Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: finding jobs for the disabled

finding jobs for the disabled

Having watched a repeat of prime ministers questions today, and hearing a question about people at Remploy, being offered voluntary redundancy, after Nick Clegg said they would be looked after, it made me think.

If these people can't be guaranteed a job, in a company for disabled workers, what chance is there of others, who are unable to work, being found employment?, PM did not look too concerned and talked about the new work programme and it's aims ,Nick Clegg, looked embarrassed.That could just be my opinion of course!
    Last edited by saintjanet; 02-02-2011 at 11:13 PM.

You have to ask yourself one question “if you were a manager of a company would you employ a disabled person” when there are over 100+ unemployed people fighting over one job that are fit and well
    1. manager – is there something in it for me i.e. money (incentive) from government
    2. can I pay him/her less money
    3. do I get any brownie points
    years ago after 2nd world war large company’s had to employ a certain number of disabled people well that has fallen by the wayside, unless the government reintroduce it (not in a thousand years) there will be loads of disabled people just left on JSA until there pension comes up

Unless you are on contributry esa then you don't even get that....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You have to ask yourself one question “if you were a manager of a company would you employ a disabled person” when there are over 100+ unemployed people fighting over one job that are fit and well
    1. manager – is there something in it for me i.e. money (incentive) from government
    2. can I pay him/her less money
    3. do I get any brownie points
    years ago after 2nd world war large company’s had to employ a certain number of disabled people well that has fallen by the wayside, unless the government reintroduce it (not in a thousand years) there will be loads of disabled people just left on JSA until there pension comes up
    Even at my advanced age, i do not go back as far as the war!, i take your point though, my father worked in an iron foundry as a superintendent and was involved in recruiting, in the 60's and 70's, they always employed a couple of mentally and physically disabled people, doing jobs that were useful, though often not too demanding, designed to suit their abilities and they were paid decent wages too.It seems that there is much less compassion these days i am sorry to say, and i agree with you about the government , although they are going to pay firms to find disabled people jobs, i wonder who will benefit most from this?
    Last edited by saintjanet; 02-03-2011 at 01:20 PM.

I believe that good managers will employ people regardless of disability. Work is about more than the bottom line in monetary terms. It is also about being proud of what you do every day. For me that means giving people a fair chance whether they have a disability, do not have the perfect qualifications or the right experience. I have seen a lot of people flourish in work after being given the opportunity. I do agree though that often managers will not do this. But I see them as small minded.

I must to apologise for originally posting this on the benefits thread, sorry someone had to move it, but thank you for doing so, Jan

Account deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frogster View Post
    I believe that good managers will employ people regardless of disability. Work is about more than the bottom line in monetary terms. It is also about being proud of what you do every day. For me that means giving people a fair chance whether they have a disability, do not have the perfect qualifications or the right experience. I have seen a lot of people flourish in work after being given the opportunity. I do agree though that often managers will not do this. But I see them as small minded.
    You are joking of course, if a person has a disability and that disability is serious then sadly he will in almost 98% of cases be rejected, and now that they will be making people in the Public sector redundant boy look out.

I've applied for over 980 jobs in four years I've had four replies all negative, then I had a job offer and was turned down by Tesco because you had to be able to do the same as the non disabled.

I was on TV a few Years ago with Peter Hain, and the DRC and Professor Mansell Alyward talking about Remploy closing, Peter Hain stated all the people made redundant would be much better off in main stream employment, that was five years ago, I know for a fact not one single person made redundant has found a job.

In my area Asda has made all the disabled people it once employed on short term contracts unemployed.

So do not tell me good employers who the heck are good employers.

I'm looking at trying to do a work prepration course, but the good news is I have contacts and I may be able to get some work experience but a part time job and that is what I will only be able to do might be questionable unless people I know can help with this to.

I've applied for over 980 jobs in four years I've had four replies all negative, then I had a job offer and was turned down by Tesco because you had to be able to do the same as the non disabled.

If you were going to be paid the same, then surely you have to expect to be able to do the same

Account deleted
    Jesus what a silly answer.