Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP NEEDED - 3 Cars, 1 Choice?

HELP NEEDED - 3 Cars, 1 Choice?

Ok, I've had my choices narrowed to these 3 for months now, and I can't decide.
    What do you think?
    A bit about me... Married no kids yet, but we are planning to adopt a couple soon, so needs good boot space (similar to my Qashqai). Looking at a higher than average car to aid my disability (Ankylosing Spondylitis), ideally the car should be less than 2k AP. After driving a 1.5 Diesel Manual Qashqai for the last 3 years I need something quicker but with an auto box and good economy, I drive roughly 13k miles a year.

All are Autos

1. MINI Countryman Cooper SD All4 1499
    Nice looking, a but noisy and has a small boot, but very fast.

2. Ford CMax Titanium
    Good boot, typical family wagon, fast but a bit boring.

3. VW Touran SE
    7 Seats for family versatility but boring and slow.

If you can think of any more let me know
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 24,000 miles; avg 38.1mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I do want a car with nice specifications, my current Qashqai is a Tekna, so is fully specced.
    Dual Zone A/C
    Parking Sensors
    Auto Dimming rear view mirror

Perfect = heated seats, xenon lights
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 24,000 miles; avg 38.1mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Forget the Mini as its low to the ground, poor boot space and access to the back seats via the 1/4 door on the drivers side is a safety issue, as its on the road side .

You're thinking of the Clubman, the Countryman is the same size as a Qashqai
    Motability Car History

Dont know a lot about this segment but:-
    1. Seat Altea XL 1199 with auto DSG and 140ps diesel engine, quick, great gearbox and engine and spacious. Returns 51.4mpg
    2. Honda CR-V 2.0 SE+ 5dr. 1999. Looks very thirsty at 33.6mpg but a decent size car.
    I am not sure how each car is specced but Seats are usually good and any extras are reasonable. There is also the Peugeot 3008. available in 3 trims, very economical 60.1mpg but I guess a bit on the slow side.
    It really can be a tough decision. Once I had chosen my car I then had to pick between various variants and trims and then add extra's. I think I got it right but sometimes think "wish I had spent that extra 100 on this". Good luck. If I can think of any other possibilities I will post.
    PS. Seat offer a convinience pack for 250 which includes rear parking sensors, rain-sensing wipers, light sensor and auto-dimming rear view mirror. That looks good value. another 320 gives heated seats and headlight washers and heated windscreen jets.
    Last edited by paul1234; 04-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.

I think when you have a family some things have to go by the board and pick the one that is most suitable for family needs even if it does seem a bit boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Ok, I've had my choices narrowed to these 3 for months now, and I can't decide.
    What do you think?
    A bit about me... Married no kids yet, but we are planning to adopt a couple soon, so needs good boot space (similar to my Qashqai). Looking at a higher than average car to aid my disability (Ankylosing Spondylitis), ideally the car should be less than 2k AP. After driving a 1.5 Diesel Manual Qashqai for the last 3 years I need something quicker but with an auto box and good economy, I drive roughly 13k miles a year.

All are Autos

1. MINI Countryman Cooper SD All4 1499
    Nice looking, a but noisy and has a small boot, but very fast.

2. Ford CMax Titanium
    Good boot, typical family wagon, fast but a bit boring.

3. VW Touran SE
    7 Seats for family versatility but boring and slow.

If you can think of any more let me know
    Hi Paul,

I've noticed you refer to two practical cars as boring - the most inappropriate car for a family you find exciting. Is it for you or the potential family.

Another thing - have you considered the safety aspect eg how many air bags and where. If you are lugging prams, luggage or bags of shopping out of the hatch you need easy access. Diesal sounds the best option as in the long term you'll save money with 60 mpg.

Remember your condition may get worse over the three years so you need easy access and good comfy bucket seats.

Ideally you'll want lots of little compartments for storing things in the cabin.

With the vehicle I have in mind for you there may be a four month waiting period before delivery as they are built to order and are above your price bracket but, here's a secret, approach Access to Work' and tell them the car is more than you can afford but meets your access needs. As you need the vehicle to carry out your job they will offer to put money towards the Additional Payment. They won't tell you how much they'll put forward but it will be a sizeable chunk. Offer say 500 and they'll pay the rest. Just don't order any car until they have agreed to pump up the money - it's not means tested

The ideal vehicle in my humble opinion - Renault Scenic Dynamique at 2600 AP - but you wouldn't pay that but only say 500 - perfect!

How about the S-Max or Galaxy? easy to enter and big enough for all your needs.
    Orb how about the Citroen Grand C4?
    Or the Peugeot 5008?

we all want "exciting" cars, but when it comes down to practicality, these choices change

LightTouch that's amazing, i didn't realise that they would help with APs.

I agree about the Scenic.

I think we'll probably go for the CMax, just got to decide whether to pay for the 5 or 7 seat versions.
    I really like the added practicality of 7 seats but not the extra length (for parking reasons), even if it's only 8" longer than the Qashqai.

ps It wasn't me who said the CMax was boring, my wife did. I think the VW is boring and the wife really likes it, but I'll be the one driving it.
    Motability Car History

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    LightTouch that's amazing, i didn't realise that they would help with APs.

I agree about the Scenic.

I think we'll probably go for the CMax, just got to decide whether to pay for the 5 or 7 seat versions.
    I really like the added practicality of 7 seats but not the extra length (for parking reasons), even if it's only 8" longer than the Qashqai.

ps It wasn't me who said the CMax was boring, my wife did. I think the VW is boring and the wife really likes it, but I'll be the one driving it.
    Get the VW, then you can blame it on the wife!