Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: £40 Fine at Tesco for missuse of Disabled Parking

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kodiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Posts
    425

    £40 Fine at Tesco for missuse of Disabled Parking

    Tesco stores slap shoppers with £40 fine for misuse of parking bays in nationwide clampdown

    Tesco shoppers are set to be hit with fines for misusing parking bays as a new scheme is rolled out.
    Customers will now face a £40 charge if they park in disabled bays without the proper badge.

    About time too

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...oppers-9027973
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Tesco stores slap shoppers with £40 fine for misuse of parking bays in nationwide clampdown

    Tesco shoppers are set to be hit with fines for misusing parking bays as a new scheme is rolled out.
    Customers will now face a £40 charge if they park in disabled bays without the proper badge.

    About time too

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...oppers-9027973
    I used to complain to Tesco about misuse and was told they did nothing as they receive abuse. This is fine news.

  3. #3
    New Member bluebedouin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northampton UK
    Posts
    17
    I wonder whether they'll enforce this when police abuse them.Just a quick google brings up a number of instances.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    246
    In my local Tesco, it is taxi drivers - their unofficial pickup point is the disabled parking area, and they park across the front of the parked cars. They won't move to let you out, either, until their fare arrives.

  5. #5
    Senior Member catlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    676
    I'm not sure whether they can legally enforce this? Blue badges are issued for on street parking only and not all people who benefit from a disabled parking bay (eg those needing a wider space to get in and out of their car but whose walking difficulties do not meet criteria for blue badge or those with temporary conditions) will have a blue badge.

  6. #6
    New Member bluebedouin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Northampton UK
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    I'm not sure whether they can legally enforce this?
    They can if they decide to take you to court,it will be a civil case.Somewhere in the car park they'll state the terms of parking & that by entering & parking on their premises you agree to these terms.
    This was the main contention with "fines" on private car parks.They threatened you with court & most people then paid up.The companies didn't follow through with court proceedings for that reason but as more people became aware of this & didn't pay I believe they then started to take motorists to court.

    ....not all people who benefit from a disabled parking bay.... will have a blue badge.
    Maybe so but the bays are for blue badge holders.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    They can if they decide to take you to court,it will be a civil case.Somewhere in the car park they'll state the terms of parking & that by entering & parking on their premises you agree to these terms.
    This was the main contention with "fines" on private car parks.They threatened you with court & most people then paid up.The companies didn't follow through with court proceedings for that reason but as more people became aware of this & didn't pay I believe they then started to take motorists to court.


    Maybe so but the bays are for blue badge holders.
    If no having blue badge is wrong to park and deprive real user.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,438
    My Tesco Extra doesn't own the car park. There have been signs up for years warning people about fines and prosecution if the vehicle is left there over night. Driver's generally use accessible bays to park in for 10 minutes as they are near the ATM Machine. But it's annoying to find all accessible bays are taken - you're forced to park further away from the entrance and then discover the bays are free again when entering the store - grrrrr

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kodiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    My Tesco Extra doesn't own the car park. There have been signs up for years warning people about fines and prosecution if the vehicle is left there over night. Driver's generally use accessible bays to park in for 10 minutes as they are near the ATM Machine. But it's annoying to find all accessible bays are taken - you're forced to park further away from the entrance and then discover the bays are free again when entering the store - grrrrr
    I know exactly how you feel. This what I did several months ago.

    I drove into Tesco Car-park and all of the accessible Parking Bays were full. My wife was with me and while I had stopped to ponder on the best thing to do she exited the car. She walked up and down the park cars then came back to me. She said that the first 3 of the cars had no Blue Badge at all, and one car had a Badge that was out of date. The 3 cars that had NO badges were closest to the Main Entrance.

    A thought came to me and I reversed my car right up behind the first two so I was across the back of them. I clambered out and asked my wife to get one of the Tesco Scooters for me. She came back with one shortly and leaving the car where it was we went into Tesco to do our shopping.

    About 15 minutes later there was an announcement over the PA System, Would the customer who had a Renault Car with the registration number ** ** ** please come to the customer services Desk. On arrival there were three young lads, about 19 to 22 years of age, at the desk who were looking very agitated.

    I spoke to the Lady behind the desk and said that I was responding to a PA call about my car and was the problem. Before she could answer one of the young lads started to yell and shout at me and demanded that I move my car as I was blocking him in, using lots of 4 letter expletives.

    I just smiled at him and said nothing letting him rave on. That is until he said the words, "If you don't move your car I'll call the police" I spun the scooter around and I spoke to the Customer Services Lady, "Perhaps you should do as he says and Phone the police as I am sure that will be happy to come on out to give this person a Ticket for parking in a accessible bay with no Valid Blue Badge. Also since it is a Bay painted in yellow paint it an illegal to park there without a Blue Badge the fine could be up to £1000.

    I turned back to the person and asked him if he still wanted to call the police. For some reason he had gone a bit pale and just mumbled something about that he was in no hurry and grabbing the other two by their arms he walked into the Coffee Shop. I smiled sweetly at the young lady behind the desk and said Anything else? she just shook her her saying no.

    I continued on with my shopping and by the time I got back to my car there were five uncomfortable looking people who would not even look me in the eye. My wife loaded the car and we drove off slowly.

    After that my wife never spoke to me for the rest of the day but it was worth it.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

  10. #10
    Senior Member gus607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. This what I did several months ago.

    I drove into Tesco Car-park and all of the accessible Parking Bays were full. My wife was with me and while I had stopped to ponder on the best thing to do she exited the car. She walked up and down the park cars then came back to me. She said that the first 3 of the cars had no Blue Badge at all, and one car had a Badge that was out of date. The 3 cars that had NO badges were closest to the Main Entrance.

    A thought came to me and I reversed my car right up behind the first two so I was across the back of them. I clambered out and asked my wife to get one of the Tesco Scooters for me. She came back with one shortly and leaving the car where it was we went into Tesco to do our shopping.

    About 15 minutes later there was an announcement over the PA System, Would the customer who had a Renault Car with the registration number ** ** ** please come to the customer services Desk. On arrival there were three young lads, about 19 to 22 years of age, at the desk who were looking very agitated.

    I spoke to the Lady behind the desk and said that I was responding to a PA call about my car and was the problem. Before she could answer one of the young lads started to yell and shout at me and demanded that I move my car as I was blocking him in, using lots of 4 letter expletives.

    I just smiled at him and said nothing letting him rave on. That is until he said the words, "If you don't move your car I'll call the police" I spun the scooter around and I spoke to the Customer Services Lady, "Perhaps you should do as he says and Phone the police as I am sure that will be happy to come on out to give this person a Ticket for parking in a accessible bay with no Valid Blue Badge. Also since it is a Bay painted in yellow paint it an illegal to park there without a Blue Badge the fine could be up to £1000.

    I turned back to the person and asked him if he still wanted to call the police. For some reason he had gone a bit pale and just mumbled something about that he was in no hurry and grabbing the other two by their arms he walked into the Coffee Shop. I smiled sweetly at the young lady behind the desk and said Anything else? she just shook her her saying no.

    I continued on with my shopping and by the time I got back to my car there were five uncomfortable looking people who would not even look me in the eye. My wife loaded the car and we drove off slowly.

    After that my wife never spoke to me for the rest of the day but it was worth it.
    This really is not the best way to show your disapproval of some ignorant person's parking.
    The world is full of a lot of nutters & some who a lot carry knives too. This is asking for trouble, do you think a good hiding or god forbid a stabbing is clever ?

    Your wife was right to not to speak to you for the rest of the day, she could have ended up not being able to speak to you again.
    In future I would bite my tongue & just carry on, life is too short.

Similar Threads

  1. Disabled parking
    By jon12 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 02:30 PM
  2. Disabled parking
    By wiganred in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM
  3. What % of disabled parking is BB only?
    By wobble1 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •