Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold calls on the phone

Cold calls on the phone

Hi, I've not posted here for a while but felt like a rant after the amount of cold calls I've had since I received my state pension just last November. Don't know where they get my ex directory land line from and same on the mobile. Always had them but now it's like they have a list and know who is getting a pension and who isn't cos all the calls lately are about things they want me to have that you can get when you're a pensioner. I know me and my husband are not entitled to freebies cos we're over the financial limit (just) but the calls still come. Last one was asking if I was on ESA before I retired, I said yes, in the support group and then the woman said we would be entitled to a free central heating boiler if ours was over 4 years old. Well, it's over 10 years old so I was actually interested. She said that if I had been on ESA in the support group during the past 18 months (which I had) we would qualify but she had to have details from the original letter saying I was in the support group. I told her I didn't have it but surely they could get proof or I could and could contact them again, but she said no, it had to be today. I thought that sounded dodgy to be honest and wouldn't have given her certain details as I'd never heard of the company she was working for (can't remember it now). I reckon they are just trying to get details from you and then con you somehow. I didn't accept the offer of the boiler as she said she couldn't do it without that letter and that it had to be now, why TODAY???? Crazy. Even had a call from someone saying he was from Age UK and that he knew I had some debts, which I don't. I told Age UK about this and they were grateful for the info. It just drives me mad and most times you can't ring back and the number is withheld. Wish it would stop, the calls get me down but don't want to change my number. My phone providers are EE and they said there isn't much I can do except go ex directory but I already am. Rant over, lol.

Definitely think the boiler one was a scam. Targetted because pensioners are more likely to have older boilers and more likely to need one.
    I get the same - just hang up, don't even bother being polite about it.

When I took medical early retirement over 5 years ago I too was inundated with phone calls from scam artists trying different methods of getting your money through investment schemes. And I'm ex-directory too.

There are a few things you can do.

1. As Reddivine said - simply put the phone down.

2. Log on to the 'Telephone Preference Service' and register your landline and mobile with them. This will cut our 80% of nuisance calls.

3. If a friendly person phones you asking for 5 minutes of your time to answer a few personal questions about your living habits.
    Do not continue the call as these people sell all your personal details into companies and as you have freely given email addresses, phone numbers they can call or write to you.

4. If contact centres call me I stop them in their tracks by saying I'll take the call but my time is precious and I charge £10 a minute if they want the call to continue - the phone will go down like grease lightning!

5. Boilers. If you were in the support group on income related ESA you may have been eligible for a new energy efficiency boiler.

I am with the telephone preference services.
    As Lightouch says,this cuts the number of calls.
    While it does not stop them all together, it enables you a quick cut off.
    I always say,I am sorry,I am registered not to receive these calls with the telephone preference service
    Nine times out of ten,they apologies for troubling me and hang up

My phone is ex directory but I rarely use it.
    I prefer to use the mobile phone which is also registered on TPS. Any unwanted callers can easily be blocked for good.
    I did make a point of informing the last pest to call the landline that his company were breaking the law by calling a registered number. Obviously they must have removed the number from their computer which updated the main database they use, I have had no marketing calls for years. The same applies to junk mail use the Mail Preference Service.

I've found that being ex-directory or using the Telephone Preference Service to be a waste of time. I think it is because some of these companies just dial random numbers as well as targeting certain groups.

I got around it by getting one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Damned annoying that it puts more money in BT's pocket, but it fixed the problem one hundred percent. In a year of using this, I've not had a single nuisance call get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    I've found that being ex-directory or using the Telephone Preference Service to be a waste of time. I think it is because some of these companies just dial random numbers as well as targeting certain groups.

I got around it by getting one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LZTHUK8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Damned annoying that it puts more money in BT's pocket, but it fixed the problem one hundred percent. In a year of using this, I've not had a single nuisance call get through.
    how does it work Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    how does it work Sky?
    It's pretty simple really (aren't all the best ideas?):

When someone calls that isn't in your phone book (or has a withheld number), your phone answers and tells them that you are using a BT call blocker service (my line is not with BT by the way).

They then have the choice of leaving their name or hanging up. You are only alerted once they have left a name; the machine gives you their name and the choice of whether to accept or ignore the call.

If you choose to accept the call, you can set the phone to accept calls from that number in future.

It also has an answerphone that works in the normal way for people in your phone book. Messages can't be left by anyone else, so you don't have to listen to and then delete any junk calls either.

Thanks for all the tips. Will try some of them but I usually hang up esp if there's a delay before the caller speaks and their English isn't very good, that often gives the game away.

I'm afraid that being ex-directory & TPS registered, I delight in being incredibly offensive towards cold calling sales callers, questioning their intellect usually works really well as they lose their cool.