Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP Recording

PIP Recording

I sent for Two cassette recorders to record my assessment on Thursday. One works the doesnt so will need to return it and I wont get a replacement on time. Can anyone tell me if both devices have to produce tapes or cds or can I use one of the recorders for Atos and a dictaphone for me?

Interesting question;

As far as I know the recordings have to be on the same media, and a digital recording is not allowed in any circumstances.

And always remember you do not have a right to record a PIP assessment, it is only allowed with their permission and so you have to follow their rules.
    (I know there are legal arguments about this, but we have to work with how things stand currently).

So:
    No digital recording at all.
    2 CDs or 2 tapes. (Not one of each).

But do the tapes have to be the same?
    ie. could you use one C60 cassette and one C30?
    Could you use a C60 and a small dictaphone tape?
    Could you use a CD and a DVD?

To be on the safe side I would use exactly the same media, whichever you use.

I believe that you are OK using different (makes/models of) machines though, as long as the tapes or CDs used are the same.

Could you borrow or hire another machine?
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Thanks Nukecad. One is not too bad the other a bit crackly. Maybe I should mark the crackly one for myself and just use them as wont be able to get out before assessment. I read that tapes don't get passed to DWP so cant be used for MR or Appeal ? Not sure why. Also strange how for ESA they record but not PIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs25 View Post
    I sent for Two cassette recorders to record my assessment on Thursday. One works the doesnt so will need to return it and I wont get a replacement on time. Can anyone tell me if both devices have to produce tapes or cds or can I use one of the recorders for Atos and a dictaphone for me?
    If you're anywhere near Northampton,I have two you could borrow.

Thanks for the offer. I am in Glasgow..I seriously think they make it hard for you to find the equipment and then put restrictions on what you can use them for. What do they have to hide? I just want to record so that when I read the report and if its not accurate I know it wasn't all in my head. Ive had years of someone playing mind games with my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs25 View Post
    Thanks Nukecad. One is not too bad the other a bit crackly. Maybe I should mark the crackly one for myself and just use them as wont be able to get out before assessment. I read that tapes don't get passed to DWP so cant be used for MR or Appeal ? Not sure why. Also strange how for ESA they record but not PIP.
    I would do that then, but keep the good one for yourself.

Remember to stick a label on each tape with a "Recording of PIP assessment of (your name)" and the place, date and time of recording.
    Try and get a signature that you have given them the copy and they have accepted it.
    (All probably never needed, but if your doing it you may as well do it properly).

They will ask you to sign a form that tries to restrict how you can use your copy.

It's mainly for your own use as you say.
    But if you were to want to submit your recording as evidence to the tribunal (and you could do no matter what the DWP try to tell you) it could only be accepted as evidence if you had supplied them with a 'true copy' at the time of recording.

Not your problem if their copy is crackly, you couldn't reasonably have been expected to sit there and check it at the time.
    You could always argue that they hadn't stored it correctly. (Maybe stored near something magnetic?).

Thanks again for that Nukecad. I thought maybe also taking my dictaphone which picks up really well in my pocket just so that I could decipher it if bad. My daughter in law who works for TV is coming with me. She said maybe she should keep her ID on and really make them wonder but I fear they might not want to go ahead.

If they find you making a covert recording (or just suspect that you are) they can stop the assessment and say you 'failed to comply'.

Maybe your daughter should have the dictaphone in her pocket.
    That way you are not making a covert recording, she is.

OK, they could ask her to leave.
    But you could deny knowing she was covertly recording, especially as you do have permission to openly record.

Well after being unwell yesterday I managed to get to my f2f. I was asked at the desk if I still wanted to record the assessment and when i said yes they asked to see the equipment. Then when approved I was given the form to sign. The assessor came out for me ten minutes late but seemed pleasant enough compared to the woman I daw twice previously. She said it was the first time being recorded so would explain the process for the tape. Which the previous assessor never had. She allowed my daughter in law to speak and answer some questions when I was overwhelmed and couldnt answer. She also accepted a 9 page list of meds I have to avoid with Long Qt. My DIL asked her if she knew about the condition and she said no. She then asked me how I coped with heart condition, chronic migraine, Asthma, anxiety and depression. I said I didn't because I couldn't be medicated. She took copies of my neurologists letter stating his hands were tied and he could not help me. And appointments for psychiatrist and cpn saying they will do home visits. So I suppose I just have to wait and see if she was as nice as we thought.

You seem to have had a good experience at your aassessment, which is great to hear.

I hope everything turns out as you need.