Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearing state pension age

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nearing state pension age

My wife is in receipt of ESA in the support group. She has suffered for over 30 years with mental health problems. As her full time carer I recently completed her renewal claim (3 year review). I had a call from the DWP saying my wife will be invited to a work place assessment some time in January but as they had some cancellations would I take her next week. I said I couldn't understand as 3 years ago no assessment was necessary. I was told things have changed now!!!. I said my wife was not to good at the moment but I would bring her if I could have a car park space at the assessment centre, he basically said no but to wait until an appointment letter came out in January. I then asked if all this was necessary as my wife starts to receive her state pension on 06/03/2017 and the ESA would automatically stop.

To me it's absolutely ridiculous and a total waste of taxpayers money to go through all the assessment process when the benefit will cease automatically in 10 weeks!!!. Has anyone come across this situation?

The stress of this on my wife is causing her mental health to deteriorate.

Hi oldhamblues.

yes I'm going through the change as we speak.

I'm 64 and will be 65 in two weeks time, dwp sent me for assessment about 6 weeks ago(scored nil point) haha yes I can laugh as I'm also on pension credit so it doesn't make any difference to the amount that I was receiving

the lady from dwp rang me to tell me the outcome and to advise me to claim job seekers allowance.
    I said no thanks I'm on pension credit to which she seemed surprised and didn't even now I was receiving it.

Are you not eligible for pension credit ? I'm sure someone will have advice for you

Hi oldhamblues, Agree it certainly is a waste of time, money on their part and mostly, for both of you stress that is not needed. There may well be something within the regulations addressing situations, such as yours and am sure somebody with more detailed knowledge will be along to help. What I can say is:

I do not know how things have meant to have changed, but there are still people being awarded support group status without a face to face (paper assessment), that your wife had 3 years ago. However, you have been informed that on this occasion a face to face is required.

You already know that a letter is due to be received in January, which is between 2 & 6 weeks away. If the appointment scheduled in this letter is not convenient, you are able to change this appointment date, once.

Depending upon how busy the Maximus (aka Centre for Health and Disability) is, this could extend possible appointment date, but by how many weeks, nobody could tell you, it may only be days. What effect this may have on the point of your post, I couldn't say.

Meantime, both try not to stress too much as there is wealth of knowledge here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhamblues View Post
    Has anyone come across this situation?
    Hi
    You need to phone the office dealing with your OH's claim and ask to speak to a manager. You will most likely get the assessment deferred. The phone jockey you spoke to has no input regarding assessment decisions, he/she, is guided by computer generated appointments. The phone jockey only relays to you what's on their comp screen.

Come on Oldham!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your replies, very much appreciated. I will try to call the office which deals with my wife's claim on Monday to see if common sense will prevail, but I'm not confident at all.

Tanya, I phoned the number on the letter my wife had and it was a DWP helpline. That being said the guy I spoke to was actually very understanding. He looked at my wife's records and said that an appointment was showing on their for January 13th at 10.20am. He totally accepted that with the amount of medication my wife takes (in excess of 50 tablets a day) with some very powerful psychotic medication in the morning the time was unacceptable. He said he would immediately send an email to the office who handle my wife's claim to cancel this appointment. He would also point out that as she is due to commence her state pension 06/03/2017 is a face to face actually necessary. He said I should receive a call on Monday from the appropriate office to discuss. I await the Call with baited breath but at least this guy new where I was coming from!!!!
    Last edited by oldhamblues; 12-17-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Appointment now received Friday January 13th. Spoke to DWP, Oldham who pay my wife's ESA. Despite agreeing it was a complete waste of taxpayers money and ridiculous to put the stress on my wife they said that they could not intervene. Said I should ring the assessment appointments and explain the situation and request the appointment is deferred until after 06/03/2017.

I duly called them only to be told no chance, they are doing the interview on the behest of the DWP!!!!! I said it was the DWP who told me to call!!!!!

I've had enough, my wife is in a right state and I feel crap. In January if my wife's not up to it I will phone and tell them to shove the assessment where the sun don't shine. My wife's health is more important than the few hundred quid she will loose prior to March. Merry Christmas!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhamblues View Post
    I've had enough, my wife is in a right state and I feel crap. In January if my wife's not up to it I will phone and tell them to shove the assessment where the sun don't shine. My wife's health is more important than the few hundred quid she will loose prior to March. Merry Christmas!!!!
    Hi
    The lunatics are certainly running the asylum.

As someone stated earlier you are allowed to cancel one appointment; so this might be your route to take. Your new re-arranged date will take you a bit nearer, or even past, your wife's retirement date. Might save you a few quid before you tell them to stuff it.

Please send an e-mail to your local MP. The actions of these imbeciles needs reporting.

It saddened me reading that you feel you have failed your wife.
    You are being too hard on yourself.
    You obviously do a grand job of being her carer,and don't you forget it.
    I hope you take some time out to care for yourself too

Oldhamblue, You never know! As TanyaG suggests, quite sensibly, you may well get a manager who understands and sensible (knowing DWP to be sensible can be difficult!) approach is to defer assessment until ESA finishes naturally by being replaced by state pension.

Before calling ESA claim office, it maybe an idea to call the pension office & explain the predicament to them. As they seem to be 1 of easier departments to deal with they could help you. Just trying to throw ideas your way. It may even be worth trying to contact CAB or local welfare rights.

There is still the weekend yet for other experienced members to give advice on this.