to allow it, as realistically there is no reason for it, especially if the claimant can produce his own recording equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Anewbeginning View Post
    Apparently taping someone without their knowledge is legal as I queried it in another post a few weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    it's a relief to know taping them is legal,
    Whilst in general it may be legal to audio record someone without their knowledge- if you try to use the recording, or a transcript of it, without their permission then you are in a legal minefield.

Regarding the recording of PIP assessments the rules are quite clear.
    • You have to inform them beforehand.
    • You have to make 2 identical recordings, one for you one for them.
    • Recordings must be on audio tape or CD. Digital recordings, MP3 etc., are not acceptable.
    • Video recording is not allowed.
    • If you are caught covertly recording the assessment, or if the assessor suspects that you are, then the assessment will be terminated and your claim returned to the DWP noting that you failed to comply with the requirements of the assessment.
      (The DWP will probably then refuse your claim because of your non-complience).

If you now admit that you covertly recorded this assessment then they could declare the assessment invalid and you may have to face another one.
    At the worst they could declare the whole claim invalid because you did not follow the rules.

Whether or not these rules are morally right is open to debate, but the fact is that you broke the rules as they stand.
    Best not to mention it, or to quote anything verbatim from it.
    If you want to refer to something from it then maybe say something like "My notes made directly after the assessment say....."
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Thank you all so much for your help, I think rather than telling them the assessment was audially (not sure if that's the right word or spelling) recorded, I will say "the notes I took during the assessment".

Thank you once again. X

It may be a good idea to go through and hand write / have someone type up your notes for use at tribunal (make sure they sign that they have done it, not you, DWP may stop at nothing to reduce payments.)

Surely if your recording is so far from the report and your application etc then newspapers would be interested. Or what about your mp involved. They need to see things like this. I would not hesitate if it were mine and blatant lies were written. There must be some laws to protect claimants?