Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No spare tyre

No spare tyre

Hello

New to posting on the forum although have been a follower for some time.

I have just taken delivery of a new Zafira on the Motability scheme on behalf of my severely autistic son who lives in a residential home. The car is now down at the home and will be driven by his carers. I was staggered to discover that there is no spare tyre within the car, it comes with a can of foam located in the boot which will inflate the tyre until it is repaired. What happens if there is a blow out on the motorway? What annoys me the most is that this was not explained to me before submitting the order - if there had been an option to purchase a spare tyre, I would have gladly paid for it. The thought of having an autistic adult stranded on the motorway with no spare tyre fills me with horror! The dealers response was to call out the RAC and ask for a tow truck!

I didn't have a spare tyre on my grand Picasso and had to use the foam. Well actually I didn't as I couldn't physically do it, the RAC man did it for me.
    It actually only took a couple of Min's to attach and re-inflate the tyre and I could carry on to my destination then find the local Kwick-fit to get repaired. Only they didn't bother even though it had only done around a thousand miles the stuck a new one on.

Yes, if you have a tear, blowout etc, you have to ring the recovery service.
    I was in a worse psoition one time, my tire shredded and the Avensis I was driving had a mini spare, rated to 50MPH.
    Have you ever driven along the M40/M42 at 50mph? very scary, lorries hammering up behind you then blaring their horns, nice!

the reason is to reduce weight and costs. What I always do now is pay for a full size spare.

Have you ever been stuck at the side of a motorway with a puncture? It`s the scariest place to be with 40 tonne lorries hurtling past you inches away!! Phone up the RAC everytime
    But, like tinker says, when it`s a bit safer to do so the cans of foam only take a couple of minutes to work.

I only ever suffered one puncture on the way to Gatwick to pick up my son. After hearing a strange noise we saw a sign for services 1 mile and pulled into a service station on the m25 or 23, called the AA (pre motability days) and they put the spare on. We got there on time too!
    With no spare tyre now its a different story. My Golf has a space saver and the car I have ordered has run flats.
    I agree with the other posters, in the event of a flat tyre call the RAC.

Even with having my own trolley jack and impact wrench (to get the nuts off), I still call the RAC. I'm just not well enough to do it myself anymore.

I've even got a non Motability RAC account for my wife just for that reason, she wouldn't have a clue about changing a trye and why should she as we pay good money each year for the RAC to do their job.

You'll find that most new cars won't come with spares as standard, they should still be on the options list though. This is due to all the new emission regulations - the heavier the car, the more CO2 it puts out.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 21,500 miles; avg 34.3mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I am amazed that anyone has not mentioned why the owner of the vehicle did not look in the brochure for the vehicle concerned and clearly see what the vehicle includes as standard fit. Using excuses no one told me is rather lame. Perhaps the vehicle was chosen because it looks pretty and has nice wheels rather than looking more into it

Quote Originally Posted by KIANSDAD View Post
    I am amazed that anyone has not mentioned why the owner of the vehicle did not look in the brochure for the vehicle concerned and clearly see what the vehicle includes as standard fit. Using excuses no one told me is rather lame. Perhaps the vehicle was chosen because it looks pretty and has nice wheels rather than looking more into it
    strange comment? perhaps they choose on cost comfort and other things

Yep the spare wheel is extra expense and weight, and I agree with some of the ealier posts.... I would not myself be able to change a wheel, theres no way, so the RAC would be coining to rescue me!! Unless I was with someone who could change the wheel, but even then at he side of the motorway I would probably opt to call the RAC and not want my nearest and dearest to attempt to change a wheel at the side of a motorway.

It's similar to th boot light or electrically folding wing mirrors, some more expensive cars don't come with these as standard on base models, but lesser expensive cars, like Hyundai i20 do... Very weird, need to check brochures with fine tooth comb- this is what I do, get a printed brochure and go through each feature I know i will need... Excessive but works for me!?

Michelle26: have you asked if you can buy spare wheel as optional extra, as I doubt it needs to be factory fitted, and the space for the wheel will be there regardless is you selected it as extra or not? But unfortunately I think the emergency repair kit is becoming standard rather than a spare wheel.
    Last edited by Rachael-7; 09-11-2012 at 02:24 PM.

I went to order a Volvo once and was told by the dealer that a FULL SIZE spare should be included for Motability. He included it on the order sheet with zero cost, that was 2010 so may have changed now.