Thread: Descriptors can anyone explain this a little please?

Descriptors can anyone explain this a little please?

I've gone over quite a few things regarding ''descriptors'' and I can't quite get what it fully means?

In my mind if you feel a question really fits your illness and it scores 15 points, have you met the descriptor criteria? In the Mental Health part you don't have to meet every discriptor to go in the support group? I feel I fully meet 2,but do you have to meet them all?
    See, it just confuses me.

Second question: Is this ESA50 a lot different to the old IB50? Wished I'd of kept a copy of the IB50!
    Last edited by Gatti; 04-06-2012 at 02:19 AM.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatti View Post
    I've gone over quite a few things regarding ''descriptors'' and I can't quite get what it fully means?

In my mind if you feel a question really fits your illness and it scores 15 points, have you met the descriptor criteria? In the Mental Health part you don't have to meet every discriptor to go in the support group? I feel I fully meet 2,but do you have to meet them all?
    See, it just confuses me.

Second question: Is this ESA50 a lot different to the old IB50? Wished I'd of kept a copy of the IB50!
    ESA is nothing like IB and nothing like ESA was 2 years ago.. getting 15 points does not get you in support group some people have scored 30 plus points but still not made support group

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    ESA is nothing like IB and nothing like ESA was 2 years ago.. getting 15 points does not get you in support group some people have scored 30 plus points but still not made support group
    I get so overwhelmed if I go out I always have to have someone with me, I can't even get over a road as I freeze.
    So would a descriptor cover this?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatti View Post
    I get so overwhelmed if I go out I always have to have someone with me, I can't even get over a road as I freeze.
    So would a descriptor cover this?
    i doubt it as if you had someone with you ... you would manage you would need to show that being out would do your health harm you need expert advise

the support group discriptor might do the trick

suffering from some specific disease or bodily or mental disablement and consequently there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if you were found not to have a limited capability for work-related activity

I suffer with a Psychosis which isn't a normal depression, I sometimes leave my tabs off because I'm far too fuzzy, I've left pans of tinned stew on, burnt my hand as I've forgotten the pan handle was hot. Had real blisters, all I know I couldn't do a ''normal'' day I would just freak and run off!

The question here is simpler, & do not take offence as I am in no way attacking your condition, just trying to use it to help. If you cannot function in the ways you say without support then I do not see how you can function at a job. I am not saying it is impossible, but how? I wonder if you should discuss this with your doctor, even a therapist. See if they agree with me, or can advise on your situation, especially related to benefits & working.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    The question here is simpler, & do not take offence as I am in no way attacking your condition, just trying to use it to help. If you cannot function in the ways you say without support then I do not see how you can function at a job. I am not saying it is impossible, but how? I wonder if you should discuss this with your doctor, even a therapist. See if they agree with me, or can advise on your situation, especially related to benefits & working.
    Thanks Stephen, I fully get what you are saying, I see a psychiatrist and they have put me on a new tab called Pregablin it's a tab mainly for epilepsy and nerve pain. But this drug makes me dizzy and I've had a couple of falls.
    It's just making me feel ill but if it comes to a medical they can place it where the sun don't go.

YW Gat, & glad you see it as it is so easy to misunderstand online.

What it seems to me, that part of your situation is a puzzle, like me. You mention how this drug affects you. I have conditions that on their own are manageable, but separately can cause unmanageable problems, however, add the conditions together & the problems are very difficult to manage. This is often not seen as each condition is seen as separate. I certainly how found this with doctors, DWP etc, & people in general. You take dizziness, which I have in a severe form due to an inner ear conditon, I also have balance issues due to this inner ear condition & becuase of other conditions. so normally I cannot balance, yet if I have an attack the vertigo can be so bad I can fall when laying down. Trying to explain that to professionals, & on forms, it not easy at all. Now that is just one aspect for me. For you, this inability to function properly when you go out seems serious to me, to many others they can see it as you just need to try harder. Mind you, I get told this too with balancing. How the hell can you control when you might lose your balance due to an inner ear condition, neurological conditions, partial paralysis & other conditions, lol? They make me laugh sometimes, they really do. Oh, lean up against a wall, or sit down, they love to say.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    i doubt it as if you had someone with you ... you would manage you would need to show that being out would do your health harm you need expert advise

the support group discriptor might do the trick

suffering from some specific disease or bodily or mental disablement and consequently there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person if you were found not to have a limited capability for work-related activity
    Thanks for the info
    Last edited by gbhxu; 04-08-2012 at 11:53 AM.