Thread: garden advice from The Potting Shed

Hybrid View

garden advice from The Potting Shed

Morning all.

Today I thought I would do a brief post about the handy things I have and share some ideas on how to keep on enjoying your garden if you have a disability, back problem or any health issue really

Firstly my newly raised cold frame. My lovely husband, James put my cold frame up on large shelf brackets. My first idea for this was actually to reduce the risk of frost damage to my tender seedlings, but once it was up and I went to put everything back in I was amazed at how much easier it was! No bending right to the floor and having to drop the tray that last few inches Not a good idea as this has potential to damage my lovingly sown seeds. No more struggling to straighten up again. Wonderful. I can highly recommend making your cold frame higher, its a life saver, not only for your back but for your plants

I have also recently invested in a potting table. Which has a handy hole in the front so you can sweep away the left over compost into a bucket underneath, no waste. It is the perfect height to pot things on whilst sitting down, singing away to the radio. Absolute 80's radio for me. Again this reduces back and hip ache no end. Everything is to hand with no awkward twisting or bending. I could pot on here all day and that's saying something as I find it really hard to get comfortable and have to forever shift about. Being here sitting on my beautiful pink office chair is just about one of the best places to be. The chair is soft and comfy and can be adjusted to the perfect height, I can spin around if I need something behind me and wheel it away when I am finished. Brilliant. A simple yet perfect solution.

I hope you found this interesting. I am off to take more photos of all my useful tools and will be back.

Love from The Potting Shed

Nx

Now that sounds like gardening I would like, if I still had one, lol. We paved over ours as we could not keep the weeds down.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

you can still have pots you know. In your other post you mention things may get stolen, would you be able to screw them down? Before you fill them with compost just drill into the ground, slab, concrete and heypresto nick proof pot I grow all kinds in my pots, flowers veg,herbs I also have wall planters, again, screwed to the wall, so cannot be stolen easily. Worth thinking about?

Niki

I have drills, power drill & I cannot even drill into soft wood, lol. Truth is, I have so much trouble not doing this in the house, lol, let alone finding time for a garden.

I would love to, I miss gardening a lot.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Shame Stephen, being out in the garden is uplifting, in the sunshine If I could help you in anyway I would

Nx

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijrp View Post
    Shame Stephen, being out in the garden is uplifting, in the sunshine If I could help you in anyway I would

Nx
    You are right And since I live in the same city as Stephen I probably can help. I just spent several hours at the Harrogate Flower Show earlier. I was worried how I'd cope but the venue and event is very well set up for people with disabilities and we had a lovely time.

It would be great if you could help I wanted to go to Harrogate but didn't make it this year, good to know that it is set up well and it was a good day for you If you are into cars than the Goodwood Festival of speed is really well set up for disabled peeps too. Raised viewng areas and priority viewing of the track, well worth the journey

Stephen,

I walk to work through what some might call a "rough" council estate. I see many gardens based around pots on top of gravel or slabs, and I have yet to see any stolen/moved/knocked over. You clearly miss gardening, so why not try planting some flowers out in pots?

Stephen, are you able to show us any photos of what space you have in your garden/yard? I have masses of plants and could easily put together something for you that wouldn't require any maintenance that you could perhaps see/enjoy from a window.