Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I go abroad to an non EU County while on ESA?

Can I go abroad to an non EU County while on ESA?

Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help. I want to go away for a couple of weeks to Albania which is not in the EU. I am aware that I can go abroad while on Contribution based ESA and still receive my benefits but what if the country is outside the EU, being Albania? does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by lastfirst View Post
    Hello everyone,

Hope someone can help. I want to go away for a couple of weeks to Albania which is not in the EU. I am aware that I can go abroad while on Contribution based ESA and still receive my benefits but what if the country is outside the EU, being Albania? does that matter?
    You can be paid ESA for up to four weeks while on holiday abroad in any country if you return to the UK within 52 weeks. You must tell the ESA section before you go as there is a form to fill in re your absence abroad.

You can be paid ESA for up to four weeks while on holiday abroad in any country if you return to the UK within 52 weeks. You must tell the ESA section before you go as there is a form to fill in re your absence abroad
    Thanks for your help. So it wont mean I lose my benefits?
    What is this form called do you know?

Thanks for your help. So it wont mean I lose my benefits?
    What is this form called do you know?
    I don't know the name of the form, make sure you tell ESA of going abroad and I expect they will send it.

I am a bit worried as I called them and said I might be going to France for one day do you need to know? And I spoke to someone in ESA, after waiting for a call back and he said they don't need to know that, only if I was going to be more than 4 weeks.

I also have another question if you don't mind. In the future I may have to move abroad to a Non EU country, if this happens will I still be entitled to my Benefits?

I am a bit worried as I called them and said I might be going to France for one day do you need to know? And I spoke to someone in ESA, after waiting for a call back and he said they don't need to know that, only if I was going to be more than 4 weeks.

I also have another question if you don't mind. In the future I may have to move abroad to a Non EU country, if this happens will I still be entitled to my Benefits?
    Moving permanently is treated differently to going abroad on holiday. ESA and any income based benefits would stop immediately. DLA can be paid for longer but probably not if you notify that you are moving permanently. But rules on DLA do differ according to the country and some other circumstances - such as whether travel is essential for medical treatment. The UK.gov website does have some general guidance.

You can be paid ESA for up to four weeks while on holiday abroad in any country if you return to the UK within 52 weeks. You must tell the ESA section before you go as there is a form to fill in re your absence abroad.
    Ohh so it can be any country in the world?, it doesnt have to be a country in the EU?

Ohh so it can be any country in the world?, it doesnt have to be a country in the EU?
    Yes that's right. For short holidays like that it's the length of time - not the destination. But I would strongly advise you to notify the DWP and try to insist that they send you something in writing to acknowledge - even if they won't send you a form. At the very least ask who you are talking to when you phone them and keep a note.

The DWP site has info about going abroad, which countries the UK have an agreement with, how long you can recieve benefit outside those countries (usually 26 weeks),special circumstances like going for specific treatment, what benefits are exportable.
    Regarding Albania, I don't think you will be able to get benefits long term and you will be subject to the same terms that apply here as in the 365 day rule, providing medical evidence etc etc.
    On IB it was a lot simpler, ESA it is not.

I dont suppose you have a link anywhere to that information? Would really be helpful. Thanks!!