Thread: Still waiting to hear when to return the car

21 days is up tomorrow for return of notability car, but haven't heard anything

My partner has been awarded standard rate motorbility rate and we have been awaiting a letter about returning the car, pip started 28/12 dla ended 21/12

How long did it take to get a letter to return your car? We are getting worried that we won't qualify for the transition payment due to the delay in the letter
    Last edited by Johebr; 01-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.

You have an extra 4 weeks to keep the car after the date your DLA ends.

Have you informed Motability that you have lost the higher rate?

Yes I have been in touch with them three times, 1st time to tell them the decision and twice more about a letter, they have told us not to worry we have 3 wks from the date of the letter to return the car, but this doesn't really give us peace of mind, we really do need the help of the transitional payment to buy another car and so are frightened that this delay is going to stop us from receiving the payment.

When I read the the website for info it states that the car has to be returned within 21 days of dla been stopped, so is that 21 days from the 28/12 when payment stopped for us?

I was also awarded standard mobility, I got the decision letter on 31st Dec, it was dated 27th Dec. On it it says my DLA will end on 24th Jan . On the 3rd Jan I got a letter from Motability saying the car had to be returned by 14th Feb, so yes, that makes it 3 weeks after DLA ends.
    I made an appointment to take it back on 13th Feb. I would ring Motability again and insist they at least give you a date for the return of the car. I would also suggest that you pop in to the dealer where you got the car from and have a word with them, they can access the comuter details.

Quote Originally Posted by C.C.L. View Post
    I was also awarded standard mobility, I got the decision letter on 31st Dec, it was dated 27th Dec. On it it says my DLA will end on 24th Jan . On the 3rd Jan I got a letter from Motability saying the car had to be returned by 14th Feb, so yes, that makes it 3 weeks after DLA ends.
    I made an appointment to take it back on 13th Feb. I would ring Motability again and insist they at least give you a date for the return of the car. I would also suggest that you pop in to the dealer where you got the car from and have a word with them, they can access the comuter details.
    Are you going to appeal the decision?

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    Are you going to appeal the decision?
    No CTCEL I'm not. I did it in 1994 and won at tribunal and was given a lifetime award of High Mobilty & Middle care, then I was given High Care/Mobility under the right payment programme in 2009. The assessor has lied on the report the DM's 'summing up' of the report is laughable but I haven't got it in me anymore. I'm sick of fighting against them. I got standard on both until Dec 2020 so bearing in mind I could lose that with a reconsideration I've decided to leave it as it is.
    What's annoying though is that I'm 68 this year and only just missed the 65 age for staying on DLA, yet I got my pension at 60, so was officially retired anyway. Makes no sense lol.

Going into full meltdown over this now, my 21 days is up tomorrow 17/01 and still haven't heard anything

Quote Originally Posted by Johebr View Post
    Going into full meltdown over this now, my 21 days is up tomorrow 17/01 and still haven't heard anything
    Ring them, I rang and they're very friendly & helpful, you could also ring the dealership where you got the car from, they will have it all on the computer. At least the you can show that you have made an attemt to return it. The letter could have gone astray, my letter saying my DLA was finishing and I had to apply for PIP went next door and they were away, I got it in time but it could have been different.Ring them today.

I spoke to them 1st thing this morning, had a terrible nights sleeps over it, they have reassured me that I won't lose any support package, it's the dwp that hasn't informed motability and they can't do anything until they have, as this is very rare that it happens, they are flexible with the return of the car.
    Will sleep better tonight now

Quote Originally Posted by Johebr View Post
    I spoke to them 1st thing this morning, had a terrible nights sleeps over it, they have reassured me that I won't lose any support package, it's the dwp that hasn't informed motability and they can't do anything until they have, as this is very rare that it happens, they are flexible with the return of the car.
    Will sleep better tonight now
    Glad that's put your mind at rest Johebr, they may have neglected to send the notice to Motability but I bet they don't forget to alter your payments!