Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nearing state pension age

So today my wife gets a letter from the DWP saying they had looked at her case again following a recent change and increased her ESA by £1 per week. The letter is dated 22/12/2016.

I phoned the DWP and said in view of this letter and increase does this mean the face to face is now not required?

They said they had no record of any letter being issued and had absolutely no idea why the benefit had increased, they were clueless!!!!!! They did say that there records still showed that my wife's face to face in January was still required!!!!!!!

Unbelievably incompetent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typical DWP for you !

As others have already said just phone the assessment centre (not the DWP) on the 12th and say your wife will be too ill to attend, that should delay things while they set a new appointment date, hopefully for long enough that it no longer matters.

I would also phone the DWP, say that they must have been underpaying, and ask them to backdate the £1 increase from the start of her claim.
    You probably won't get anything, but if you do it will be a bonus.
    And as they are messing you about then it can be satisfying to get a bit of your own back on them.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Despite me trying everything I could to deflect the stress from my wife and trying to reassure her that this was not a personal attack against her, Ive sadly failed. I received a call from her Clinical Psychologist yesterday who informed me that my wife's voices (she is a paranoid schizophrenic) had surfaced with violent intentions towards the staff at the assessment centre if she goes on Friday. The Psychologist is perfectly aware that I have no intentions of taking my wife on Friday but said she has a duty of care to both my wife and others and had no alternative but to contact the assessment centre and also inform the Police. She did say that the police if anything will just call to the house and have a chat as although my wife said certain things she has never carried out ANY acts of violence in 30 years.

The Psychologist is also fuming as she has written to the assessment centre detailing my wife's sever problems asking them to reassess but of course to date absolutely no response. The assessment centre did say yesterday to the Psychologist in view of my wife's perceived threat the assessment due on Friday may be cancelled.

My wife is actually quite calm today, which is just par for the course with her illness. Me I am a wreck!!!!!!

Just received a phone call from the assessment centre. My wife no longer is required to attend on Friday and her ESA Support Group payments will continue!!!!!!

Hopefully things will calm down now and of course I'm delighted but the whole situation was so unnecessary!!!!

Sorry to hear how this has affected your wife, hope she recovers soon, and yourself too.

I know this is a bit flippant, but maybe we should all threaten to throttle the assessors.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

It saddened me reading that you feel you have failed your wife.
    You are being too hard on yourself.
    You obviously do a grand job of being her carer,and don't you forget it.
    I hope you take some time out to care for yourself too

Thank you deebee, you comments are much appreciated!!!!