Thread: How to dress for your tribunal

How to dress for your tribunal

I have my PIP tribunal in 2 weeks and everyone I've spoken to keeps telling me to turn up looking as awful as possible - unwashed hair, rumpled clothes, tired, etc. This is kind of concerning to me because part of how I deal with my anxiety is to plan and prepare and make sure I look my best. I'm constantly afraid of being judged so looking a mess makes me really uncomfortable and self-conscious.

Is this something I should ignore for the sake of my appeal? I'm a bit worried it'll seem like I'm putting it on if I purposely look awful.

This question might seem a bit silly but I'm really freaking out about this tribunal. Usually when going into a situation like this I go over what I'll be asked and think of everything that could go wrong and prepare for it. I'll get as much info as possible and know what time it'll start, how long it'll last, etc. I have no idea what to expect from this (I've never been to tribunal before) and I have no idea how I'll cope with being in front of 3 people all focussed on me and making judgements about me (which is like an actual nightmare to me) so I'm trying to control what little I can - like my appearance.

Any advice for preparing for tribunal or coping with the actual tribunal, etc is welcome.

I would say go as you normally are day-to-day. Don't make a special effort to look spruced up and good, but also don't deliberately dress down or try to look especially unkempt. Just be who you are in your daily life. Good luck

I have been in the past i just dressed in casual clothes and my hair was scraped back in a ponytail i wasn't scruffy but i wasn't posh either..if we over do it they will think we cope with no help but going dirty and scruffy then we will be judged on that too so go in the "in between" play safe with casual and wear flat shoes too as if we wear heels though most of us cant we would lose points on that i imagine..so yeah casual and best of luck.

I agree, just go as you would normally dress everyday.

You are not going on a date or for a big night out, but neither are you trying to be a down and out.

Perhaps a good guide would be to wear what you would for doing your weekly shopping; just your everyday clothes.

Whilst it's good to think things through and be prepared, you can do too much and make yourself anxious.

A lot of people are worried about going to tribunal, and then after they have been wondered why they were worried in the first place.
    Tribunal panels tend to be a friendly bunch, nothing like the Atos/Capita/Maximus assessors.

This video explains what goes on at tribunal and shows a typical tribunal hearing.
    Its an ESA tribunal and is few years old, but they haven't changed and a PIP tribunal is much the same
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbWXG6Ho4i8

Here's a more up to date video that gives general advice for any benefit tribunal, I've only skimmed it but it seems pretty good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76GDhGIi60A
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just going to wear what I usually wear - trainers and some comfy clothes. Thanks for the youtube videos. I'll have a look through. Hopefully it'll set my mind at ease. I had seen a couple of videos before but they had said the panel were really tough so that worried me more.

Be yourself. That's all you can be. Best of luck to you my fingers are crossed you get a great outcome, I'm just starting my appeal process, going to CAB this morning to try and get to see someone. Just quick question scarlet spy how long has it taken from sending off appeal letter to hearing?. Xx. K

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspy View Post
    I had seen a couple of videos before but they had said the panel were really tough ....
    I often think that a lot of this is down to the claimants attitude.

If you go to any kind of interview with the attitude that 'they' will be against you, act surly, only give grudging one word answers, and generally be uncooperative - then you are going to have a tough time of it.

If go to your tribunal with the attitude that this is not the DWP, the panel will listen to you, and they are there to give you a fair hearing - then things will go more smoothly.

You see some people, even on this forum, who seem to assume that the whole benefits system is 'out to get them' personally.
    It's not, nothing could be more impersonal than the current benefits system.

When things do go wrong it's not because they are 'out to get you', it's just the incompetence, and lack of attention to details, that you get in any large government department.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-12-2017 at 12:25 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Thanks. I spoke to my representative yesterday which has put my mind at ease a bit. I'm just really worried about how I'll come across. I'm not sure about being able to cope with the situation and I think the fact that the f2f interview said that I didn't appear anxious during my assessment and used this to dismiss my anxiety disorder it making me really worried. I know logically that the tribunal is impartial and that CAPITA/DWP are not always impartial/competent but those comments in my report really hit me hard and they've burrowed their way in and won't let go.