Thread: Recording your PIP Assessment

Recording your PIP Assessment

Hi all. I am waiting for my pip face to face and have brought two cassette recorder to record my face to face for future just in case i need it, could any one tell me if this would be ok as it only states in the rules and regs a recording devise capable of making two copies

Two cassette recorders (or two CD recorders) are acceptable, others have used this method in the past.

It is preferable, but not necessary, that the recorders are identical.
    The media must be identical, ie. you can't use one tape and one CD.

Digital recording is not acceptable, it must be physical media - tape or CD.

I assume you are aware of the general rules regarding the recording of a PIP assessment?

eg. You have to give them advance notice, the assessor must agree to be recorded, you have to give them one signed and dated copy of the recording (you should get the assessors signature, as well as your own, on both), you are (supposedly) limited in how you can use the recording, etc.etc.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

I can see the advantages but I wonder whether stats could be established through making a Freedom of Information Request as to how many assessments have been recorded and what was the outcome PIP wise, and to compare that with the vast majority of assessments unrecorded. For example, any hesitation in answering or nervous sounding answer could be presented by DWP as being evasive or uncertain and of course 'they' have a copy of the tape and will doubtless transcribe it and study for the potential of undermining the claimants reliability. For many claimants it could also protect them but what is certain is that the claimant seeking to record will 'stand out' and almost certainly be resented by the HCP

After my experience with these so called 'experts', I think I would advise any new applicant to record it.

A lot of the things discussed during mine, never even made it on to the notepad that the assessor was using.

By having a recording of everything that was said, it would be far more difficult for them to 'accidentally' miss important parts out.

After my experience with these so called 'experts', I think I would advise any new applicant to record it.

A lot of the things discussed during mine, never even made it on to the notepad that the assessor was using.

By having a recording of everything that was said, it would be far more difficult for them to 'accidentally' miss important parts out.

Quote Originally Posted by XFACTOR View Post
    ..I wonder whether stats could be established through making a Freedom of Information Request as to how many assessments have been recorded and what was the outcome PIP wise, and to compare that with the vast majority of assessments unrecorded....
    Why not give an FOI a go yourself? It's pretty easy to do.

This website makes it even easier, it is recognised by most authorities you may want information from. (I use it myself).
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/help/about

There are a couple of things to bear in mind when making an FOI request:
    • You must use a 'real' name, it doesn't have to be your name but must 'look' real. They can refuse to answer otherwise.
    • You can't ask for personal information, yours or anyone elses, that is covered by the DPA and will not be released.
    • Remember you are asking for information/statistics that they hold. They don't have to, and won't, answer questions or give opinions. It's all about the wording you use, try looking at some successful FOI requests to the DWP to see what works. (and maybe compare them to the unsucessful requests to see what doesn't work and why).
    • Try to keep it simple and don't ask for too much all at once, you can always request a follow up later. There are cost limits for providing answers, ask for too much and they can refuse on cost grounds. (If you send more than one FOI about the same subject at the same time they can lump them together for costing).
    • Have patience, it can take time to get your answer, but there are limits they are suppose to comform to.

Up to now I have a 100% success rate with FOIs to the DWP and elsewhere, although I still have a few outstanding and one is well overdue for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by XFACTOR View Post
    .. 'they' have a copy of the tape and will doubtless transcribe it and study for the potential of undermining the claimants reliability....
    Actually they don't, the DWP don't get them unless you are going to rely on it in court.
    The assessment company puts them with your file, unlistened to, and it is kept for a number of years in the archives before being destroyed. (That information came from a FOI request about destroying personal data).
    They only get listened to if you are going to use your copy in court, nobody has the time.

The main point of making a recording is that it makes them more careful about just what they say and what they write down during the assessment.
    Thay don't want to write anything that the tape can easily prove to be lies.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-11-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Well the FOI request that I said above was long overdue for a reply has been answered this afternoon.

I got all the information I asked for, so still 100% sucess rate with my FOI's.

The information I got will be of interest to others and I will post it in a new thread once I get it organised.

Well went for my ftf with capita and 40 min into it we had only covered 4 of my 19 medical problem and because i have memory problem some of the stuff she came out with i could not answer so she stopped the ftf and said " we will not be able to cover all your medical problem in the hour " and that i would have to have a home visit, I was not happy and told her so, anyway when i got home my wife phone capita and gave them a real ear bashing and they said i should not have been asked to come in and that they would do my pip claim with what i had put down on my pip claim form, so now i await an answer but i dont trust them