Thread: New Motability Price Limits

New Motability Price Limits

I have heard from a couple of dealers that Motability are introducing new price limits from January 1st. Apparently the maximum OTR for a manual will be £28,000 and an auto £30,000.

Looking at current prices this will have quite a big impact on higher spec cars from a wide range of manufacturers not just the prestige brands who this is probably intended to hit.

so my recommendation is get your application in now if you can. if you search the web you can see a few manufacturers are advising that certain models wont be available in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Damsonjam View Post
    I have heard from a couple of dealers that Motability are introducing new price limits from January 1st. Apparently the maximum OTR for a manual will be £28,000 and an auto £30,000.

Looking at current prices this will have quite a big impact on higher spec cars from a wide range of manufacturers not just the prestige brands who this is probably intended to hit.

so my recommendation is get your application in now if you can. if you search the web you can see a few manufacturers are advising that certain models wont be available in the new year.
    Hi

Well a price limit has been in force officially for some time hasnt it since the stupid daily mail articles etc? then the dealers just add on more expensive vehicles anyway. So is this now going to be more strickly enforced?
    Most of the 30k ones mention are probably 3k deposits or there abouts so lets see what happens next yr. I wont be bothering with the scheme for the forceable future now anyways.

We picked up a Hyundai Santa Fe in November and the dealer told us that they had already been informed that the Santa Fe would not be on the scheme next quarter. But as the list price of the manual Santa Fe in the spec that we have is just over £31k, I'm surprised that it was ever available at all. I think Motability must have had a very good deal on them for a limited period.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Hi

Well a price limit has been in force officially for some time hasnt it since the stupid daily mail articles etc? then the dealers just add on more expensive vehicles anyway. So is this now going to be more strickly enforced?
    Most of the 30k ones mention are probably 3k deposits or there abouts so lets see what happens next yr. I wont be bothering with the scheme for the forceable future now anyways.
    My understanding is that the previous price cap for manual cars of £25k was quietly dropped earlier this year. Hence why cars like the Merc C class have been available. Now the rules seem to be tightening up again. Its pretty likely as a result that the choice of premium cars will be restricted as a result so get your application in now if the car you are looking at has a price of more than £28k for a manual or £30k for an auto.

Spoke to Motability about this the other day and they told me it was the MRRP not the OTR price and capped at 28000 for manuals and 29500 for autos, and that most of the big cars were coming off like the XC60 and X1s.

I suppose the 3000 deposit will now be on the smaller cars? Will make it a bit more difficult for those who need higher cars for getting in and out with a good door opening!

Mags

I wonder if they take into account the buyers prices as opposed to book prices. My current car has a book price of £23,000 but if you shop around and in particular go to the internet dealers this price can be slashed as much as £4,000.

So if I was personally buying the car it would be nearer to £19,000 than £23,000 but then again I imagine Motability must have a large discount of some sorts because I can’t imagine they would be paying the book price with all the cars they buy.

As you say Chris K, Motability achieve significant discounts - I've seen a figure which says that a car through Motability is 44% cheaper than you could get elsewhere. I think the reason they use the MRRP / OTR (OTR and MRRP are effectively the same for Motability customers as no road fund licence is payable by motability) is because every manufacturer has to publish a recommended retail price which makes comparison easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Damsonjam View Post
    As you say Chris K, Motability achieve significant discounts - I've seen a figure which says that a car through Motability is 44% cheaper than you could get elsewhere. I think the reason they use the MRRP / OTR (OTR and MRRP are effectively the same for Motability customers as no road fund licence is payable by motability) is because every manufacturer has to publish a recommended retail price which makes comparison easy.
    The discounts can be high but on some cars are around 10-20%.Motabilty's charity status enables some VAT relief. Many of the cars referred to earlier in the thread are no longer available and the choice is ever diminishing as are the numbers on the scheme. January's price lits will be a good indicator of what to expect going forward.