Thread: Wheelchair SOS

Wheelchair SOS

Hi I'm a new member and desperate for advice. I use a Phoenix Plus powered chair it is my lifeline. For the past year I have had several problems with my chair. The most recent being that the hand control will not respond and my chair is stuck in the slow speed. Trying to cross roads I have cars beeping at me and today I couldn't get in my home door as the chair wouldn't turn. The engineer came out at the end of November and just stared at my chair saying its obsolete cant get the parts and off he went. Well today I ring Millbrook Health Care who has the contract to repair wheelchairs with the council. I was told my case had been passed on to the clinical dept for a assessment for a new chair..when I asked how long that would be I was told it could be 7 months to a year. I asked if my chair could be repaired temporary until the assessment happened as I was struggling to get around with it. No we don't repair your type of chair now you have to wait for the assessment to take place. When I asked what I was supposed to do for 7 months to a year the reply was unless you are at the end of life, dying, you will not be put on the emergency list. So now I am left high and dry with a wheelchair that doesn't go. I cant walk at all and rely on my chair for everything. Can anyone give me advice what to do?

Biscuitgazer
    My powerchair stopped working and so I found a used powerchair on eBay. I looked for a private seller not a company and I looked on preloved, spock, my nearby Facebook sale groups etc. as well.

Sometimes private sellers are clearing a house and sell them cheap because they have dead batteries, but for about a hundred pounds one can replace the batteries with a new one (or cheaper if they do less miles on a charge). The chair I bought, the charger didn't work (too cheapskate, I suspect) but my old charger did.

It took me some time to find what I wanted, time when I could not walk, so I feel for you.

I had a similar experience but managed to get a better result.

I used a powerchair supplied via my local wheelchair service but it suffered a major malfunction with the seat mechanism. I'd had the chair for about 7 years, due to its age it couldn't be repaired. I was given a swift appointment by the wheelchair service but not knowing how long it would take to get a replacement I hired one just in case. There are plenty of places that hire both manual and powerchairs. This could be a short term option.

At my appointment, well more of a reassessment really, I was offered a chair right there. I took t as a loan as I wanted various additional options such as seat raiser etc, plus it was a mid-wheel chair which I really dislike and doesn't suit how I use the chair. Anyway, having drawn up a specification of a front wheel drive Puma 40 it should became clear the wheelchair service wouldn't fully fund it.

So, I used the wheelchair voucher scheme, together with Access to Work funding, to fund the Puma 40.

So, is Access to Work an option for you? Depending upon your condition you may be able to approach an appropriate charity for assistance with funding.

It might be worth writing to your local service fully explaining your situation and the effect having no chair is having on you, your health, your social wellbeing etc.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

[B[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I had a similar experience but managed to get a better result.

I used a powerchair supplied via my local wheelchair service but it suffered a major malfunction with the seat mechanism. I'd had the chair for about 7 years, due to its age it couldn't be repaired. I was given a swift appointment by the wheelchair service but not knowing how long it would take to get a replacement I hired one just in case. There are plenty of places that hire both manual and powerchairs. This could be a short term option.

At my appointment, well more of a reassessment really, I was offered a chair right there. I took t as a loan as I wanted various additional options such as seat raiser etc, plus it was a mid-wheel chair which I really dislike and doesn't suit how I use the chair. Anyway, having drawn up a specification of a front wheel drive Puma 40 it should became clear the wheelchair service wouldn't fully fund it.

So, I used the wheelchair voucher scheme, together with Access to Work funding, to fund the Puma 40.

So, is Access to Work an option for you? Depending upon your condition you may be able to approach an appropriate charity for assistance with funding.

It might be worth writing to your local service fully explaining your situation and the effect having no chair is having on you, your health, your social wellbeing etc.
    Thank you so much for your advice. I will look into the voucher scheme it might just be the way forward for me.

I borrowed a mobility scooter, which is my "plan B" for when my chair has broken down. It isn't bill but can get me to the nearesr shop.
    Preloved, ebay, and other 2nd hand options are a good temporary idea - see if any local dealers have 2nd hand ones.
    But it is "buyer beware!" - so check the batteries and charger before you part iwth money

Have a look through this to see if you are getting a fault code:

http://www.invacare.co.uk/sites/uk/f...6386fe49ea.pdf