Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to ask for medical evidence for PIP appeal?

How to ask for medical evidence for PIP appeal?

I was wondering how specific you should be in a letter to a consultant when asking for supporting evidence for a PIP appeal for someone with ME/CFS? For example should I mention things the DM has said in the decision letter that I consider are wrong?

I dont want to appear to be asking leading questions but as ME/CFS is such a complex illness it might be hard for the consultant to know which areas to focus on without writing out a huge multipage essay which I assume they dont have time for.

In my opinion, you DO need to be specific. There's no need to criticize anyone, as they have acted on the information as presented, and it's that which is inadequate and/or unspecific for the purpose of the Descriptor.

Therefore, you need to politely request an explanation to elaborate on the position; such as:-

Dear Xxxxxxx,

Following a telephone call I received on XXxx January from a DWP Decision Maker, I have been requested to supply medical evidence or an official report for an independent opinion regarding my Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

This request has been made following a re-assessment for PIP benefit, where the Health Professional at my face-to-face interview has reported back to the DWP that for the Descriptor of ‘Xxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxx’, he considers that I “can do this, that and the other unaided”.

In consideration of this, my award for this element of the claim is zero points. However, at the previous assessment, etc, etc, etc.

... and finished off

In view of the above, I would be grateful to receive a report from you, indicating your opinion as to my xxxxxxxxxxxx issues, so that I can notify the DWP accordingly.

Yours sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by Timalton View Post
    I was wondering how specific you should be in a letter to a consultant when asking for supporting evidence for a PIP appeal for someone with ME/CFS? For example should I mention things the DM has said in the decision letter that I consider are wrong?

I dont want to appear to be asking leading questions but as ME/CFS is such a complex illness it might be hard for the consultant to know which areas to focus on without writing out a huge multipage essay which I assume they dont have time for.
    Hi
    I would also suggest a supporting letter from family, friend/s, carer, or anyone who deals with you on a daily basis and has first hand experience of your limitations.

Obviously a note from a consultant carries a lot of weight but it could be construed you have 'led' them on because they do not deal with you daily. The same condition can affect people in different ways. The tribunal need to hear from people who know you.

Also offer to pay a reasonable fee to cover "administration" costs.
    Medical people love the sound of £sd !

...a lot have a set fee for letters - our gp charges £20 a pop for them

Mine was £30, well worth it.

Hi all in a pickle. I need evidence as taking to appeal however saw a consultant today only appt in couple of years. I discussed the issues of my pip decision, and he did not know what pip was, when I explained he gave a huge sigh. Anyway I asked as he is my spine consultant could he do a short note outlining my diagnosis and my prolonged prognosis and my mobility issues which were extremely evident on visual and exam. He said ask your Dr, I don't do that its not my job. I Saud I would be happy to pay a fee etc. Nope no go. Thanks. K

Unfortunately if he's not willing to write a letter there's nothing you can do except go back to the GP as he suggested.

Thank you for your help everyone, I think I've just about balanced being specific with not being leading. I will send it off and hopefully he's willing to write something.

Sorry to hear your consultant won't help kimheidi, best of luck with your appeal.

What a ridiculous situation.

The DWP don't believe the claimant without evidence, and the Professionals won't provide the evidence.

Isn't that discrimination against the disabled, as I guess they provide information to insurance companies for whiplash claims and the like.