Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adblue for diesel cars

Adblue for diesel cars

For those who have diesel cars that uses adblue for cleaning the DPF what do you do when you run out of adblue? Book it into a dealer for a refil? Is it free of charge?

Just the idea of taking time off to visit a garage for a refill of adblue puts me off.

I know you can buy your own adblue and refill it yourself, is this allowed?

If you can afford the expense and are car savvy and it's easier for you then you can do it, taking it to dealers won't cost you if it's a motability car or they can come do it for you at your house if it's a decent dealership

I see Adblue bottles at my garage. I have a diesel at the moment, but it doesn't require Adblue. If I want another VW diesel then I would have to get Adblue.

Our new Zafira has a special Adblue filler next to the diesel one. You can buy it from garages, maybe Tesco and Amazon. We were told we probably wouldn't need to add any because we don't do a great deal of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    For those who have diesel cars that uses adblue for cleaning the DPF what do you do when you run out of adblue? Book it into a dealer for a refil? Is it free of charge?

Just the idea of taking time off to visit a garage for a refill of adblue puts me off.

I know you can buy your own adblue and refill it yourself, is this allowed?
    I think also you can ask for it to be topped up when its due for its service too if motability are givin it free I certainly wouldnt pay for it yourself id just wait till the warning light etc comes on then get it to the dealership problem sorted.

Thankfully my new bmw x3 (not on motability) doesnt need any on its models yet shame you can just pee in the tank when your cut short its all its made of anyway lol

If it runs out the engine will de rate it's self, so will be less powerful when accelerating ect, (gutless) If like Euro 5-6 lorries and buses
    Thanks to the EU and their directives , and the adblue stinks you don't want that on your clothes
    A motor factors would be a cheaper place to buy it from if they do it in small quantities

For the record - AdBlue is not used to clean the DPF. It is injected into the exhaust to reduce the NoX emissions.

I had a hire car last year whilst my motability car was in for some repairs, & it was running low on a 2,500 miles trip over in Europe, so I filled it up myself. 10 litres for £15 & a few minutes to fill once I'd found where the adblue tank was from the web (the container came with a filling spout). Better than having the engine de rating whilst driving through The Alps.

Often not best idea to use these products.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    Often not best idea to use these products.
    If the car that you choose requires AdBlue, then you have to use it. The next generation of petrol engines will need it as well.