Thread: ESA WRA when claiming CA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ESA WRA when claiming CA

Hi

I'm not sure if this it correct or not so I thought I'd ask. I read that if you're claiming ESA (WRAG) they can't make you do work related activity if you claim or are entitled to carer's allowance. Is this true?

My adviser keeps saying I have to do WRA to keep my benefit but I'm caring for my nana full time and I'm struggling to find the time. I don't want to lose my ESA because my health issues are still there and changing to a IS/CA claim means I would lose a chunk of money each money that I can't afford to lose.

Also, what kind of activities fall under WRA? Is this just things like volunteering or does it include training courses, etc?

Hi
    Various criteria, click this link.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-ad...lated-activity

Are you sure that you would lose money on is and carers?
    As you are not in support group I,m not so sure

Thanks for the link TanyaG!

Debbie - I used the entitledto calculator which said I'd lose about £29 per week if I moved from ESA with carers premium to Carers allowance with IC top up.

I'm still a little confused about what counts as WRA. Even if you're exempt from WRA you still have to go along to WFI to look at possible ways to get you back to work. If my adviser tells me to contact a charity that helps people with getting back to work (they do confidence building, training courses and eventually get you into volunteer work, etc) does this count as WRA? At my last interview the adviser (first time I had met her because they keep changing my adviser) kept saying that if I didn't take part in WRA I would lose my benefit. She was very pushy telling me to contact the charity and giving me a deadline despite the fact that I kept saying I didn't think I could cope with volunteering. I didn't know about the exemption from WRA for people receiving carers/carers premium so I didn't argue with her when she kept saying I had to take part in WRA to keep my benefit.

I told the previous adviser that I saw that I'm caring for my grandmother full time. Actually when I first decided to claim CA I asked her during one of my interviews how this would affect my ESA. She told me she didn't have a clue. She wasn't even sure if I could keep claiming ESA while being a carer. How am I supposed to know where I stand and what I can refuse to do if the advisers themselves don't even know.

Like I said, I have notified them that I'm claiming CA. I'm not sure if my new adviser just overlooked this and assumed I need to take part in WRA or if she thinks I don't know any better (which I didn't) and is trying to push me into something I don't have to do.