Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled and just found out I'm pregnant...

Disabled and just found out I'm pregnant...

Hello everyone. My first post here so please bare with me.
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm currently disabled (I have M.E and mental health issues) and my husband is my full-time carer. We receive IS (I'm the main claimant and am claiming for disability as I hadn't made enough NI contributions and I haven't been changed to ESA yet) as a couple, I receive DLA LRM and HRC and my husband receives CA.

I've just found out that I'm pregnant. The baby wasn't planned, but is wanted, if that makes sense?

I was just wondering what we may be entitled to when baby arrives? The M.E is severe and I would love to work (I find it degrading not being able to) but unfortunately I can't atm and my husband needs to be around 24/7 to care for me.

I know that we'll be entitled to child benefit. Am I right in believing that that is all? We'll manage no matter what, but I just want to get organised.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I'm really sorry if I seem like a scrounger. I'm really not. I'd do anything to be able to work and support my family.

Congratulations! There is also Child Tax Credit. I don't know how they work it out - someone might be able to advise on that, or there might be info on the www.gov.uk site. You also need to check the criteria for maternity grants which are a one off payment made nearer the time.

This is one where I would stronly say get some advice on your specific situation. There can be other options for you, such as your husband working & you having paid care at home as part of the Direct Payments Scheme, also help with care for your child. There is not that much you get for a child really, everything helps of course, the problem is I am confused right now as benefits for children & parents with children are being cut back dramatically. Other than CB & CTC, DPS if possible, I am not sure what else there is. There is the Sure Start Maternity Grant, which is a one-off grant for new babies. You should be eligible for that. Do you rent your home-can you get Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit?

Sorry, thought I said this, congratulations.
    Last edited by Stepheninleeds; 04-08-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Congtratulations

You can only get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if there are no other children under 16 years in your family new rules

the really BIG problem your going to have is whens your next ESA medical ? if ME is your main health problem not the mental health ATOS will say to DWP your body is fit enough to have a child and deliver then your fit enough for work. If your main problem is mental health you can argue having a baby makes you compleat ect ect and in the long term will help you.

that said even if dwp atos won the argument once you have a child your not expected to look for work till its 5 so you could still get benefits under that flag good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Carneucopia View Post
    Congratulations! There is also Child Tax Credit. I don't know how they work it out - someone might be able to advise on that, or there might be info on the www.gov.uk site. You also need to check the criteria for maternity grants which are a one off payment made nearer the time.
    Thank you. I'm not sure if Child Tax Credits affects IS. I'll have a look. x

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    This is one where I would stronly say get some advice on your specific situation. There can be other options for you, such as your husband working & you having paid care at home as part of the Direct Payments Scheme, also help with care for your child. There is not that much you get for a child really, everything helps of course, the problem is I am confused right now as benefits for children & parents with children are being cut back dramatically. Other than CB & CTC, DPS if possible, I am not sure what else there is. There is the Sure Start Maternity Grant, which is a one-off grant for new babies. You should be eligible for that. Do you rent your home-can you get Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit?
    Thank you for your help. I forgot to say that we do claim HB and CTB too.
    I'll look into the Sure Start Maternity Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    Congtratulations

You can only get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if there are no other children under 16 years in your family new rules

the really BIG problem your going to have is whens your next ESA medical ? if ME is your main health problem not the mental health ATOS will say to DWP your body is fit enough to have a child and deliver then your fit enough for work. If your main problem is mental health you can argue having a baby makes you compleat ect ect and in the long term will help you.

that said even if dwp atos won the argument once you have a child your not expected to look for work till its 5 so you could still get benefits under that flag good luck
    Thank you.

I'm prepared for ATOS but I don't believe that being able to carry a baby means that you are able to work. Work involves lots and lots of considerations. I'm not even sure how the M.E will react to the pregnancy, to be honest. I'm hoping that everything goes smoothly.

I thought that the 5 year old thing was for single parents? I'm not a single parent so wouldn't be able to claim benefits for looking after a child who is under 5. x

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicmidnightrose View Post
    Thank you.

I'm prepared for ATOS but I don't believe that being able to carry a baby means that you are able to work. Work involves lots and lots of considerations. I'm not even sure how the M.E will react to the pregnancy, to be honest. I'm hoping that everything goes smoothly.

I thought that the 5 year old thing was for single parents? I'm not a single parent so wouldn't be able to claim benefits for looking after a child who is under 5. x
    not sure where i got single parent from ....... depending on hours if any worked by partner there are child tax credits (work not needed) working tax credits and help with child care too ..... good luck with atos

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    not sure where i got single parent from ....... depending on hours if any worked by partner there are child tax credits (work not needed) working tax credits and help with child care too ..... good luck with atos
    My husband is very supportive and we'll manage no matter what. I put our details in to the Turn2Us calculator and it said that we could still claim IS, but I think that's only if we change my husband to the main claimant and then he could claim it on the grounds of being a carer and we could hopefully still get the premiums that I get with my DLA.

It's really a minefield!

For God's sake Dave, is this true about the grant, for first child only? What will they cut next?

Well I agree with Dave on the fit enough to work if you can have a child., I know what they can be like It is wrong though. ME is very specific at times though. Just because someone can carry & give birth does not mean they can look after that child without considerable help.

YW Goth, hope you can get it, & glad you get the other benefits.

On the ME & baby, speak to your doctors & health professionals. It is a good thing, & could have problems for you & the baby, I cannot say either way. If there are any issues with the carrying of a child at least if you know about them you can prepare, & hopefully cope. There may not be any issues, however, pregnancy can be tough at times, so preparing because of the ME will help. It is not looking on the negative side, just planning ahead & adjusting when needed.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen